CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Dyno/quarter mile results

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dyno/quarter mile results

I was running 117s for bit than tried some 125s. When I was running these jets especially the 125s it seemed not to accelerate as fast as it did when it was only at part throttle meaning it was running rich at the top end. Once I dropped down to the 110s the bogginess went away ans seemed to pull harder too. Remember that the jets provided by Dynojet in the stage 1 kit are equal to Kehin 100s and 105s. Dynojet and Keihin jets are rated on different scales. Those needles are much thinner than the stock ones. Tonight I experimented by dropping the e-clips back down to the stage 1 setting (3rd notch). I will run it to tommarow and see how it responds. Marc Salvisburg from Factory Pro recommended 87 octane because he said the head designs were fairly ping resistant.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:10 PM

thank you some else understands this concept. its not metal shaving but tiny metal specs from detination that land on the plugs and really can only be seen when you turn off the motor after doing a 100% full load in 1 gear. if you do not shut down and check the plugs you end up washing out the plugs due to the gas. those little metal shaving are from your pistons breaking apart which in turn can cause hot spots on the pistons you do not want that. and how can you say i didnt change the motor why would i need to run 93+ octane in the bike? you did not change the engine itself but you did change the time when your plugs will fire in relation to the height of the piston to head. when your detinating in 6th gear at low rpm and real hot you arnt detinating you are pre igniting big difference. i want to see your plot of the dynos uncorrected as i read you had 1.03 correction rate(smooths out) that will be an indication.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:38 PM

I'm not stupid when it comes to reading spark plugs. I've already done countless full throttle runs up to about 100 mph than shutting the motor down afterI pull the clutch in. Guess what no shavings or pieces of pistons melted onto the plugs. Just tan normal looking plugs. I understand the whole concept of higher octane fuels and detenation. Regardless, octane alone doesn't account for that much of a loss.

EDIT: Also remember the mainjets now are actually bigger then the ones provided in the stage 1 kit. Stage 1 jets are actually equivelent to about a 100 and a 105.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:46 AM

I would guess your not getting enough fuel. you absolutely should be around 70hp at the rear wheel. Especially if you can run it half throttle and it runs better and you have to baby it up in the rpms.

I would do a compression test and a leak down test to make sure its within range. If that all checks out ok, I would then move onto increasing the jet size futher. Being that your bike has a full exhaust, intake mods and advanced timing, you need quite a bit more fuel than stock or even a stage one kit. I would actaully go as large as I could until the plugs started to look darker. then maybe back off one size. If you have the stock components, I would start switching them back to stock one at a time and see if there is a problem. I would start with the intake and move onto the timing advancer.

Also, you may want to put the tubes back in. Sometimes when they are removed. It creates a lot of turbulance within the air box. not a huge deal, but you can actually loose a few hp. I would consider using aftermarket aluminum tubes, butI would leave tubes of some sort in place.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:30 AM

Something is VERY wrong. Those Dyno and 1/4 results are way off. You should easily be in the 12 second range if you can ride at all. My car has 425 crank HP and ways about 3500 pounds. It runs the 1/4 in 12.6 seconds on street tires. My '88 cane is quicker. I would really start searching for the answer. My cane is fast compared to some others due to little secrets but not that far off.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:51 PM

Last week, I decided to move the e-clips up to the 3rd clip as per the Stage 1 instructions. Let me say that I was shocked as to how the throttle response improved and those full throttle runs seem crisp and less boggier. Here is an email response I recieved from Dynojet regarding their jet kits for this bike model:

The Dynojet main jets are sized differently than the stock main jets and the tip of the Dynojet needle is smaller than the stock needle allowing for fuel through the main jets, do to this you can not compare the stock jets to the jets in the kit.

Michael Cory
Research & Development

Phone: 800-992-4993

Here is a great credible website that explains how to read your plugs when checking the jetting of your bike. Alot of people misunderstand how they think the color of the porcelin is the indicator of how the A/F ratio is.
http://www.4strokes.com/tech/sparkplg.asp

Old 06-19-2008, 09:59 PM

Would a change in needle clip height effect the 1/4 mile ET? Reason being is due the increased snappiness after moving the needles up to the 3rd clip. Next week are the races and I want to try and improve my times.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:55 PM

It certainly could have an effect. Anything you do to help it run better will improve 1/4 time but ET is not an indicator of HP, that is an indicator of how quick you can get rolling from a standing start. HP is measured by MPH. You can run .2 slower but have a higher mph becaue you make more HP but got a slower 60ft.
Do you know the MPH? You should be in the 112-116mph range at the end of the 1/4......it sounds like you might only be in the 98-102mph now.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:07 PM

That sounded about right. When my bike was dynoed, it did 106 at the redline in forth gear which is about where it was when I crossed the finish line.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:25 PM

UPDATE: After a few races at the local airport, I definitely improved my ETs and RTs. The changes I made from last time was a needle adjustment, replaced spark plugs, and loosened the chain a bit. My first run I improved right off the bat. I beat a brand new Ninja 650 and newer CBR 600 but lost 3 times to Suzuki Bolevard 1500 and a sled.(Boy they got some juice!!). Here are my times listed from slowest to fastest.

ET. RT.
13.390 1.150
13.374 .925
13.265 .898
13.196 1.033
13.087 .866

They way i see it, this bike is capable of breaking into the 12s but I still need the practice. I really improved my launces because my RPMS hardly dropped as I let off the clutch. There was also a little tire slippage but overall I really think this was a big step. I beat a new Ninja 650!! Not bad for an 18 year old bike with nearly 27,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Dyno/quarter mile results