CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Choke help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010 | 09:34 AM
|
Default Choke help

Took my carbs out the other day, replaced some very worn needles and seats. Bike seems to be running really rich still, maybe even more rich than before. I think i may have a sticking choke, the lever is pretty stiff, and doesnt return when release, i have to push it back by hand. Was wondering where the best place to purchase a choke rebuild or carb rebuild kit would be.

Old 05-02-2010 | 01:00 PM

remove your tank and airbox and see if the choke mech returns properly. You may need a new cable, annnnnnd it wont hurt to take the choke rod that connects al 4 carbs together and clean it up, sometimes it gets gummed up with crap and doesnt slide properly, causing the choke to stick open...

Old 05-02-2010 | 08:30 PM

I just got done taking my carbs on/off a few times and I was able to move those little "pistons" that are actuated by the coke cable quite easily by hand... they don't have much resistance.. but the choke lever is meant to be moved each direction when the cable is connected.. it is not supposed to return on its own.. or do you mean that you have to reach down onto the carb to help it move back? Is the bike all put back together when this is happening? Just for kicks, I sprayed a bunch of WD 40 into my choke cable and a bunch of junk came out - it does move much better now. Iif you can press it all the way to the "normal" running position, then attach the cable.. you can see how it is moving the mechanism pretty clearly before attaching the carbs back onto the bike.

Old 07-12-2010 | 09:40 AM

im having the same problem with the choke lever being stuck on something, or the cable not pulling properly. what should i do?

Old 07-12-2010 | 12:18 PM

pretty much follow the posts above.
you'll need to pull the tank and airbox to get a good look at the choke mechanism.
its either your cable hanging up, the rod connecting the carbs, or an individual carb is sticky. it would be a good idea to pull the cable off, flush it with WD40 to get and dirt and crap out. then see if you can move the chokes by hand, might need to clean and lube it. if its still sticking, you'll need to disasemble the carbs, clean, and follow the manual and reassemble

Old 07-12-2010 | 07:31 PM

You could try lubricating the choke lever at the handle.

My throttle tube was sticking and wouldn't return so I put some oil in it and it slides nice and smooth now. Could work with the choke also.

Old 07-13-2010 | 11:30 AM

I have removed the airbox. The choke cable moves freely when it is not attached to the choke (SE Valve) arm. The arm itself is locked in position, it will not move. I can move the black vacuum pistons (i assume they act as choke plates) easily by hand. These are resting in the closed position. My next idea is to disconnect the choke arm from the SE Valves to see if they move freely or if one of them is stuck. I did find that the previous owner has bypassed the valve solenoid, completely removing it from the bike. I don't know if that is related to this or not.

Old 07-13-2010 | 01:51 PM

im confused what the valve solenoid is? the black vacume pistons aren't related to the choke system, and seem to be operating normaly.
you're on the right track removing the choke arm from the rod and determine if the rod is stuck, or probably an individual carb.
has this bike been sitting for a while with fuel in it? now would be a good time to pull the carbs, remove the float bowls, and clean them out.

Old 07-14-2010 | 06:34 AM
Smile

The guy I bought it from said he rode it regularly but I don't see how he could have with the choke locked shut. The battery was also just replaced so I think it was probably sitting more often than not. I didn't get the arm off last night as the screws are gllued in place. I am soaking them to hopefully loosen them up so they don't strip out. Once I get them out I'll post an update. I really appreciate the input guys, thanks!

Old 07-14-2010 | 09:25 PM

Okay I pulled the carbs, cleaned them as best I could without opening the bowls or taking them apart. I cleaned the SE valves and now the choke arm and cable moves freely. I put everything back together. The bike will start with the choke closed, as soon as it starts to open the bike dies. If I give it gas, I need to goose it to get it to rev up otherwise it dies out as the RPMs climb out of idle. It idles fine when it is choked though. Any ideas? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Choke help