CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

cct

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 05:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drakito
Ok that guy is actually dead center between pistons 2 & 3 on our bikes. You will need to remove the gas tank, airbox, and carbs to get to it(unlees you got really small hands). It is on the backside of the motor on the piston section. (you know head section, piston section, bottom end section) One of the coolant hoses mounts to the right side of it, and the coolant neck goes around it. Just 2 bolts hold it in and you need to replace the gasket around it. Its on pages 8-2, 8-3, 8-4, and 8-19 of the Honda service book. I can e-mail you a copy if you want. However the noise could be about 4-5 other things. When you remove the cct it should move freely and easily however if it does not, you were probably right. If it does your cam chain guide, valves or cam carrier could be loose, missing or out of alignment, or even worst case scenario: catastrophic head failure. Thats what happened to mine 3 years ago. The intake cam's oil journal clogged and the aluminum decided to weld itself together on a fast canyon drive. So BOOM!, driving along all fast and fun, then squeeeeeeeeaaaaal, then pop, then BOOOOOM!. but it kept running squealing the whole way. Got it to a mechanic and had to replace the whole head, intake cam, and cam carriers. Since we have cam chains the motor justed poped the welded parts apart. I've got pictures if you want them too. Uber nightmare, so no bike for like 2 months while parts came in and were wrong, you get the idea. Also he put it together wrong about 5 times before he got it right. It spewed oil the first 2 times, then started to squeal, then puked oil again, than finally, finally he got it right. So I learned a ton about bikes then and have not been to a bike mechanic since(also went and rechecked all his work and had to fix torque specs on the cam, I am a car tech). He at least got the port/polish correct. Anyway you, or anybody needs anything from the owners manual, just ask and I'll e-mail the relevant page, anything to help other hurricane owners.
Can you send me some pictures of that please

Old 05-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another option for you w00dsy is to download the entire workshop manual from CBRextreme.com. That way you get almost everything, including all the troubleshooting guides. The only information missing that I know of is for the California spec emission control bikes.