CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

cbr600f 90 backfires and not run well HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cbr600f 90 backfires and not run well HELP

Hello all

When bike is on idle you can hear small backfires and it wont stop like backfires is part of exhaust if you know what i mean, also i run into in first gear theres alot backfires something like wrong or bad cap plug ignition timing when ...
i change stator, regulator changed also did stick coil mod, new sparkplugs but theywere just siting in bike since i didnt drive it. carbs i guess They are ok.
alSo i notice When the stator is not connected on 3 PIN PLUG i have voltage from 18V and more depends on throttle, but when i connect on regulator i dont get same volate i get something like 7-9 and That worries me. So i tried to disconnect more Possible wires celled lights regulator etc to si if silent backfires but no changes ..

Old 09-07-2015, 04:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did it run before the stick coil mod? Did it do this before the mods? Maybe you got the plug wires on the wrong cylinder. The only time my F2 backfired like crazy was when I got the plug wire mixed up and the spark plugs.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:31 PM

nahh is not plug wires coz it worked fine when i mod it...if i can remeber its 1&4 and 2&3

Old 09-07-2015, 09:17 PM

You haven't explained when the backfiring started. Was it right after one of the mods? You say you changed the R/R but only have 7-9 volts. Was that when the backfiring started? You also say the bike sat for a while. Was it after it sat that the backfiring started?

If it backfired after the R/R change you may have a bad reg or bad connection. If the backfiring started after the bike sat you probably just need to pull the carbs and clean the choke and idle circuit passages.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:14 AM

ok heres a story: i have moded it on stick coils changed plugs and some more tiny problems i had and give it a test ride and it worked fine i have maybe drive it 2 days then i got sick something and didnt drive it about 2-3 months i think its not that long to need carb cleannig or something. I already try new stator and regulator and no changes, even if i disconnect all of them it will run same way. I will try today to get some pics and video maybe it will help.. Thanks

Old 09-08-2015, 11:09 AM

The description really sounds like you need to pull the carb rack and clean the passages. You might try some Seafoam gas treatment in the tank, but my experience is that you actually have to get into the float chamber and spray out the small passages with carb cleaner to get the bike to run right.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:14 AM

Thanks for info ! i will give a try tommorow and give you info.. also u might be right coz i left without fuel last time so maybe something from tank get in carbs.. cya soon

Old 09-09-2015, 08:55 AM

Ok heres some videos and pics. i will explain all.

First i did took off carbs and clean them but still same story..

i will first show a pics:

So here when is regulator connected to stator i have about 8-9volts on all 3 wires

And here 17-19volts when stator is not connected to anything, all 3 wires same voltage.

I have also try to connect just one wire and i got about 12-13volts when i connect next one i can see that volts are falling...
Also tested with old regulator but same story.

While i was testing voltage you can hear exhust sound and backfires.

i guess something is wrong with electrcty or whatelse if someone could help me it would be great..

Videos:

Last edited by desiprika; 09-09-2015 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:53 AM

You should be seeing something like 30-50VAC at the stator plug when you rev the bike up to around 4-5K. Note that is AC volts, not DC. Measure the resistance between each pair of yellow stator wires. It should read around 0.1 to 1 ohm. Then measure resistance from each yellow wire to ground (the frame). It should read open, no continuity.

Last edited by Doc B.; 09-10-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:06 PM

Hi, i have measure resistance and its about 1ohm all 3 wires and no communty on ground CHECKD. also you are right i got more then 30v when rev bike.. But all that gone when connect it on regulator.. as i shown in last post. THANKS

Quick Reply: cbr600f 90 backfires and not run well HELP