CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Carb Problems Finally Solved!

Old 09-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carb Problems Finally Solved!

Well a little back story first.

I removed my carbs to install new mixture screws as one was siezed. Ended up breaking the head off the siezed one (not that hard as theyre brittle as dried cow ****). So had to try to drill it and use an extractor, didnt work ended up going to the scrap yard and getting a used set of carbs. Thats all fine and dandy.

So I pull them apart to clean/rejet them, ended up having 2 bowls full of corrosion, beyond saving, so i had to use 2 of my carbs (luckily neither was the one that was royally f'ed) So thats fine, got that all done rejetted and cleaned, install them, bike fires up and idles at 4000RPM with the adjustment backed all the way out. (Not good I say) Out they come again.

Swapped out a throttle plate and it seems to close better, install them again, still idles at 2000RPM same thing. Also have 3 bowls leaking. Out again!

Loosened all throttle plates, and open and shut the throttle a few times to finally get them to seat right, tightened up the screws and that parts solved. Pulled the bowls off again and pulled the gaskets out, put my old gaskets in (after spraying them with silicone lubricant) and reinstalled them.

Fired er up runs good, no leaks...........except for the fuel spewing out of the vent.......Out again!!!!

Found that a needle was grooved, so swapped ina needle and seat from my old set, and checked the float height, set that to 9mm and in they go again!!

Fired it up AGAIN and for some reason doesnt sound right to me, too deep like a 4 wheeler almost.......I say wtf?! and hold my hand over the header, pipes 1 and 3 are scorching hot where 2 and 4 I can grab with my hand.........ok running on 2 cylinders now....confused.....

Loosened the drain screws on carbs 2 and 4 and nothing comes out! Ok floats are wrong......look at my ruler, the damn markings dont start until about 5mm up the ruler!!!! So they were actually set at 14MM!!! Yup alot of good thats going to do, the damn bowls are holding the needles shut! So after calling myslef an idiot along with 20 other names, OUT AGAIN!

Cut the end off my ruler with my side cutters, reset the float height REALLY to 9mm this time and installed again. Fired it up, sounds amazing! Better than it did before! now at a 1000RPM Idle, if I crack the throttle wide open, theres no spit, spudder, stumble NOTHING!

Before it would stumble until it got to about 3000RPM (indicates float height issue) but now nothing! Cant wait for this Hurricane(an actual storm) to pass so I can take out my "Hurricane" LOL

But anyway, if anyone needs some carb parts, I have 4 just sitting in a box(only good for parts due to corroded bowls on 2 and some parts I had to use on mine.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carb Problems Finally Solved!

that makes me think that there is a lot of **** wrong with my carbs and that i will have no idea how to fix that **** when i take em apart..

Old 09-27-2008, 09:35 PM

just do exactley what i did and download the haynes manual, tells u step by step how to do anything.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:48 PM

****ing sweet. ill get on that. and i might need those parts haha. idk ill let ya know.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:55 PM

the main thing about doing carbs and setting them up properly is patience

Old 09-27-2008, 10:58 PM

You overlooked the 2nd most important thing, ATTENTION TO DETAIL. without that, all is for nothing. If heresjohnny doesnt need em, I'll take those carbs. I need to fix a few things on my set yet.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:06 PM

hey man first come first serve, u want em' there all yours. i dont know the first thing about any of this yet.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:37 PM

true detail is good as well. about the carbs, whoever wants them ill be charging 40 plus shipping for the box.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:59 AM

True, first come first serve is definitely how the world is, but I just had a thought, all I need is the choke components if they're any good. mine refuse to move by way of that cable. If you need other parts, take the carbs, and I'll cover the shipping for just the stuff I need, that way everyone wins.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:55 AM

ok well i need to be getting that manual first. where did u download the manual from tds?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carb Problems Finally Solved!