CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

carb problem help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb problem help ASAP

1987 cane. just pulled the carbs and replaced some gaskets to fix a fuel leak. now i cannot et the bike to run without giving some throttle as soon as i let go it shuts down. Also sounds alot lower and deeper soundthan usual. someone please help i want to ride before the storm comes

Old 09-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Default RE: carb problem help ASAP

Hiya... so what have you checked or set up already? The potential problem is so broad it could be anything from changed idle setting to - you've bumped a wire and its an ignition problem. Suggest you download the workshop manual from CBRExtreme.com and troubleshoot, or give us more info on what you have checked or already attempted.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:44 PM

well i tried adjusting the idle to no avail and put it back where it was. Now after troubleshooting a little i have relized that the PO had a carb that was leaking gas. this is what i was fixing however i did not relize that they had adjusted the mix screw all the way in on this carb and now it is locked in there (wont budge). ****! i am not yet sure if i am going to have to replece this carb. hopefully not. I am afraid to put heat to this area because of the gas.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:42 PM

well, fortunatly i pulled the carb put heat to it and was able to remove the screw. now hopefuly that was my real problem to begin with. Waiting for the carb to cool so i can reasemble and try, try again. I will keep posted

Old 09-05-2008, 07:55 PM

i really am not sure what to do at this point. I just put some new gaskets into the carbs. Did not touch my jets or anything. It idled and ran fine before i did anything. i tightened the mixture screws all the way in and backed them out 2 and 1/4 turns to sinc them and it still will not idle and sounds like a damn four stroke fourwheeler. im getting fuel through to all of the carbs, no smoke coming out the exhaust, and it will run if i hold the gas (just doesnt sound right pitch wise) one thing is i do not have an airbox on it, however it ran and idled fine without it prior to this. thoughts?

Old 09-05-2008, 07:59 PM

Does it have individual air filters?

Old 09-05-2008, 08:15 PM

are the little springs still in place at the throttle plate adjusting screws? maybe one popped out, and one carb is way out of sync?

Old 09-05-2008, 08:58 PM

Normally it runs ok without the airbox. Are they the original carbs? Did you take them off, in which case when putting them back did you tighten up the rubber connectors to the head OK? Vacuum pistons OK (if you removed them)? Floats set correctly? Choke/bystarter valve setup correctly? Plugs indicating rich or lean mixture? If you didn't touch the jets, you probably didn't clean the carbs - might dirty fuel have got into the jets/passages when you removed the carbs (if you removed them)? All ignition system wires properly connected? (Bike will start & run even with only 2 cylinders, but it sounds funny ....) . Not an exhaustive list - but more can be found from the manual at Rrasco's CBRExtreme.com site.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:02 PM

one thing that I'm thinking here, aside from carb synch is a float height issue. nothing would honestly surprise me though.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:33 PM

[align=left]well, i pulled the plugs and saw that my #2 and 3 plug wires were not getting spark. i traced the problem to a loose connection. after doing so i am running again however i am idleing very high like 6-7k. i have backed the idle control **** all the way off and remember i tightened the pilot screws all the way in and then 2 turns out to begin syncing (without a sync tool). But i cant start to do this untill i can get the idle down to normal range. thanks for the brainstorming so far guys this site is great. more incite would be awesome
[/align][align=center] [/align]

Quick Reply: carb problem help ASAP