CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Cane has carb/idling issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cane has carb/idling issues

My cane idles high at 1700-1900 rpm's I can't stand it. When I turn the idle **** the revs will go up but not down.

Also my bike hangs when idle some times like 2000 rpm's I have to give it gas for it to drop most of the time. I think the cause of the hang up is cause I cleaned the carbs last summer and I kind've jammed the float pin in on carb (1) I believe. If so where is a good place to get float bowl pins?

Old 03-13-2009, 10:49 PM

first check your throttle cables. there should be a little slack in both cables. tight cables can also cause sticking throttle, and not close the throttle plate fully.

the float height could cause one carb to run real rich, and flood the motor, causing your idle problems. the pins are sometimes tight to install. whats important is if the float pivots freely on the pin?

Old 03-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you cleaned your carbs did you remove your throttle plates? if you DID there is your problem, they have to be put back in just PERFECT otherwise they get wedged a little open and high idle issues arise. I had to pull my carbs 3 times to fix that when i did it. make sure with the idle screw backed all the way out that you cannot see ANY of the holes in the venturi. that confirms they are closed fully. (carbs have to be off to do this.)

Old 03-14-2009, 09:43 AM

sounds like they could just not be synced

Old 03-14-2009, 06:09 PM

here is a link to the tool i used to sync my carbs http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=572
you want the smaller SK, its only $34. i easily and acurately sync'd my carbs, hold against the carb, adjust, move to next. no tiny screws and tubes of mercury.

Last edited by tripicana; 03-14-2009 at 06:14 PM. Reason: measured tool OD
Old 03-17-2009, 06:37 PM

I just pulled the carbs out. I must mention that the throttle cables were a bit tight but I was unable to test it since I pulled the gas tank off already I'll make sure to give slack when assembling. I checked all the floats and they all move up and down freely and easily.

I'm thinking some how they got out of sync. I did not touch the plates and when I did cleaned them last summer I tried to not get them out of sync from touching I shouldn't but there is always a possibilty. tds94probe what is the venturi so I can check the plates?

If plates are all shut I'm just gonna sync the carbs when I get the money.

Thanks for replies guys

Old 03-18-2009, 12:26 AM

the plates aren't supposed to be fully closed. they will be close, you'd need like a .002 wire feeler gauge to check. by the book, you are supposed to line up the throttle plate with the bypass hole inside the venturi. the holes are on the bottom of carb bore, right past the throttle plate. you should be able to see them pretty easy with the carbs off.

with the carbs connected and mounted to intake bracket, start with #2 carb. turn the adjusting screw until the throttle plate covers first little hole. line up the other three throttle plates with their bypass hole. install carbs on bike and you should be pretty close. make sure the idle control **** is backed off all the way before you start adjusting.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:30 AM

use a little o-ring lube, petroleum jelly, or spit on the carbs/boots. the carbs will slide right in place.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:56 PM

I adjusted my throttle plates and the idle is beautiful.It runs around 1300-1400. Thanks Tripicana and everyone else for the help. If it weren't for sites like this I'd be paying out my *** and it's educational to. I even noticed the clutch lever working better as well but that's probably from cleaning my carbs. I have a list of things I got to do to my bike but I'll post another thread.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:18 AM

good job. its not really as hard as some make it out to be. glad everything worked out well.

Quick Reply: Cane has carb/idling issues