CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

brand new header question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008 | 11:02 PM
|
Default brand new header question

Hello,

I recently won an auction for a never-used after market header for my 1990 CBR 600. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170191293772

I amalmost 100% positive it is a Yoshimura header from looking at old pictures on eBay of previous Yoshi systems sold. Judging from the pictures, the stock header and this new header have different geometric bends which means my Vance and Hines slip on will not be able to bolt onto this new header. My plan is toincorporate my SS2-R muffler along with this header. I would like to keep theway the muffler looks now but some how figurea wayof connecting it to this header pipe. One idea I have is toweld onpre-bent exhaust pieces from the exhaust sectionat Autozone. I'm pretty sure I could do this with little hasslebut the only down-side is those pieces are crushed bent (not mandrel bent). I know many people say that crushed bent tubing is a waste but how would it really effect the performance of my bike? Regardless or not if the tubing is crushed bent, I'm sure it will still be more free-flowing than the stock header. If I go this route I would still like to incorporate my chrome midpipe that came with my SS2-R.

Does anybody have any suggestions? If I would go that route, I would only need like 2 small angled pieces to complete the system.

Old 02-10-2008 | 11:57 PM
Default RE: brand new header question

i think the yoshi header exits at the same location as the stock pipe. the bends are different because of the better merged collector.

Old 02-11-2008 | 12:46 AM
|

I could of sworn by looking at both pictures that the Yoshi header exits nearthe center while the stocker exits off to the right. Ya never know because there only pictures. I hope your right. It will be neat saying I have a custom exhaust set-up with a Yoshi header and V&H can.

Old 02-11-2008 | 09:26 AM

I know you said you wanted to use the SS2-R midpipe, but if worse comes to worse, I think you should just be able to fab up a custom midpipe that would work.

Old 02-11-2008 | 12:05 PM

the yosh midpipe was a 2 bend piece since oem units were right side routing. you shouldn't have much problem making a midpipe to fit. don't worry about the fact that the tubing will have kinks in it. it's not like you are trying to get every last drop of power out of the engine for racing. street riding will be fine. the exhaust from front to back is already larger, a couple of bumps in the system won't hurt. post some pics when you finish.

if the kinks in the piping are really bugging you, see if a muffler shop or custom exhaust shop with a mandrel will bend you a section of tubing. or if you are a decent welder, chop the pipe and weld it up wijiri (sp) method.

Old 02-11-2008 | 09:20 PM
|

I promise I will post pictures but they may not be up for another month or two because my bike is sitting in my garage all stored away until spring. I as well am not worried about the crimp bent pipe. After I get it all welded together, I will paint it up really nice so that it looks really professional. I would like to keep my midpipe only because it's chromed but if i have to hack a bit off of it to make it fit then so be it. The only exhaust shops around here use crimp benders so I'm out of luck there too.

EDIT: By the way, look what I found if anyone is interested. This was my original plan until that header popped out of no where. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-Ho...2em118Q2el1247

Old 02-19-2008 | 02:27 PM
|

Well today, I got the header in the mail and it looks really good. Some how I just have to fugure out a way of bending up a 6-7 inch piece of pipe so that I can connect it to the midpipe that came with my SS2-R. The new header exits in the center than rather off to the right like stock pipe and about 6 inches short too. I was looking at pieces of flexible pipe that are sold at any parts store. That would be cats *** but I know that those pipes only last a year at most. We'll see what happens. Again any suggestions would be welcome.

Old 02-19-2008 | 04:47 PM

do you have a way to cut tubing? if so, just cut tubing into triangular sections for turns and then weld together. it's a bit of work but don't have to worry about kinks in the tubing at the bend points and can be done routed anyway you want. totally custom.

Old 03-11-2008 | 11:35 PM
|

UPDATE: So far the new exhaust is coming along well. I tried to use a prebent piece from Autozone but failed because I needed another small bend. I then turned to the services of a local exhaust shop who bent me up a piece for 10 bucks. After three trips back and forth to the shop to have it tweeked a bit more I finally came close enough to howI wanted the muffler angled. The piece I had made was roughly 16 inches with 2 small bends. The pipe itself is 1-7/8' I.D. with a 2' I.D. inlet from the new header. Even though this was notmandrel bent, I still think it should serve me well.At the 2 most extreme bends I figured that the diameter was about 1-3/4'. As far as muffler, I had to build an extentionbracketso that it could bolt up. The only thing different is thatthe mufflerwill stick back another 5 inches so now the tailpipe tip will be as far back as my lisence plate holder. I will include more pics onceI paint up this new pipe and bracket with heat temp paint and have it bolted on. Here are some pics of the piece I had made.

Old 03-15-2008 | 02:31 PM
|

Well here is the finished product. I took it for a spin today and even though the roads were covered in anti-skid, I still had a few straight stretches that were clear enough to hammer the throttle. I'mimpressed with my work and my exhaust even got louder. I had to fab a up a bracket for the muffler because I couldn't get the pipe in the same spot it was originally.

Quick Reply: brand new header question