CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Brakes Locked On Rotor

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes Locked On Rotor

Need a little help. I've never worked on auto or moto brakes before. After spreading the pads and remounting my front calipers to the bike, I began to add dot 4 to the reservoir and followed my manual to bleed the line.

I ran out of brake fluid before I got all the tiny air bubbles out of the lines, so I just cranked down the bleed nipples to finish later.

Then I noticed the brakes were engaged on the rotors. Is this because I still have tiny air bubbles in the line, or do I have to remove the the calipers and spread the pads again. Thanks for any help, I can't find the help in my manual.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:04 PM

Disc brakes should lightly touch the rotor surface. You should be able to spin the wheel easily.

KongBastard

Old 11-27-2009, 06:34 AM

when your front tire rotates the small in-perfections(slight warp) in your front rotors well spead it apart so it well have a little clearance this is normal.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:05 PM

I have no clearance between the rotor and pads. The left front caliper is clamped onto the rotor. It's the second caliper I've tried and it's still dragging hard. The lines are free of air bubbles, the pads are not worn beyond their limit, I'm still searching for answers. I'll have my new fuel tank tommorow, so if it wasn't for the brake issue I'd be ready to ride. This sucks!

Old 11-30-2009, 02:22 AM

If they are used pads, you should have no issues with the pads being too tight. Double check that you have everything assembled correctly. Check that the calipers are clean, that the mounting bolts are lubed where they are supposed to be, etc.

When you squeeze the lever and then release it, the pads should just barely retract. If they are not doing that something is stuck, whether it is the caliper bolts, the cylinders, or seals are causing the issues. You may have to rebuild the calipers.

KongBastard

Old 11-30-2009, 04:11 AM
November 2009 ROTM

Also,if you have the incorrect Lever fitted,this will pump the lines ,but wont release it causing the Pads to lock on.
Trust me, i rode a Kawa GPZ1000RX & this happened,in 5 lanes of Traffic.Discs/Rotors went Blue.............
Something to always remember!

Last edited by cbrsixpack; 11-30-2009 at 04:23 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I was giving the caliper a look a couple days ago and for some reason I thought I might give it a swift tap with a hammer.

The pads realeased! Until I pump the lever again. I'm thinking a good cleaning and rebuild should solve the problem. There must be some gunk keeping the piston from retracting.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:18 PM

i had this problem with my rear caliper. i took it off and cleaned the pistons, there was so much rust or what ever had formed there that it was holding one of the piston in place. pump the brakes and the pistons should come out. if not i ran mine under hot water for a few min and worked it out with some pliers( very gently) i had to file some nicks off before i put it back together. after giving it a good cleaning with a wire brush and bleeding the brakes it works great, and doesn't lock up!

Old 01-13-2010, 06:01 PM

Thanks, dewdog. I haven't got around to doing that yet but I will soon. I've been busy replacing a handlebar and brake lever after they both broke when the bike fell over. Money-PIT!!!!