CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Bike overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bike overheating

only problem with a lower t-dat is when cruzing it may be over cooling the engine. which is bad for fuel millage and detonation/pre ignition

Old 08-22-2008, 06:27 PM

I have never heard of pre-detination as a result of overcooling?? Overheating for sure but overcooling would most likely prevent it.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:18 PM

I was just going to ask this same question. Glad to see that i am not the only F1 owner this is happening to. Does everyones start to idle high too when it starts to heat up? Mine tends to start idling at around 3-4k while heating up......

Old 08-26-2008, 09:38 PM

Mine started running warm on my way home from work in the evenings. Started getting worse and within a few weeks the head gasket blew. The head gasket was starting to go and that's why it was running warm.
You may could check your compression. Probably wouldn't hurt. I didn't and I am still paying the price.
Just thought the bike was running warm and didn’t realize the radiator was pressuring up with exhaust and over flowing the over flow reservoir. It’s not fun changing out the head gasket when you don’t have much time to work on it while hoping you didn’t do any major damage pegging the temp guage.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:40 PM

drain your coolant, flush and refill with new, properly mixed stuff.

Put in a new t-stat. I am not sure if they had different ones for other coutries that have hotter climates, but if they did you could try one of those. It may be rated hotter or colder than your current one. Sometime a cooler one opens too early and the coolant doesn't get a chance to soak up the heat

Wash your radiator and oil cooler to make sure you have good flow.

You can richen up your fuel mixture a little.

Cleaning the carbs will not do anything. The fan doesn't come on usually until the engine is very hot. You could also mount an additional fan but I doubt it will help.

The heat gets trapped by the body work and has no where to go so you need to make it as efficient at as low a speed as possible.

KongBastard

Old 09-13-2009, 03:12 PM

Hello all,

Last Sunday I went for a six hour ride with a few friends (zipping round the country lanes of Hampshire) and on the following Tuesday followed a mate on a 125cc as he's preparing for his test and was slightly shocked at how hot the engine got as we got stuck in afternoon traffic. I suppose I would have not noticed this before as normally I would have filtered past the traffic but the thermostat reached 4/5ths of the gauge which was slightly disconcerting especially when I realised how hot the seat was. Once I managed to get up to 35/40mph the thermostat dropped to normal levels quite rapidly. Because I couldn't overtake traffic (being with the 125), I just left a substantial gap between the vehicle in front and tried to force a little bit of air through the machine, which provided a temporary solution (whist being as safe as possible).

Last edited by Cuzy; 09-13-2009 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added sig
Old 09-13-2009, 04:41 PM

Here are some easy step to do some basic trouble shutting for over heating.
Remember these are only basic steps but very easy to limit simple problems.
You can check your fan By grounding our the wire to the thermoswitch(located on bottom corner) if it comes on then the fan is good.
You have to remember that the fan dose not come when the bike gets warm it comes on when it gets hot most of the time between 3/4 - 4/5.
if the bike gets past that point and no fan comes on you need to replace that switch If it dose and temp goes down then that is normal because at idle(setting stell) there is NO air flow across the radiator.
If the fan comes on and the temp still goes up you have another problem remember you well have about 3-4 minutes to do this simple test once the bike gets to 3/4 range so watch it well.
check your radiator make sure that it is clean
check radiator cap make sure rubber seal is not cracked
check your coolant level make sure it is all full in both radiator and overflow
if Your over flow begins to fill its self to the point it has way to Much you have a big problem consult shop
To check and see if your pump is flowing is not so easy to do but You can do it.
take your cap off the thermostat housing start your bike give the bike hard throttle 2k-2.5k you should see some movement(coolant well rise and lower slightly).
You can also wait and see if the t-stat opens this way to but really don't advice this to a n00b for safety reasons.
truthfully if You dought the t-stat easier to just replace it.
There are more technical steps to follow but You would probably be better off consulting a manual.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:30 PM

my brother had a problem with his 87 over heating in trafic but my 88 wasent ever getting past half on the gauge so he replaced the temp sensor and it went back to normal. you may want to try that as they dont cost much from what i remember and it may fix your problem entirly. there may also be some way of testing the sensor so that you dont waist your money but you'll have to look that up

Old 09-17-2009, 11:17 PM
Default heres the mod for air intake it seems to help

My OLD FZR600 was already set up this way thats where I got the idea. Works well especially in hotter places like TEXAS

https://cbrforum.com/forum/album.php...pictureid=5315

Old 09-20-2009, 06:51 PM

I stay away from heavy traffic and if I do have to play in the city it'll be for short periods as I've experienced a overheating issue as well, but just coasted to the side and let her cool down. Besides, what fun is riding a sportsbike in the city?