CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

bike chatters after hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: bike chatters after hard acceleration

Check the rubber block on the front end of the swing arm to see if the chain has been rubbing...could be too much slack in the chain. Under acceleration the chain is pulled tight above the swingarm, let off and the slack comes to the top.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:46 PM

My thoughts same on that too... check chain tension - total movement should be about 5/8" or 20mm in the bottom strand midway between sprockets.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:13 AM

I would certainly suspect the chain first and foremost. then check the wheel bearings in the back wheel too. I have to swap a set into an F2 rim soon so I may do a writeup on how to do those.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:03 PM

Worn out spockets or cushion drive can produce shuddering as well. Check swingarm bushings too, if they are worn the whole *** end of the can shift around although Ive never seen them bad enough to chatter. Wheel bearings or a worn axel are possibilities. Have a friend follow you and see if the bike dog tracks under acceleration.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:31 PM

Well I don't know about clutches on motorbikes, but if the sound is comming right from your gearbox. It could be a faulty throw out bearing, or equivalent. Does it make the noise in neutral with the clutch engaged?

Old 12-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok guys lets actually READ what he initally posted.......when I pull the clutch lever in it STOPS......that automatically eliminates Chain/Sprocket/Wheel bearings.

When you say replaced the clutch assembly, you mean the fibres/plates/outer clutch(basket)/inner clutch? And if so, did you use NEW parts?

On these bikes, the clutch basket is riveted to the flywheel, after time these rivets get worn, hard acceleration/launches as well as wheelies, causes this effect much faster. How do you check? Remove the clutch and basket, while holding the empty clutch basket in your hands, see if you can rotate the flywheel one way and the basket the opposite, if there is any play at all in the clutch basket, this is your problem, and yes you will have to somewhat strain yourself to make it move if it is in fact bad.

Also, after about 5 minutes of hard riding at operating temp, stop the machine, put it in neutral and listen close to the right side of the transmission case for clacking. If you hear it, pull the clutch lever in (bike still in neutral) and see if it gets quieter or goes away. If it does, also leans toward bad clutch basket.

Is there a way to tighten the rivets....No, not successfully. Is the part available from honda? Yes, I just purchased one, but be prepared to pay between $350 and $400 for it. So before you go ordering one, make sure you remove the clutch and physically check the basket.

Also, did you torque the clutch retaining nut when you reinstalled? to 65ft/lbs?

Old 12-03-2008, 06:21 PM

If YOU read what he actually posted he says its normal till he lets off... that would be when engine braking begins and would cause the chain to become taut between the sprockets below the swingarm and the slack to come to the top. Then he pulled in theclutch and engine braking would cease. Check the chain and sprockets for excessive wear or poor adjustment.

Quick Reply: bike chatters after hard acceleration