CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Arrrgh!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010 | 07:11 PM
|
Default Arrrgh!

I am brand new to this forum and so far am completely impressed. So here is my problem. I bought my 89' CBR-600 hurricane in March of this year with 38000 miles on it and it was in unbelievable condition. Only minor scuffs on plastics nothing real noticeable. It is my first bike and I love it. I have since put about 3000 miles on her and could not be happier. Until this past weekend. My wife and I also own a few horses and occasionally let them out of their pasture to graze on fresh grass around the house. We have twenty acres and most of it is fenced so there is no where for them to go but the yard.... and my garage. They got into the garage to get to my kids rabbit pellets and knocked my bike over. Anyone interested in horse meat? LOL. Needless to say my beutiful bike is now somewhat less attractive. I am sick over this and want to replace the damaged plastics on the bike but do not know where to go for the best prices and quality. Can anyone steer me in the right direction. It has the RWB color scheme and I wish to keep it that way, do they make the panels pre-painted in the original color scheme? And also mirrors. The horses on their escape, probably from the crashing CBR, also sheered off one of the mirrors. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-29-2010 | 10:16 PM

Reason number 11,398,492 that I hate horses...

Good luck, the plastic is hard to find.

Old 06-30-2010 | 12:04 AM

Sorry to hear about your bike,i have a similar story,shop dropped my mint '87 600 cane black/red,scarred lower and front fairing,body style is same'87 to'89 only paint scheme varies,i've searched internet and made couple dozen calls,only parts not obsolete are mirrors and side vent cover still avail from Honda.Airtech is a company that has fiberglas replacement body parts,will need to be painted and some fab needed to mount headlight etc... pretty cheap too,not sure of durability of fiberglas though,Good Luck,let me know if you find anything.

Old 06-30-2010 | 05:42 AM
|

Appreciate the help Ill let you know how it turns out.

Old 06-30-2010 | 10:15 AM

how bad are your plastics? did it break into a bunch of little peices? did you save it all?

you might try getting some plastic glue called Weld-On. it will melt and fuse the plastic together. harbor freight has a plastic repair kit that might work. and there is another product for repairing freezers that is like uncured ABS.

Old 06-30-2010 | 11:06 PM
|

They are not that bad. A couple of cracks and scuffs but they did not break into pieces. Just changed the oil and put all of the pieces back on and she runs great. I guess I can live with the minor uglies. At least every thing is in one piece. Your ideas about the Weld-On and the plastic repair kit are great and I may try that. It should take care of every thing that is wrong with the plastics and the one part the left handle bar that is marked "fuse" is cracked but not all the way in two so that might be a great place to use that stuff. Thanks for the ideas Tripicana I appreciate it.