CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

89 600f Slight Rebuilt

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome job man, its looking really good!

p.s. Awesome that the pics are taken in your kitchen!

Old 04-06-2012, 06:08 PM

For the most part I have finished most of the mechanical aspects that I wanted to tackle, so today I decided to get to work on the fairings.... Nightmare.
As previously mentioned the lowers I ordered off of maier, aside from being thin, flimsy and having ridiculously high shipping cost that's over with. The upper fairing that was on the bike is a disaster, tons of old fiberglass and cracks, everywhere. The old fiberglass was done very very poorly and half of it is splitting and cracking off. The previous owner seemed to like WOOD screws because I have been finding them all over. There was a wood screw in the front fairing that had been fiberglassed over yet he left the end of the screw sticking out the inside?
Does anyone have any tips on getting old fiberglass and resin off?
I was planning on painting the headers and the muffler with a high temp paint, it looks like the headers wont even need to be sanded as they are already fairly rough. The muffler might get a slight sand, im mostly just trying to cover the scratches and old faded paint.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:12 AM

Please, can you show me a pic of the CDI conector?? I have the wires burned and i must do i new wiring, but i canot identify the wire colors...

If sombody have the color wire position on the 2 cdi plugs i will be very grated.

Thanks

Old 05-11-2012, 07:18 PM

Painted the headers today, almost done the body work on the worst fairing of the bunch. Looking for paint suggestions, I was thinking about going stock or close to stock with a white or a light gray. But then I was thining about going a little wild and thinking about burn orange... Not sure how that will look with white wheels and a black fork? Anyone have pictures of a hurricane that is not a streetfighter in burnt orange?

Old 05-12-2012, 10:12 AM

Bike has come a long way great work. I love your improvised work areas, kinda like what I do. LOL

Old 05-13-2012, 08:46 PM

Made a major mistake when lining my gas tank, accidentally grabbed the liner instead of the prep solution and poured then entire thing into my gas tank which was half full of water... I put acetone in the tank for about a day now, its slowly being eaten away then I can do it all from scratch again!

Old 05-13-2012, 09:24 PM

Man, thats sh*tty... I just went through lining my tank with Kreem and it worked really well.

Just make sure you give the sealer enough time to dry. Mine dried for 10 days with a fan blowing at it for the full time.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:46 PM

Did you have any problems with the kreem plugging your pet **** valve area? I have almost got all the kreem out of my tank, but I noticed when I tried to drain the acetone the whole where my petcock goes was completely plugged, had to use a pressure washer to unplug it. I bought por tank liner as a replacement since I did not want to order the kreem online and wait for it to arrive again. cant wait until this tank nightmare is over with (on my third acetone flush)

Old 05-17-2012, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by xamdarb
Did you have any problems with the kreem plugging your pet **** valve area? I have almost got all the kreem out of my tank, but I noticed when I tried to drain the acetone the whole where my petcock goes was completely plugged, had to use a pressure washer to unplug it. I bought por tank liner as a replacement since I did not want to order the kreem online and wait for it to arrive again. cant wait until this tank nightmare is over with (on my third acetone flush)
Hey - It didn't plug the area completely, although it did put a layer of Kreem on the inside of the petcock area. I used a dremel tool to remove the Kreem so the in-tank fuel filter would fit back in.

My tank had some sort of liner in it as well... I needed to put a chain in the tank along with the Acetone and shake it pretty good to really get that stuff out. It was pretty easy to fish out the chain after it was done.

I also had to rinse the tank numerous times to get all the old sealer out of the tank - they were in pieces that was too big to flow out the petcock hole. Spent about 2 hours just filling up the tank with water and rinsing it out.

I feel your pain, keep at it - its good when its finished!

Old 05-17-2012, 08:15 PM

Theres a in tank fuel filter?
Thanks for the motivation, il need it

Quick Reply: 89 600f Slight Rebuilt