CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

87' A couple of issues / quick advice needed - Difficult to push + engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87' A couple of issues / quick advice needed - Difficult to push + engine noise

Hiya,

I am seeking some basic information regarding this bike.

The engine makes a ticking or knocking noise, but I can't say it sounds like CCT noise. Here is a video:

Is it possible this is a valve adjustment issue or should I still look at CCT? The bike isn't really running perfectly right now (Carbs leak gas, starts without choke, dies with choke, carbs not balanced, old parts in carbs,) but it was running semi-decent the other day. The ticking noise went away after I gave the bike some really solid revs so I guess the bike was fully warmed. The bikes oil looks great and it has plenty of it. Regardless of this, is there any oil additive that's safe for the bike? videos below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGtbwJRLMPU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HFRvHp_6tI

Also, the rear suspension has a good bit of "dive" to it when I sit on it. Not a whole lot more than my EX500, but it feels quite soft in comparison.

Finally, the bike feels REALLY difficult to push. Almost like it weighs 500-600lbs rather than the stated ~400. My EX500 supposedly has 40 lbs on this and I can easily roll it back and forth while sitting on it. The CBR seems to fight me and requires significantly more strength. There is no sound anywhere so I don't think the brakes are dragging. Could this be indicative of a wheel bearing issue?

edit: for the noise - I feel like its probably my exhaust gaskets. I've found another video that sounds EXACTLY the same and its inline with the rpms. It doesn't sound anything like cam chain and gets less audible with revs. I went ahead and ordered a set of four, but advice is always still appreciated!

Last edited by mh4ult; 09-05-2018 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You probably have, but check your tire pressure. I have a Harley shop and almost 100% of the time "difficult to push" means low tire pressure. If not, pull wheels and check bearings. They aren't that hard to replace as they just drive in and out. A large screwdriver and a hammer will suffice to drive them out if you don't have the right tool and an inexpensive bearing driver kit to put them in.

May well need valve adjustment. These bikes do have adjustable valves which are supposed to be checked every 8,000 miles. It's a bit of a pain in the *** so if you have the tank and fairings off now would be the time to check them. You'll just need a cover gasket and a set of feeler gauges so long as they don't need any adjustment, a screwdriver and a wrench if they do. There is a cool valve adjuster tool that makes it a lot easier and is fairly inexpensive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-PC-VALVE-...4AAOxyyF5RQgTf

Old 09-06-2018, 08:03 AM

Also available from Amazon for a couple fewer bucks.

Bikemaster Valve Adjustment Tool

Old 09-06-2018, 09:00 AM

Lmao I bet its the pressure. It hasn't been checked. I was googling for common causes of difficult to push bikes and didn't find a single post that mentioned tire pressure, but of course its the thing that would make the most sense

The bike DOES have uh . . 24k miles on it? The sound is identical to an exhaust gasket issue from another video so I'm almost 100% certain that's the issue. I ordered the exhaust gaskets already and will be looking at the valve adjustment section in the service manual. Its cool that the valves are adjustable . Are there any feeler gauges you recommend? I see some people use ones that have lots of weird angles. The only ones I have right now are tiny and flat for checking spark gap . . .lol.

Thanks!

Old 09-06-2018, 08:23 PM

@Heresolong

Much appreciated information man and great call on the tires. Both were at ZERO psi

I bumped them up to 33/36 for now and now the bike is SUPER easy to push. I'm obviously going to replace the tires at some point, but not until the bike is ready.

I'm gonna go through with the following and then I'll take it for a test ride:

Install exhaust gaskets
derust gas tank and red kote it
install aftermarket oem-style gas cap (unfortunately this will take a few weeks to arrive )
Swap chain to rivet type. Can't I just remove the clip master link and throw a same-size rivet master on?
Rebuild all 4 carbs and correct float level. The welch plugs are still in-tact for the A/F screw so I'm going to cross my fingers that I can get by without removing those and replacing the A/F screw and o-ring
Clean/Lube and adjust throttle cable

I think that covers most of the work that the bike needs to be ready to roll down the street. Can't wait .

Old 09-07-2018, 07:10 AM

Good list. I wouldn't bother with the chain. Nothing wrong with the old clip chains if it is in good shape. Just my opinion, though.

Hope it works. I've got two, neither of which runs right, but I also have two jobs and one of them is working on Harleys. By the time I get done working the last thing on my "want to do" list is working on a bike. They are coming along slowly, however. It also doesn't help that I have two running bikes so the sense of "I want to go for a ride" urgency isn't there on the two projects.

I have read (but not done) that coating a tank is sort of pointless as the coating will just eventually wear off and cause issues. Here's a link to a tank cleaning process that I thought was pretty interesting.

Cleaned Fuel Tank, Petcock, and Changed Front Brake Fluid ? 1981 Honda GL500 SilverWing

Old 09-07-2018, 09:14 AM

Yeah there's a ton of back-and-forth with tank coating. I did my sv650 a year ago in the middle of winter and it has been just fine. You do get some red gas, but it doesn't seem to affect the carbs.

Do you know where I can buy mirrors for this thing? I don't want those ugly turn signal mirrors. I found 2 oem ones on ebay, but theyr'e both right side :/.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by mh4ult
Do you know where I can buy mirrors for this thing? I don't want those ugly turn signal mirrors. I found 2 oem ones on ebay, but theyr'e both right side :/.
Keep looking. AFAIK there are no "new" pieces available but mirrors should pop up on ebay every once in a while. The "get rid of" bike that I have has hideous mirrors that you can't see out of because of the crazy angle they are mounted at, but I don't care because it is going away.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:20 PM

I can't even seem to find an aftermarket solution. The only one I found that claims to have an adjustable clamp doesn't list the clamp dimensions and the pictures are from the most useless angles LOL.

I did find some OEM ones in great shape. My god they are expensive. The rubbers to mount them average $17-$20 each, too. Oh well. Gotta pay to play 8)

Old 09-09-2018, 09:18 AM

Yeah. The drawback to old is that the parts become more rare and therefore more expensive.

Maybe an option to get you riding and legal:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-1996-H...s=Make%3AHonda Model%3ACBR600F&hash=item3a9587f4ba:g:kVAAAOSwPe1T 7Ntl&vxp=mtr

Add an inexpensive post mirror for now?

Too bad someone with access to a lot of different year bikes hasn't put together a list to see if any of the mirrors are interchangeable, at least as far as being usable even if you have to monkey with the mounting. Like I said earlier, one of my bikes has a set of mirrors that are completely useless cause they point at the sky.

Quick Reply: 87' A couple of issues / quick advice needed - Difficult to push + engine noise