CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

600F project bike progress/issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 04:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 600F project bike progress/issues

Hi guys. I recently purchased an 89 cbr600. I'm very new to the bike scene. This is the first bike I've owned. However, I do occasionally track and build my car and help friends with theirs. I'll try my best to post progress and ask questions for help.

Here's a pic of the bike the day I got her. The seat and most of the plastics came with her, but are off. The only missing pieces are the side fenders. I'm planning to convert it to a street fighter anyways, with some research on this site and other bike forums.

My main concern was the condition of the frame and swing arms, and those were in really good condition. Also the status is good with no claims or rebuild.

Unfortunately, it hasn't started for over a year and the previous owner has no idea why. He told me he purchased a new cdi box and it still wouldn't work.

There's some electrical issues from the previous owner as you can see. Surprisingly all the signals and lamps on the cluster work. The brake switches and lamps work as well.

After seeing this, picture above, we cleaned up the wires with some solder and heat shrink. We took out the entire harness and checked for shorts. Replaced all the fuses to proper sized fuses. After careful inspection we found that the clutch switch diode was fried.

The bike would still not crank. The tank and gas lines are disconnected. We thought maybe it was the starter, so we took the starter off the engine and connected it directly to the battery and ground. It spun no problem.

I got a little side tracked while browsing the forum at this point and saw a really good DIY on cleaning the carb. So I did that...

I took off the stater/alternator assembly to inspect the gears. They were fine. I thought there must be a lot of sludge and so turned the crank with a breaker bar since the housing was open. I left the drain plug open just incase, and after breaking the crank loose again, I started hearing gurgling sounds and nasty oil started draining out. I was so happy to see this haha.

We then installed the starter back and jumped the clutch switch with a regular copper wire and tried to start it. It started cranking very well. Unfortunately, there were no sparks to the plugs. I bought new plugs and grounded it to the engine but there was still no spark. We used a multimeter to check voltage accross the coils and there was 11.03v accross each coil. There was also voltage from the coil to the end of the plug. Now, I'm assuming it's the CDI box because I read some where on here that 88/89 cdi boxes don't work with 90/91 cdi boxes. You can see pictured below on the left is the OEM cdi now replaced by the previous owner with the cdi on the right. See the difference? Now I'm searching for the right cdi and hopefully this will solve the no spark issue.

If you guys have any other ideas, let me know! Thanks.

Last edited by Mephology; 01-03-2010 at 04:16 AM. Reason: picture added
Old 01-03-2010, 06:14 AM

Looking good matey, nice progress!

Where do you live? I may have a spare CDI.. Will check later this afternoon.. Im in the uk..

Old 01-03-2010, 06:44 AM

Hi thanks.. I'm located in B.C. Canada.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:12 PM

Sorry didnt get a chance to check in the end mate..

I Live in England, wouldnt mind posting it over as long as it was recorded..

Will let you know.. depends how soon you need it I guess

Old 01-03-2010, 07:56 PM

I'm going to see if anyone local has one first.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:13 PM

Hello! I just ordered an O-ring chain and sprocket kit off eBay, Acerbis Cyclopes headlights, EBC rotors/pads from a local shop, Renthal rubber grips, Generic eBay new black levers. I'm still bidding on a new harness and cdi combo.

Also got a qoute for $150.00 (CAN) to powder coat the frame black. I'll prime and paint the engine myself. I have a parts friend who hooked me up with new KN air filter, roy. purple oil, ngk plugs, plastic harness tubing, oil filter. I just flushed the coolant. Now I need to find nice frame sliders, side markers, and re-upholster the leather seat. If you guys know where I can find frame sliders for our 600F or side markers, please let me know! Thanks.

I'll post pics when the goodies come in. My build is still very much under my budget, incase I run into more problems.

Last edited by Mephology; 01-05-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:52 PM

Where in BC are you?

KongBastard

Old 01-06-2010, 12:04 AM

Hey.. Surrey. 20 mins from poco lol.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:50 AM

I finally got most of the parts in..

Old 01-21-2010, 02:53 PM

You are correct about the CDI boxes. '87,'88,'89 are interchangeable with slight mod but won't work with 90'. Did you check the pulse generators? If they are bad then you get no spark as well. Side stand switch? Good luck!

Quick Reply: 600F project bike progress/issues