CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

3d printing fairing parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 09:47 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 3d printing fairing parts

Edit: somehow The end of the title reads “pa” instead of “parts”, and I cannot see how to edit the title.

On my F1, the smaller side fairing pieces (I think I have seen mention that they allow some access for maintenance) were replaced with something that were fabricated with sheet metal and held in with random wood screws that I would like to replace at some point.

For the last six months or so, I have been spending the winter watching the local classifieds and EBay to see if a parts bike would turn up. No such luck except for someone selling four bikes together.

Has anyone gone down the road of 3d printing parts, especially fairing parts? These two parts would seem to be ideal candidates as they are relatively small and plastic would probably be good enough. I know nothing about 3d printing, but I would guess you could scan existing parts, or take some measurements, model in some CAD software, print, adjust and repeat.

Anyone know of any resources on doing this for fairing parts especially ?

Last edited by NuggyBuggyCBR; 05-15-2022 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-16-2022, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 312 Likes on 256 Posts

I would love to see someone try it. There are quite of few discontinued parts that are plastic that it seems that someone could print out if they had the equipment, desire and knowhow.

Old 05-16-2022, 10:18 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hamlin6
I would love to see someone try it. There are quite of few discontinued parts that are plastic that it seems that someone could print out if they had the equipment, desire and knowhow.
it seems almost like a no brainer. I did find a guy who fabricated a whole bunch of parts out of Teflon for a custom build, but he had some sort of custom setup and admitted to being obsessed.

he didn’t scan the parts but he did mention taking lots and lots of measurements and going through iterative cycles of making a part and then adjusting the model.

If I had an example of the part I would try it, as this part is quite small and would be simpler compared to the bigger pieces. I found there are places that do 3d scanning too.

I found one part I am loooking for on Enay (one side only) but I think the seller wants $3-400 including shipping !!!

Old 05-21-2022, 05:30 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Still quite a big part for 3D printing so probably not a cheap job. And the finish on 3D printed parts is usually dreadful so lots of work to prep for painting.
Fibreglass is the best option. They were available some years ago and someone must still have the moulds. If not, it's easy enough to copy an original if you can borrow one for a few days.

Edit: Here you go - CBR600F fairing
or inspection panel
No doubt there are other suppliers.

Last edited by stanthomas; 05-21-2022 at 05:38 PM.