CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

1990 CBR600F- My First Bike!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 1990 CBR600F- My First Bike!

I picked up my wonderful toy from a buddy's fiance who had laid it down a few years prior. Every single one of the fairings are busted up or missing, so I am looking to replace them. If anyone knows of where I can get a FULL set that are ready to throw on that are crack/scratch free, I am seriously interested.

As far as the cool/nice things about the bike: Supertrapp muffler, just over 24,000 miles, runs like a champ(after cleaning the carbs because it was not running right), and a measly $700 price tag.

All in all I am very excited about getting it back on the road and riding it till it falls apart. Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Link to first run before mechanical fixes:

My 1990 CBR600F: The Beginning - YouTube

Old 03-28-2012, 11:31 PM

Check out eBay for a fairing kit. They're not the cheapest or OEM but they work pretty well.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by AAxJosh
Check out eBay for a fairing kit. They're not the cheapest or OEM but they work pretty well.
ive never seen a f1 plastic kit on ebay, just newer stuff f2+. Airtech makes reproduction panels but you have to prep and paint them and usually have to drill the mounting holes.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Boxdgm
ive never seen a f1 plastic kit on ebay, just newer stuff f2+. Airtech makes reproduction panels but you have to prep and paint them and usually have to drill the mounting holes.
Yeah you're right. I went back and looked at what came up when I typed in "90 CBR 600 fairing" and it was for some 250rr or something.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:04 PM

Congratulations on your purchase. Putting all that work into will make the bike mean more to you and make it yours much more than if you had just purchased it new.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:46 AM

Hey - I'm restoring a 89 CBR 600 over this winter and have been looking for fairings the entire winter. Unfortunately, you probably won't find a F1 fairing kit - for some reason the people who create all the kits don't sell a F1 kit (Too bad, I would have bought one).

Anyways, being on a budget, here is what I did. I purchased the lower fairings from Maier for $87 each (Honda CBR600 Fairing Side | Maier USA). They are ABS plastic and bolt right on. You will have to paint them, but its pretty easy to do. (Don't forget to buy heat shields with them) (Shipping to canada was $100)

I then went to Airtech to get the upper fairing, integrated tail section and front fender (HONDA CBR 600 F1 1987-90, CBR600, fairings, bodywork, fairing, upper, lower, mid, seat side, race, street, fender, tail, undertail, tank). These are made out of fibreglass. It takes 4 weeks for them to make it and then about a week for shipping (shipping to canada for these parts cost $100). These as well need to be prepped and painted.

My airtech parts are in transit right now - I will post more information when they arrive to show their detail and mounting.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:30 PM

Thanks for all the info.

Took the bike out for the first ride today. I quickly learned nit to try and shift while turning: result = bike on ground. I'm fine and the bike is no worse for the wear.

I also learned that 40°F is very chilly when cruising at 35mph.

More to come.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:18 AM

Well, I am slowly but surely learning why they sold the bike. There is a small crack in the valve cover and it leaks oil. Nothing too serious there, but enough to annoy me. I am gonna have to send it out to get TIG welded, or fork over some cash for a new one. I have also decided that I am gonna convert this over to a street fighter. With the cost of purchasing new fairings, prep and paint, and time that I would have in them I am looking at close to $2,000. While I would like to return the bike to original, it's just out of my budget right now. Well, enough time sitting in front of the screen. Time to go out and ride!

Old 04-02-2012, 05:59 PM

So, the gaskets for the cylinder cover are discontinued... Does anyone know where I can get the cylinder cover gasket, spark plug tube seals, and the seals for around the cylinder cover bolts?

Old 04-03-2012, 08:17 PM

Valve cover gasktet on eBay.
Honda CBR600 Hurricane 87-90 Head / Valve Cover Gasket | eBay

Looks like there was a recent hurricane parted out. Search for "cbr 600 90" on ebay and sort by date listed. Might find something there.

Quick Reply: 1990 CBR600F- My First Bike!