CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

1987 Hurricane to 2003 CBR600RR Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flexing is an important consideration. I will gusset if needed. I looked at doing the RR subframe, but pricing out all the parts it seemed very expensive, especially if you do the inner plastics, the fender and all the hardware for the seats. The other problem is the under tail exhaust on the 2003-06 RR. Each one of those decisions takes you to a new place and more $$. Trying to keep this on a budget, because the value just isn't there. If it turns out nice maybe, but still trying to sell a 25 year old bike in new clothes. I think if I wanted to trick one out completely would start with a newer bike to begin with. I do like your swing arm tho :-)

Old 01-19-2013, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand the budget and age part. I could never sell my bike and get what I have in it. I'm keeping it for life I guess. I forgot the rr has undertail exhaust. I added up what my parts cost and I have about $300 between the singarm and tail so not too bad. It took me 2 years to get all the parts though cause I kept checking ebay to find the lowest prices. I have more than that in my engine overhaul

Old 01-19-2013, 06:43 PM

Yeah it's hard to have a labor of love and not put too much into it. I started with a budget of $1000 and am at about $800 so far. I think I will likely have $1500 in it to finish with paint and powder coating. Not bad. I do the same thing as you trying to get the best deals. It slows down progress though. You also have to be careful and check the OEM part sites because some parts on Ebay are more expensive than buying new, like the side plastics I just bought. $10 each OEM and most Ebay sellers were twice that plus shipping.

I tried to fit the RR front fender today. Doesn't fit. I used it as a pattern to cut the Hurricane fender to reduce the "bulk" look. It looks pretty good. Will post some pictures when I get a chance.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:34 PM

I wish I only had $1500 in mine with the parts from the previous build plus what this one is costing me in parts I'm probably around $3500 of course that includes me buying the bike for $600. If i had known how much the engine overhaul was going to run me I would have bought a used engine but by the time I found out that stuff like the piston rings and bearings are priced for each cylinder and each bearing half I was too far invested. I'd say $650 of the $3500 is the engine and of course during the first build I'd buy something fit it and then not like it so I have a bunch of parts accumulated as well lol. Like I said I could never sell it and even come close to breaking even I'll just ride it forever

Old 01-19-2013, 08:56 PM

Big difference with a rebuild over a used engine tho. You have a "new" engine where a used one is a crap shoot. Much better position to be in for a couple hundred extra. I usually rebuild the engines on my projects just to know everything is good to go. This one runs good so not doing that this time. Wow! $3500...but when you do this it adds up quick. All the little stuff adds up fast too.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:22 PM

Yes it adds up fast and I only rebuilt it cause one of the rocker arm retainers came loose and went around with the cam chain stretching it out. It still ran once I adjusted the chain tension it only had a slight miss which I found to be from it not having both exhaust valves operating on the #2 cylinder. I'm just guessing on the $3500 but it's probably right considering just buying the bike and overhauling the engine I'm at $1250 plus all the parts for the first build and now the second build that's not even done yet. Of course thats not even factoring in 3 years of my labor. Basically I can never sell it I'll just ride it till it dies and pull everything I can off and build another lol.

Your bike looks sharp I've always liked the look of the 600rr it is probably one of the few bikes I wouldnt fighter if I owned well maybe.
Interested in seeing the trimmed fender. Are you going with a solid black when finished? or are you going to spice it up with some metallic or pearl

Old 01-19-2013, 10:12 PM

Originally I was going with black with gold accents. Then I found this picture of a Yamaha R6 and decided I want the wheels in gold too. I will powdercoat the frame satin black and the wheels gold and gold emblems. Fairings will be gloss black.

Image11 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I'll take a picture of the fender tomorrow. I think it looks pretty good. Much better than the bulky Hurricane front.

Last edited by dennisgb; 01-19-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:22 PM

That's going to look really good. I wish I could have afforded to get my frame powdercoated but I was given some black paint and a gallon of clear with my zx10 so I painted mine. I'll eventually tear it down and get it powdercoated but for now basecoat clearcoat is how i'll roll

Old 01-20-2013, 08:21 AM

Here's a picture of the front fender mod. I would have liked to cut it back more but was afraid that it would be too weak. I think it looks a lot better. Let me know what you guys think.

Here's an overall view.

Last edited by 74demon; 04-22-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:21 AM

Looks good. I don't think cutting more from the sides where it covers the fork legs will hurt it. Mine are cut off right below the front where it bolts in. I've had my bike to 130 according to my acewell and it held. It's looking good though. Makes me want to go work on mine

Quick Reply: 1987 Hurricane to 2003 CBR600RR Conversion