CBR 1100XX "Super Blackbird" 1998 - 2003 CBR 1000XX

Engine exhaust smoke 1998 Blackbird

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine exhaust smoke 1998 Blackbird

I wanted to see if anyone has had problems with the o rings for the air tubes on the P.A.I.R. Pulse Air Injection system. I removed the valve cover to check valve lash.When I buttoned it up, there is engine oil going into the exhaust. A lot of bluesmoke. WhenI performed the exact same service on another blackbird about a year ago, it too smoked badly. That time,after removing the valve cover, I discovered that one of the o rings had popped off of the #3air tube. That time,after puttingthe o ring back in place, the bike ran and is still running smoke free. I removed the cover again and this time all four o rings were still in place. The o rings did look degraded however and I have ordered new ones.The smoke is definately not from bad rings or valve guide seals or an overfilled crankcase. Anysuggestions would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

Old 09-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Default RE: Engine exhaust smoke 1998 Blackbird

How do you know it has good pistonring's & good vavle stem seal's did you do a compression test/leak down test, did you remove the cylinder head & valve spring's to examine the valve stem seal's ? I too own a Blackbird & have read & posted many topic's on this bike & never once heard of your explanation of your problem. The pair system in no way has anything to due with engine oil, simply put in inject's air into the exhaust valve to help promote combustion of raw/excessive fuel in the exhaust system-therfore reducing emission's being produced by the engine.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:57 AM
Default RE: Engine exhaust smoke 1998 Blackbird

Thanks for your reply. I believe I did a poor job of explaining the problem.My apologies. This blackbird is a 1998 with 10,170 miles. It ran perfect and never smoked at all, before I serviced it forlong time friend. It was well overdue for engine oil and had the original spark plugs. I decided to check the valves as long as I was replacing the plugs.The service included Valve lash inspection (all within range as they should be at 10K), oil change, iridium plugs (IMR9A-9H), coolant, all DOT4 Fluids. NOTE:I havechanged back to the original Platinum plugs in order to rule out the plugs as the culprit. It is a California model with all stock factory emissions components attached. This includes the PAIR system and the EVAP portion.As it turns out, I went ahead and replaced the four o rings. There is an engine oil connection to the PAIR system.Hot engine oil will leak past badair tube o rings (or missing ones) and will leak right down through the cylinder head and into the exhaust port, along with the air itself.. The air is injected into the exhaust port just ahead of the header pipes, not into the exhaust valves. As it turns out the o rings are not causing the problem. The No. 2 iridium plug oil fouled out. The other 3 plugs showed very minor traces of oil contamination. I have performed this work on my identical 1998 model last year and it did the exact same thing.I'm not sure what exactly I did last time to get it not to smoke, but it hasn't for over a year.I,m suspecting an emissions component. I am buttoning this oneup this weekend and will carefully triple check all hoses and connections etc. and see what happens. Thanks again for your reply!