CBR 1100XX "Super Blackbird" 1998 - 2003 CBR 1000XX

buying a Blackbird or...

Old 07-24-2005, 12:43 AM
Default buying a Blackbird or...

I'm going to look at a couple bikes this weekend. The one I like most (on paper) is a 1997 Blackbird with 19k miles on it for $4400. Only mod I can determine is a yoshi pipe. The second bike is a 95 Kawasaki GPZ1100 with 22.5k miles for $3500

The CBR has a messed up tach...he said it might be a couple bills to have fixed. Other than that, both bikes are in great shape.

Is this a no-brainer? Seems like the bird is the way to go. Any arguements?

Old 07-24-2005, 02:44 AM
Default RE: buying a Blackbird or...

Hi there- for the $900 less I would buy the GPZ. Both are great bike and you would I'm sure be happy with either. The difference in top speed or anything else performance related would be small.

Old 07-24-2005, 12:47 PM

thanks for the advise. I'm going to look at the cbr first. if I like it I'll put a deposit on it. We'll see. Meeting him at 4:30pm today a few hours up the road.

I really expected to hear everyone shouting not to buy the GPZ. Considering the name of the forum...

Old 07-24-2005, 02:16 PM

I have a cbr1000f, my short list of bikes to buy included the gpz, xx, zx11, and the busa. I hadn't even thought about a cbr1000f until I saw one on ebay at a price I liked. All of the bikes I listed are big, fast, and handle close to the same in the twisties. The busa and the xx will be faster by 5-20 mph depending on which bike they are compared to. However in the real world, the only place either the xx, zx11, or busa really beat the other two is in a straight line. I can easily keep up with a busa or a xx in the curves with my old cbr1000f, given equal riders on each, so honestly when choosing any of these bikes it comes down to price and which one do you think you will be happy with. The performance issues are in my opinion not worth talking about since the slowest of these bikes will do over 150 mph.

If time allows I would suggest taking both bikes for a test ride to see which one fits you the best. The xx and the busa fit me ok, but the cbr1000f gave me the most comfort for long days. With other people the xx is better.

I hope this helps.

Logan

Old 07-24-2005, 02:22 PM

Thanks...good info.
I've read a lot about the smoothness of the XX and the vibration of the GPZ. My last bike was a Kawasaki ZR750 and it vibrated just a little more than I liked. This might be the only reason I'm considering the Honda more.

Old 07-24-2005, 11:54 PM

Well, I did it. I put a deposit on the Blackbird. That thing rode sooo nice.
I guess I'll be hanigng around this site a bit more in the future.

Old 07-25-2005, 08:22 PM

Congrats, I'm sure you'll love it.

Old 03-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

hey:

Well now thats its been awhile on the Blackbird, what do you think of the bike?

Old 03-25-2006, 12:00 PM

I really enjoy it. I ride it every time I get a chance. With one of those gator lower face covers and a taller zero gravity screen, I'm able to ride it with reasonable comfort as cold as 43 degrees. Spring is supposedly on it's way so that'll be less of an issue. I am however falling in lust with the new crop of 600 bikes, the 636, R6 and the gsxr. Something more agile might be nice. I don't do all the distance riding that I thought I would so the better ergos of the bird are a bit wasted.

Old 03-28-2006, 07:44 PM

Unsquare!!!!!!!!!!!! The new year is still young!!!!!!!!!! You may be getting to those "longer tripps, soon!!!!!!!! I did 170+mi, yesterday in 45 f, I wasn't ride'n that far, when it was 25 f !!!!!!!!!!!
First time you do a 400+ on the 'bird, I'l bet your glad it wasn't a 600 !!!!!!!!!!!! I passed up a 97 "old man owned" 'bird, w/ 7k, for 5000$ Iron butt rally people, swear by'm!!!!!!!!!! Should have scarfed it up !!!!!!!! ( 94 1000f, "poormans" 'bird instead ) What ever your ride'n... HAVE FUN !!!!!!!!!!! Clean and free, only smoke'n harleys!!!!!!!!!! Ripp'n

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: buying a Blackbird or...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.