Wrecked really bad!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrecked really bad!

Hey guys. bad news for me. I just got home from the hospital last night. I wrecked my 04 1000RR pretty bad on tuesday. I suffered a pretty bad concussion, and have absolutely no recollection of what happened. I regained consciousness when the EMT's were moving me from the ambulance to the hellicopter, and nearly fainted again when i felt the pain. All in all, i am very luccky i can walk andwill make a full recovery, but for now i suffered a bad concussion, mild memory loss, 2 fractured vertabrae and a fractured neck. My helmet saved my life. I have never felt pain like this in my entire life, and pray that i wont have to ever again once i recover. When i am laying down in bed, or up to a 45 degree angle I am alright with a neck brace called a Miami J. If i want to sit up more than that, or get up and walk around, i have to wear this back brace that is custom made. It is sooo uncomfortable. It is two p;ieces, front and back. The back starts on the back of my head, for support, and goes all the way down to the top of my butt crack, and wraps half way around to the front of me. the front piece starts at my chin, pushing my chin up so that it forces my head into the support on the back of my head from the back piece, and goes all te way down to my hips. The most uncomfortable part of it is that my left hip is bruised and rashed and this brace fits TIGHT, has no play or space, so the thing KILLS my hip. It makes me just usually lay around in my bed with my neck brace on, staring straight at the cieling. I am sooo lucky i have a loving caring girlfriend who is taking care of me, waiting on me hand and foot. My family is here for me too, but my girl helps me with the more embarassing things, such as showering me, helping me with the bathroom, etc. etc. I am in soo much pain guys, and I have a previous history of opiate dependancy, so none of the painkillers the doc's gave me really work at all. I was honest with them at the hospital, so they tried to treat me accordingly, but they were all just amazed at the amount they were giving me and i was still perfectly coherent and consious, nevermind still in pain. I guess a normal person would have been floored from the amount of dilaudid i am on. Morphine didnt work, phetynal didnt work, and now the dilaudid maybe brings pain dowm from a 10 to an 8 (scale of 1-10, 10 being worst). I dont know guys, im d epressed that there wont be anymore riding for me this summer. My bike is a complete wreck, total loss. I didnt see it in person, becuase i was unconcsious at the scene, but my dad took some pics of it at the junk yard. SCARY. It is in two pieces, the forks snapped right in half and are totally separated from the rest of the bike, it looks like it snapped off the steering head bearing or something around the triple tree, but totally separated from the bike. I wish i could remember what happened. I have had the bike only 3 weeks (not first bike, had a 900rr for years prior) and I know that i am a safe rider and always kept both tires on the ground. I guess i was in a parking lot, is all i know. Its friggen frustrating to not know what happened, i was sooooo confused when i woke up in a helicopter being asked my name, birthday, age, what year it is, whoh the president is, what day it is etc. etc. I had no clue what day it was or what happened. I kept asking what happened, and they kept saying, you were involved in a motorcycle accident son, now where does it hurt. Scared the crap out of me, especially since i have no idea how i wrecked. Im just grateful, despite all the tremendous pain im in, that i didnt end up paralyzed. I guess the fracture in my neck came a hair away from severing my spinal cord, which would have ended it for me. I am so lucky. Grateful i had gear on. I

Old 06-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Default RE: Wrecked really bad!

Sounds like you were very lucky. Make sure you keep that brace on and its tight. It will help your back fuse
together properly. If you feel it's not fitting properly you might try one of a couple things. First check with your
doctor. He will probably not offer too much help, but depends on the kind of doc...ie orthopedic vs medical MD.
If you call the OT/PT dept. at the hospital and tell them you want the phone number for the representative (othotist aka
the guy who fit you with the brace) call him and see if you can meet him at the hospital. I also suggest considering
seeing a rehab. MD after you come out of the brace for proper range of motion and strenghening of your back and
abd muscles. Good luck. Remember it could of been alot worse. Your lucky and try to keep the pills to a minimum
in the long run they will only make things worse for you. Hope this helps.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:15 AM

Wow. I can't imagine how you must feel.

I am so glad to hear that you will make a full recovery. I'm sorry for your pain and I hope you can cope with it. Don't get too depressed and just keep thinking about your girl and family and be thankful and appreciative, especially with your girl. Let her know how much you appreciate her. A lot of girls would bail. One that sticks it out is worth the world!

Old 06-18-2007, 02:38 AM

Wow, definately not good at all. Glad you'll make a good recovery though. How long do you have to wear all of the braces and stuff?

Old 06-18-2007, 03:25 AM

Kyle, I feel for you man. So sorry to hear about your crash. I will pray for you and your girl for a full recovery. Remember man, Everything happens for a reason even if we don't understand that reason. Thank you for sharing your story it has made me think about if I was in your shoes.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:45 AM

Hey guys. thanks for all of the prayers and positive words. Its like 2 am or something, just in bed w/ the laptop, bored as hell. I still am in shock that this has happened, such a nightmare. I get so irritated not being able to turn my damn head. I am going to need to wear the full back brace for 4 to 12 weeks. I have follow up appointmens after 2 and 4 weeks, and on the 4 week visit i will be checked out with another MRI, catscan, and x rays to see how the healing process is going. at that point the orthopedic spine doctor will decide whats up. He might say that all i need from that point is just the Miami J brace, the much more comfortable of the two, or he might say i need to wear the full back brace for another x amount of weeks. Im praying and hoping for 4. a month isnt all that bad. 3 months will start to drive me crazy. Im a very independent person, and it is VERY difficult for me asking everyone for help with simple things that i can no longer do on my own for the time being. Again, I am soooo grateful that I can walk still already, and dont even need to wait to do that, or re learn how to walk or anything like that. i am very lucky. for the type of injuries i have, the doctor said it is very very amazing that i didnt lose feeling at any point in my body, and that i have full use of the rest of my body. I am so grateful also that my girl is here with me. by my side right now as i type. i'd be screwed without her. just keeping me company while im layed up and all the simple things i used to do myself. true love. i would do the same for her. i dont know if any of my x girls would have been by my side like this had this happened at a previous point in my life. I just need to keep reminding myself of all that im grateful for and that it couuldve been a LOT WORSE than it is even now, even though it sucks. thats why i keep typing that stuff, to remind myself, so i dont start getting angry and getting ungrateful.. a lot of guys couldve ended up paralyzed or even dead, if a helmet wasnt worn. i just keep telling msyelf, in about 3 to 4 months, give or take, things will start getting back to normal. and that isnt all that bad. glad it isnt winter, id be cooped up inside all the time and go crazy. with all that said, thanks again guys, ill keep posting, cuz i love cbrs and all the peepz that ride em, and im grateful for all of your words and high spirits. remember to wear your helmets and keep your wits about you while riding. ride soo safe. i wouldnt wish this upon anyone. keep it real.'

kyle

Old 06-18-2007, 11:24 AM

Glad your Ok, will pray foryour speedy recovery.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:31 PM

Damn man - hate to hear about the wreck, but like everyone else says, glad to hear you came out as well as you did.

I guess there were no witnesses? No one to tell you what might have happened?

And hang on to that girl - she's a keeper.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:29 PM

not to bring u down but POST SOME PICS

Old 06-18-2007, 11:24 PM

Yea my old man took like three pics of the bike at the junk yard its at, tomorrow ill make my way around hte house and find the wires i need to hook his camera up to my computer. I have put pics from the camera to the computer countless times, so thats no problem, but i've never put a picture on the forums before. If anyone could tell me the quickest easiest way to do so ill def be happy to do that tomorrow. It brings a tear to my eye seeing my bike in the condition its in now. It is without a doubt a total loss, my insurance company is going to let me know tomorrow what they are going to offer for a settlement. I still cant believe this happened. Things turn around so unbelievably fast its insane. Its driving me crazy that i cant remember what happened. There were no witnesses that saw exactly what happened. I guess there were a few people that heard the bike as i was crashing and they just saw the end result by the time they saw me. So still not even anyone else to tell me what the hell went wrong. The last thing i remember was pulling into a parking lot to turn around in. It was an empty church parking lot, and the lot loops around the back of the church and comes out the other side. I was going to go around the back of the church and come out on the other side of the lot. I remember nothing else. My memory picks up when i woke up in the hellicopter. My dad went to where i crashed and said that it was on the back corner side of the church, waay away from the road. Im at a loss trying to figure out wtf i did. I figure it must be something to do with sand/gravel in the lot. All i know is that i have had the bike for almost a month and i had not once screwed around on the bike. No stunting or wheelies (other than a couple of hard but controlled 1 to 2 shifts that lifted the wheel up). I just dont understand, because knowing my style of riding just leaves me confused as to what the hell i did. Its frustrating as hell not being able to remember. All i know is i cant wait to recover and get a new bike next year. My family will be very very against me getting another bike, but riding is my one and only true love in life. the only thing that gives me REAL joy and fun. good clean fun. This accident isnt going to take that from me. Anyways, ill get some pics up soon and talk to ya guys soon. later

kyle
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: Wrecked really bad!