Would I like a 1000rr?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would I like a 1000rr?

Well I've been riding for about 2 years on a 96 f3. But I've currently found two deals cheaper then buying a 600rr even. Both 06's in perfect shape. One is about 20 hours away from me for 4 grand and the other is an hour away for 4500. I'd jump on one of these but my 600 f3 has never left me wanting more power. Accept when my buddys think they're faster than me of course lol. The fact that I dont even know the difference is probably a sign I'm not ready for a 1000rr.. But how different is it to ride a 1000? They dont feel to much bigger to me when I sit on them.. The owner wont let me test it unless I bring the cash and there's no point in me bringing it without being prepared to buy it. So whats the downside to a 1000? I dont wanna regret a huge motor for some reason...

Old 05-21-2012, 10:59 PM

I'm in the same boat. I got my first 600 this year and will be needing to sell it at the end of the summer because the miles are coming on all to quickly. not sure if I should go for a 1000rr or a 600rr....

one of my good buddies just upgraded from an 02 600f4i (the one in my avatar) to a 2006 1000rr..
He likes to brag about how big his bike is and how much faster it is than mine, but I think that is really the only benefit.
CONS:
1.worse gas milage
2.he says he can hardly even get out of 3rd gear in the city, its just a whole lot of bike if your not taking it to the track
3. if he accelerates hard, its fairly common for him to wheelie and then get the wobbles when coming back down ( he only weights about 160)
4. There is so much POWER (did i say that?)...he has already taken the bike 160..which would be one WHOPPER of a ticket, considering he has no license and has already got an operating while suspended.

my opinion. Stay with a 600. its plenty of power to burn almost any street legal car on the road, gives you good gas milage, and will tempt you less to go insane speeds. Also you will be able to lay into the throttle more, and feel like you are actually using the potential of the bike while riding on streets/roads, while still having enough to have a great time! PLUS, you can buy a newer/nicer looking 600 for less than the same year that a 1000 would be..and all your paying for really is the engine size, which you wouldn't really be utilizing (unless like i said, on the track or speeding like a ****)

thats my opinion anyways. but then again...its a 1000! and the extra power might be fun haha

Old 05-21-2012, 11:13 PM

Yeah if I could get a 600rr for cheaper I would for sure. Its just the 1000rr is way cheaper then I can buy a 600rr right now. I cant find a 600rr for less then 5500 and I can get the 1000rr for 4500 bucks, I dont see why Id pay more for a smaller bike is my problem really ha. I am NOT out to go speeding around or wheelie or anything. I cruise when I ride. I ride quick, but not fast. I think the 0-60 time would be AMAZING on a 1000rr if you can keep the front end down! I also like not having to shift out of third in town.. I road a 250 once and to cruise, you had to be in like 5th gear in town. Which means at every stop, half way through the stop if you wanna keep the rpms down you shift to second, by the end of the intersection your in third, and then you shift up again to be at low rpm again. I just dont race around everywhere I go lol. Makes me sound like I dont need a 1000rr at all.. But it doesnt mean I dont want one!

Old 05-22-2012, 05:00 AM

If you ask me, there are pros and cons to both sizes. I myself have a 07 1k. (love her!) Compared the ride and feel of mine versus my friends 600. I think it all comes down to what you want out of her while your riding.

Both have great power, advantage to 1k of course. Both handle straights and corners great, advantage to 600 on the cornering. Riding position on 600 is more on top of the front end for great control. 1k is little more laid out. As far as fuel mileage, I don't know there is a big difference. To me that comes down to how you ride.

I ride pretty mellow most of the time so i don't really need all that power, but it is nice to know that it is there when i need it.

And just a side note: I love it when he complains that he is in 4th ready to hit 5th and I am just getting ready to hit 3rd as i pass him getting on the freeway. LMAO

Old 05-22-2012, 09:26 PM

I agree with KIDZPLAY. I have a 1krr myself and love it. Though I do very little in town riding being that I live in the back woods of PA with lots of corners.

As for speeding when you get used to it its not an issue and having that power available when you need it is awsome. Ultimately though it comes down to what you want. Price alone shouldn't be a major concern. If you buy the 1k for 4500 and end up not liking it, you just wasted money.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:20 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey, don't forget about the 900rr, though it's discontinue...it's still kick ***...LOL.

Most important: Get what YOU want. Don't settle because it's cheaper....if there is none on the market now, WAIT....most likely when you see the exact bike you want, you are going to pay an extra few hundred over budget to get it....key is buy something you love....does not matter what anyone says... For example my old 94' ....some friends say it's old, it's too box tail ditto ditto....**** i don't care cause I know that's what I want....purchase it 7 years already, after i sold my 600....to this day...love the bike!!! And when I ride with my friends that say my bike is old and boxy tail...good too, cause that's all they see when riding with me...they only see my tail...LoL

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-19-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: profanity
Old 05-22-2012, 10:26 PM

Well I was in you same shoes just over two years ago.. I found myself at the local Honda shop trading in my kaw6. My biggest concern was I wanted fuel injection, I ride all year and carbs suck in the winter. I felt the same way, I could ride the wheels off the 6 and still have a s?!t eatin grin on my face at the end of a ride even with other liter bikes in the mix. But the way financing fell the 08 cbr1000rr was the cheaper choice. It took some convincing to the wife because she's knows I'm an idiot, but I got it. The liter bike is wayyyy to much fun to be legal....but it still is. Between the easy power wheelies, deep growling tone from the exhaust and face melting acceleration I'm still super happy. I do find myself wanting a 6 again from time to time, there's something to be said about pinning the throttle to the stops and not being scared out of your mind.. But every time I get on one I just miss my liter bike even more. I even find it good a transportation seeing as that is how mine is mainly used, its nice to power past a car quickly without leaving 6th gear. It's truly personal preference but I enjoy not having to ring its neck to move quickly through traffic, just roll on!

Old 05-23-2012, 11:54 AM
April 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1000 myself and honestly I will never go back to a 600. The power (while you don't always need it) is just so nice to have. A good friend of mine bought a 600rr not to long ago and I rode it home for him, since it was his first bike and he wasn't real comfortable riding yet, and I was just disappointed with the power. Now this is obviously comparing it to what I'm used to, in NO way am I saying the 600rr is not a powerful bike. AS far as gas mileage, I get anywhere from 33-38 depending on how I ride (or which of my friends I let ride haha). I have a friend with an 09 R6 and with full exhaust and powercommander he is getting in the 30's also. 2 of my friends (1 with an R6 and 1 with a zx6) both want to upgrade to 1000's, especially after riding mine. It all comes down to personal preference though. Get what you want and not what everyone tells you to get.

By the way Saito, where in PA are you from?

Old 05-23-2012, 01:58 PM

I'm also going to upgrade to a 1000. Don't know if it's going to be a Honda but the reason y is because I'm a big guy and I'm fine with the power of the 600 but I want to stretch a bike and I'm torn between the gsxr and the Honda. But if u are just a cruiser like me with some spirited riding u have to do what you want to do. If a 250 puts a smile on your face all day long then so be it. I mainly love the body lines of the bigger bikes. I'm also in pa near philly

Old 05-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have both a 600 and a liter. While Yolie was in the shop getting a skeletal transplant, I rode my F4i. The differences became readily apparent (I hadn't rode Ororo since last fall and getting Yolie).

Despite barely 20 lbs weight difference, my F4i felt almost toy-like. It was very disturbing because it gave a sense of over-confidence.

Yolie turns in almost as quick as my F4i... which is very dangerous, IMO. There's a ton of power lurking under Yolie's throttle. Without EXCELLENT throttle control (or traction control like Yolanda has), she'd easily throw the rear out while cornering.

Both bike's are overpowered for city riding. But with Yolie it's ridiculously so. I can at least get Ororo to 3rd gear without shatterintg speed limits and without fear of bogging out. Yolie... I've literally ridden halfway cross the city in 1st gear.

Gas mileage is actually better on Yolie than Ororo. Prolly because I can ride around 5k rpm in the city

Highways when i can open them up... Ororo's no slouch, fully capable of destroying most stock cars under $100k. Yolanda... Yolie destroys Ororo and pretty much everything else on the road

So where's the advice? Here:
Look at where you ride and what you want. I WANTED a BMW s1000rr. So i can live with the imagined abuse I give her by riding Yolie in the city. But if city riding is all I ever did, I'd have stayed with Ororo. Yolie with only city riding would be too tempting and I'd not have a license

Quick Reply: Would I like a 1000rr?