Wanting to buy 1st CBR, need tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to buy 1st CBR, need tips

Well I have been browsing around readingall i can, but I haven't seen this question posted anywhere in the same manner. SO, If anyone has a moment, I would love a Yay or Nay on buying a 1000rr.

I am looking to get an 07 or 08, but I like the 07's due to the exhaust, so probably an 07. I don't know alot about their issues or etc. So far I have read that the 05's have a Stator issue and bad electrical. Any input as to what I am going to have to watch for, or maybe if i should buy a 3-4 year warranty would be awesome.

Thanks in advance,

Stu the noob.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Default RE: Wanting to buy 1st CBR, need tips

The 06-07 is a great bike. I have had mine for a year and put close to 12,000 miles on it. It is basically a comutter with some fun weekends in mind. I haven't had the time or money to put it on a racetrack, but I enjoy the bike none-the-less. I upgraded from a 900RR and I am very happy with the change!

Off hand, the only complaints that I have heard about this bike was smelling like exhaust and lowers melting/warping from too much heat. I haven't had a problem with either of these. I guess an aftermarket exhaust and some heat tape would take care of both of these concers.

I really do think that this is a great bike and I highly reccommend it!

Old 11-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 just dont put no cut frame sliders on. PLEASE![sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 11-28-2007, 06:41 PM

I sat on both the crb 1000rr and the gix 1k today. Can't really figure out which one I like more.

I am loving the coputer controlled steering dampener on the cbr. It looks sharp in person, kinda like a sleeper. The all black version is sweet, and the undertail exhaust has me sold.

But the gix seems to be a little longer for legroom, and I am a tall fat guy. I kinda feel like I look stupid on both of em, but I can't dish out the funds on a new Busa.

I guess I am going to have to do a LOT of reading to narrow it down. Still got a few months to decide I guess.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:17 PM

The Gixxer is pretty nice. The suspension is a lot softer than the CBR. You will need to replace the seat if you buy the gixxer though. After 1 hour on that bike, my back-side was killing me!

Ulitimately, go with the one you like most. For me, it was an easy choice.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:35 PM

of course we're all gonna tell u to get a fireblade. i have an 05 with about 12,000 miles on it and havent had 1 problem with it. talkin bout the all black..... cant go wrong. over a gixxer any day. have u checked out the RC 51? i think those are nicer on guys that are bigger.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Throttlejockey

Well I have been browsing around readingall i can, but I haven't seen this question posted anywhere in the same manner. SO, If anyone has a moment, I would love a Yay or Nay on buying a 1000rr.

I am looking to get an 07 or 08, but I like the 07's due to the exhaust, so probably an 07. I don't know alot about their issues or etc. So far I have read that the 05's have a Stator issue and bad electrical. Any input as to what I am going to have to watch for, or maybe if i should buy a 3-4 year warranty would be awesome.

Thanks in advance,

Stu the noob.
zero problems in 5500 miles on my 06-i got it in march 06-otd with 5yr warranty for $10,057-one of the best bikes i ever owned-phil

Old 11-30-2007, 05:13 PM

Pay the little extra and go all the way and get a Repsol Replica.
Sex on two wheels

Old 11-30-2007, 08:51 PM

I have a friend with the Repsol bike, He's also got an 05 gix 1k. They are both rebuilt, sadly, but in great shape. I have pondered the thought of buying both of em, ha ha.

I think the Repsol bike is sharp, but I am still up in the air. I also looked at the RC-51. They used to have one at my local shop and I thought it was sharp, but something about the front end kinda turns me off. The heads are super large, and the intake in the center, just not really for me, and I assume it's a V-twin instead of an inline 4, I might be wrong.

I kinda wish they still made them. They might have changed the design a little more to my liking by now, and no doubt that is probably what I would end up buying.

Thanks for the tips guys. I have a few months to think I guess. I will do lots of reading between now and then, but one thing's for sure, daddy's riding something this spring!

Old 12-05-2007, 09:15 PM

Buy the ZX 10!!!

Quick Reply: Wanting to buy 1st CBR, need tips