Type of Oil...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 09:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type of Oil...

I am the proud owner of a new 2007 CBR 1000RR. I have 223 miles on my bike so far. When I take the bike in for the 600 mile service, would it be a good idea to switch to a full synthetic oil. I was thinking Mobil 1 Racing (MX4T) 10W-40. Is this a good brand and if not what would be for performance?

Old 12-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Default RE: Type of Oil...

Save yourself the money and change it yourself. They're supposed to check torque and other things on the first service, but they never do. If you do it yourself, remember to get a new cruch washer for the drain plug. Buy a bunch at a time so you don't forget to pick up one later down the road.
Here's what I did: I changed the oil/filter at 250 miles to make sure assembly junk and metal shavings from the factory flushed out well before hand. Some even do this at 100 miles. I used the standard Honda 10w-40GN4 (without moly). Then again at 600 miles also with GN4. When I got to 1000 miles, then I switched it over to the semi-synthetic HP4 10w-40 and continue to use it.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:15 AM

oil is such a dirty subject that has caused me online wars than any other subject in history.
this is a very touchy subject so i will just relay my experience and research.

honda oil is crap. there is an oil analysis test posted on 600rr.net that shows standard honda gn4 after 1500 miles on a well running bike and it is broken down so badly that it will not continue to protect.

motorcycle vs car oil
again a touchy subject. www.hooliganbiketech.net compares the molecular composition of mobil 1 gold cap 15w50 to repsol full synthetic. it is almost identical

moly. people say stay away from synth because it has more moly in it than dyno oil.
repsol 4t racing has 0 parts per million moly again proven by the above mentioned oil analysis.
honda gn4 has like 20 something ppm.

people also say stay away from synth during break in. i dont use it during break in because i change the oil way too often in the first 1000 miles or so to justify the expense.

both my 1000rr and 600rr got a dyno break in off the showroom floor. up and down the rpm range and then engine brake back to idle. after about 50 miles of this the rings are seated and the smoking stops.

oil change and then 300 miles of normal riding, oil change again at 600 when i do my own maintenance (and dont let them tell you that it voids your warranty, they cannot legally as long as you prove via receipts for oil etc that you did it)

then finally full synth at 1000 miles where i change it again at 4K and then i follow the manual recommended service interval of every 8K with a simple oil change every 4.

again just my opinion based on experience and reading and talking and most importantly my own oil analysis tests.

www.blackstonelabs.com

Old 12-24-2007, 11:59 AM

Arguments can go on and on as mentioned on this topic. Personally I've been using a type of Motul and I will never use anything else. I've used different motorcycle oils from the Honda crap to Mobil 1, Amsoil, etc. And personally I've came to love what I'm using and have been. I can figure out the exact model but it's pricy. If you buy it by the quart it's about $15 per quart. I buy it by the case though b/c I also use it in my quads so I use alot. Comes out to about $8 a quart that way if you buy cases of 12.

The stuff is amazing. Makes shifting so smooth w/out hesitation, clank, or anything else. Keeps wear down and just works great. I've ran the oil in quads and raced them for up to two seasons on one engine running that oil and they still weren't worn bad inside. I'd used non-synthetic before I switched and was rebuilding top ends every six months. A+ rating and will get the info if anyone wants. I couldn't care less the ratings, I'll choose real world experience. I put nearly 65000 miles on one bike and the guy I sold it to has put another 10000 or so on it since using that oil. All on original engine components. Rare I know, but unless a fluke, that's pretty damn good.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:04 PM

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely be changing the oil before 300 miles and again at 600 miles and again at 1000 miles. I have also not heard anything positive about the Honda Oil. I willuse Mobil 1 Oil and go full-synthetic after 1000 miles. Sunoco 93 Octane Fuel only. Merry Christmas Everyone!!!

Old 12-24-2007, 11:32 PM

I used Mobile 1 Syn after a 3000 mi and three oil changes. It worked well. I use Repsol Syn now and the bike feels smoother to me...

Old 12-25-2007, 01:46 PM

ORIGINAL: fallen771

Arguments can go on and on as mentioned on this topic. Personally I've been using a type of Motul and I will never use anything else. I've used different motorcycle oils from the Honda crap to Mobil 1, Amsoil, etc. And personally I've came to love what I'm using and have been. I can figure out the exact model but it's pricy. If you buy it by the quart it's about $15 per quart. I buy it by the case though b/c I also use it in my quads so I use alot. Comes out to about $8 a quart that way if you buy cases of 12.

The stuff is amazing. Makes shifting so smooth w/out hesitation, clank, or anything else. Keeps wear down and just works great. I've ran the oil in quads and raced them for up to two seasons on one engine running that oil and they still weren't worn bad inside. I'd used non-synthetic before I switched and was rebuilding top ends every six months. A+ rating and will get the info if anyone wants. I couldn't care less the ratings, I'll choose real world experience. I put nearly 65000 miles on one bike and the guy I sold it to has put another 10000 or so on it since using that oil. All on original engine components. Rare I know, but unless a fluke, that's pretty damn good
must be the full synthetic oil- i got a case of the 5100 semi synthetic oil free from a track day i attended- took that junk out after only 500 miles- it was notchy as hell with it in there

Old 12-25-2007, 04:13 PM

the 1000rr has a pretty notchy gearbox to begin with.

i have tried honda gn4
repsol semi
repsol full
and mobil 1 gold cap
they all shift the same to me

Old 12-25-2007, 08:39 PM

Honda HP oil...then after about 7k miles maybe to a semi-synthetic...then if you race or track day a lot, a full synthetic and a non
paper filter.

I use Repsol for any semi or full synthetic oils.

Yeah, it's about $40 a jug, but in the long run and hard runs it's worth it.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:25 PM

I stick with the Moble 1 syn I have used it for years in both of my bikes and the I had 38K on the CBR when it was stolen and I have 75K on the goldwing and I have never had a day of prob with either of them.

Quick Reply: Type of Oil...