Tow Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 01:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Help

I live on Long Island and was towing my bike back from Virginia this weekend when my biggest fear came true. I rode Skyline Drive (in VA) for over 150 mile without incident and was pretty pleased with the ride in spite of the 32 deer I encountered on the trip. Here’s the but part of the story. While traveling on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway (45 MPH speed limit and very rough road conditions) the bike bounced around so much it unhooked one of the four tie down points and subsequently fell over on the trailer (open 3 rail trailer type). Fortunately there was no damage to the bike, not even a scratch or nick. However, my biggest fear did come true. The bike fell during the tow. I always spend more time looking in the rearview mirror watching the bike then I do looking through the windshield. Does anyone have a well tested method for towing their sportbikes? Equipment used and pictures of the secured bike would be great. I am planning some track days later this summer and a tentative trip to Deals Gap in August. I would like to know that my biggest fear will not happen again.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:32 AM
Default RE: Tow Help

I don't have a trailer, but if I did, I'd definately mount a front wheel chock on the trailer. The kind that the front wheel rolls into and can practically stand up on it's own.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:16 AM
Sept. 2011 Ride of the Month

I'd make sure the you have the bike snugged down good. I used a canyon dancer. It's a tiedown that goes over the both grips of the bike. I also throw a normal tiedown from both passenger pegs. The big thing is to get the suspension compressed, that way thebike doesn't bounce around very much.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:14 AM

look bro i ve trailed my bike now for like 7 times and i have here more rough roads that what u have im sure of that .. i do the tie down normally like any one .. 2 from the grips and 2 from the passengers begs .. the last tie is the most important one . i bought one of those belt from home depot ..(i dont know what they call it ) i hook it to one side of the trialer . i throw it across the bike to the other side .. make sure its going over the seat exactly in the middle and it goes flat with the seat so it doesnt rien the seat .. then i hooh it to the other side of the trailer then there is a handlerwith the belt .. the more u twist the handler the more it pulles down the bike and push the suspention...now the bike is one part with the trailer .no way it will move ......its kinda hard for me to describe it but i will take pics fro it and post it ..

Old 06-12-2007, 12:02 PM

I have been towing my bike since I bought it and to me the best investment I made was to buy the ratchet straps (got mine at wal-mart). Connect them to the canyon straps and then tighten down. They will get your forks nice and compressed and it takes only a few seconds to do. Just towed to Myrtle Beach from Chicago and back and only used the front straps and 1 additional strap coming from behing the bike through the rear wheel to both sides of the trailor. Towed 2 bikes side by side 1 facing forward the other aft and had no problems with either the entire 2k miles.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:40 PM

Blackcbr & Cert. Ryder are both correct in tie-down process.
If you have to do it by yourself than the "ratchet" straps are the best. But if you have someone with you
than have then "Compress" the shocks so that they can move up or to the side. Both front and rear of the bike!

Also, which is key for long trips......is....when you stop for anything always check the straps for any looseness or cuts in the fabric.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:38 PM

+1!!! I just put my bike in the back of my truck and drove to CA and back to NE and I had no problems. Just tied it down it real tight and checked the straps at every gas stop. I also tied to loose ends around the rachet to help keeping it tight, but Im not sure if it made any real differance.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Mad

I trailored a bike several times. I would recommend canyon dancers, rachet straps (4). The last tow trip we put the bike on a rear stand (w/spools) and bolted that down. No problems but check your straps when you stop. When I haul my bike in the back of my truck I just use the canyon dancer and 2 rachet straps. My tail gate closes with about 2 inches left.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:19 AM

A mistake I've seen many people make is to use those cheap slip tie downs. As stated above, the only type of tie down you should use are the ratcheting type. Buy four sets of these and you can compress the suspension enough to keep it from bouncing.

Of course. . you also have to make sure you tie it to the trailer in spots where they will not slip. I drilled four holes in the sides of mine and installed eye bolts to hook the straps to. I had to since the trailer I use was designed for ATVs and not motorcycles. I do have chocks, but I've yet to put them on becuase I just don't need to.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:42 PM

+1000 on 4 ratchet straps....canyon dancer.........front wheel-Chock is optional as long as you can push the front tire up against somthing solid like the wall of the trailor of front of a truck bed....

when ratcheting them down.....you only need to compress the suspension a little over an inch.....dont squash them down to bottoming out or you will be replacing front fork seals when you get to where you are going if its a looooong trip...

also the tiedown points to the trailor/truckbed should be at an angle fro the attachment point of the bike....not directly to the side....