CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/)
-   -   +too much power? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/too-much-power-21479/)

brancart1 08-23-2006 09:52 PM

+too much power?

I have been riding for a couple of years on my 02 F4i, and have ridden other people's liter bikes before. But after talking to some people they made it seem as if the 1000 were pointless for the street. Meaning that they dont handle as good in the corners as the 600's, and that their only true advantage is 100+mph acceleration. Now i consider myself to have pretty good throttle control, and i dont ride motorcycles for stunts. Do ya'll think the 1000 is too big of a bike for a rider like me? Also im about 6'3 and 190 lbs. It just seems as if i fit on the 1000 better than the 600's. It could be because the 1000 just looks bigger when im sitting on it, but my knees hug the tank better i think. any advice would be great. also how many people here started on a 1000 or how long did it take for ya'll to become comfortable with one? thanks

OldFatGuy 08-23-2006 10:03 PM

RE: +too much power?

Seems like this question pops up quite often. It really just boils down to what you want. I had an F4i for only a few months before moving up to the 1000RR. I love it. It has much more low end torque and seems much easier to ride. It's not that I disliked the F4i, just that I love the 1000RR even more.

You decide what you want and which bike feels right to you. Then just go for it!

Good luck!

YellowJacket1000RR 08-23-2006 10:09 PM

It could also be more comfortable because the 1000RR seat is a bit lower and the bars a bit higher than the 600RR.

If I was only going to ride mine on the street. I'd have gotten a smaller machine. (that or be racing the cops.)

The 1000 engine really needs to be run a bit between 600 and 4000 miles at high rpms (tentatively at first, then more often and longer times) to get the engine broken in properly for it's real forte -- above 150mph). Since my intention is to put it on the racetrack, I purchased a 1000, knowing that I'll get some good breakin runs without getting arrested. As an old experienced racer friend of mine said about the 1000, "After being gentle the first 600 miles, if you break it in the rest of the way like a wuss, it'll run like a wuss from then on." (Also, if you race, don't forget to change the oil more frequently than the manual says to).

Smaller engine displacements can be broken in properly for racing without going to a track, just by taking it to a freeway and running it up in low gear.

Edit: As to the question about how long it would take to get comfortable on the 1000 -- that would depend on a lot of factors.

Boosted521 08-23-2006 10:39 PM

the 1000 is much better for daily driving. my 600rr felt "boggy" in the low rpm's and wouldn't really move unless i went to 6k or higher. you can keep the rpm's low on the 1000 and get the bike moving just fine. the 1000 is also better for riding two up. as for turning, don't believe everything you hear/read. if 600's turned so much better i don't think motogp would use liter bikes/800's.

cbrrookie 08-23-2006 11:02 PM

In my opinion yes a 600 is easier to control and turn, but there is also because the tires are smaller,and throtle response si less. your bike probably as a 180 rear tire so the bike leans easier and is not as springgy.
On a 1000 you have a 190 which makes the bike spring up every time you try to lean it.
However If you wanna put a 180, you can and you'll get a similar ride just with a pinch of "A LOT MORE POWER":D

You quickly become confortable with the riding. I moved up from a R6 not because I outgrew it
but simply because when I tried the cbr 1k I simply just loved the ride and the handling.

Even dough I only weigh 150 I can still handle the bike pretty well within my limits, But the thing I enjoy the most is having that challenge of you trying to kick the bikes *ss.

Just think of the bike like, a woman with a credit card "Its there evrytime she damn needs it"

GEARHEAD69 08-24-2006 12:02 PM

The 1krr is as easy to ride as any other bike !!! Honda has the touch to make anyone(well almost anyone) able!! Just take your time going through the corners and over bumps cause the throttle is VERY sensitive!!! Just have to respect the beast!!! RIDE RED!!!

Tahoe SC 08-24-2006 01:07 PM

yea 600 for the streets isn't so hot cause of the power being in the higher RPM...so many times i've been frustrated when i was commuting on the bike that the lowend was so sloppy.

just keep a cool head and you'll be ok mang!

as far as the twitch throttle, just get used to it...but even though...if you're relatively new...it can bite you...and harder than a 600...

Evan_CBR 08-24-2006 05:54 PM

Given your riding experience, you should be able to qualify for a test ride..best way to tell if it is for you or not.

Tahoe SC 08-24-2006 06:08 PM

What? they give test rides in philly?
here it's buy it and if it sucks...too bad! hahahah...

Evan_CBR 08-24-2006 06:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

What? they give test rides in philly?
here it's buy it and if it sucks...too bad! hahahah...

Not in Philly that I know of. Certain places do in the surrounding suburbs and in New Jersey. The dealer I got mine from offers test rides to riders with experience, so I did not qualify... but I understand their caution. When the guy wheeled the bike off of the delivery truck, I thought, man if I can't handle this, I am screwed. But 1 minute on it and I was all good.

brancart1 08-24-2006 11:04 PM

yea the test rides are alittle bit harder to get out by me, u basically have to be in the process of owning the motorcycle before u can take it out. Yea i really want to upgrade to the 1K RR just because i really love how it feels, i was hesitant at first only because alot of my buddies that own 600's told me it was gonna be too much bike and everything but now hearing peoples opinions that actually own the 1K then i believe i would be more comfortable on it.

Nevaeh Speed 08-25-2006 01:28 AM

I'm 5'5" and 136lbs.... I've rode 600's for a while, but it wasn't a rush; or half the fun... I love the 1krr, it handles a little worse, but whats the fun in it; if it can't get away from you....:D And who ever said you can't go over a 100 in a turn.... I do it everyday...

YellowJacket1000RR 08-25-2006 02:15 PM

Nevaeh,

Love that byline. Byline of the month that is.

hiside 08-25-2006 11:43 PM

Get the 1000, you'd really have to do something stupid for it to get away from you and the extra torque makes it easier to ride on the street.

hobbs51 08-27-2006 02:15 AM

i would like a reply from cbrrookie,
i had a 2003 600rr and i rode it just until this year when the 2006 1000rr came out. i dont understand what you mean when you say the 1000rr wants to stand back in a corner. they changed the rake on this bike and inverted the forks and changed the weight to correct the problem of wash out but not wanting to stand back up in a corner. i no on my bike that if you enter a corner correctly and counter steer that the thing is rock solid no wanting to stand back up. to be closer on the quote the 1000rr will stay in a corner better then my 600rr would not because it is a 1000rr but because of the changes they made it is a better bike then the 2003 600rr was.now for the gentlemen needing to no if it would be to much bike for him ( dang ) it is to much bike for all of us if we all told the truth. anything that will do 0-60 under 4 seconds is to much but man are they fun. go ahead and get the 1k if you like the 600 you will love the 1000rr.

brancart1 08-28-2006 12:29 AM

i appreciate everyones replies, i realize that alot of people say that you should slowly move up from lower bikes, meaning you should start on 500, then go to a 600, then to a 750, and then if you really want to go to a 1K, well i only think thats true if you really understand how the rider is and how much they respect the motorcycle. I personally think anyone should be able to get what they can afford, also if u cant be responsible with the amount of bike u have then u should get a smaller bike.

YellowJacket1000RR 08-28-2006 01:31 PM

ORIGINAL: brancart1

if u cant be responsible with the amount of bike u have then u should get a smaller bike.
Fair enough.

AZ1000rr 08-28-2006 03:01 PM

I'm am glad to see that this time around this conversation hasn't gotten ugly, although I really think that this whole topic should be taboo. Respecting your motorcycle should go without saying, there isn't any bike that i know of that doesn't garner a certian amount of respect, simply put, our sport is dangerous. When choosing a new scoot, it almost always boils down to personal preference, and what you can afford. Most of us, at least those of us that are not pro riders and are honest, own bikes that are more capable than we are. Everyone has their opinions, some are based on fact others on speculation. Facts are simple, if its a CBR its more than likely fast, and they all handle well. 600 or 1krr....honestly, buy the bike you feel most comfortable on, the 600 is a great bike, and the 1krr isn't the monster that people make it out to be. Both require practice to ride well. And just remember you can be a squid on any bike, the faster the bike though, the faster you crash.....good luck and let us know what you get.

brancart1 08-28-2006 03:47 PM

Az1000rr +1. I am definately for sure getting the all black 06 1KRR. Yea it might be alot more power than im used to, and yea its gonna take me time to get used to that power. But the one thing that i really dont like to hear is that you basically have to be a professional rider to get the liter bike. It shouldnt be said like that, if you have any kind of throttle control, and self control then you can ride anything. Yea you may not be able to ride it to its fullest abilities at first, but thats why you upgrade in the first place, so that way when u do get the bigger and faster bike, your whole state of mind goes back to when u jumped on your first 600. you basically have to learn how to ride a completely different bike. Skill comes with time.

Tahoe SC 08-28-2006 05:01 PM

STOP POSTING IN THIS THREAD AND GO TO THE SHOP AND GET THAT BIKE ALREADY AND TELL ME HOW IT FEELS MANG>>>>TAHOE COMMANDS IT!

AZ1000rr 08-28-2006 05:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

STOP POSTING IN THIS THREAD AND GO TO THE SHOP AND GET THAT BIKE ALREADY AND TELL ME HOW IT FEELS MANG>>>>TAHOE COMMANDS IT!
+1 tahoe.....I hope bran is one of the serious ones, i really think alot of the time, guys who aren't really getting a bike ask this question. I hope this one isn't the case. Our sport is too much fun to simply sit online and talk about it....speaking of which, its lunch time, so I am going to take a spin

az cbr 1 08-28-2006 06:41 PM

Love reading all these comparisions between the two bikes. You liter guys give great feedback which is very helpful IMO. Curious, are there any of you that have both but more importantly ride both? Or is it one of those things where once you ride the 1000 you never go back to the 600?

brancart1 08-28-2006 07:02 PM

im still waiting for my bike to get sold, lol sorry if i keep buggin the $hit out of ya'll,

AZ1000rr 08-28-2006 09:08 PM

ORIGINAL: az cbr 1

Love reading all these comparisions between the two bikes. You liter guys give great feedback which is very helpful IMO. Curious, are there any of you that have both but more importantly ride both? Or is it one of those things where once you ride the 1000 you never go back to the 600?
Can't speak for anyone but me, but I own a 1krr and have ridden the 600rr extensively, both street and track.....can't go back???? I wouldn't say that, I am considering a 600rr for a track bike this fall. 1krr is just to much for the small tracks around here. ALL CBRs are great bikes, the 1st cbr i ever rode was an 86 cbr900...no rr, no fairing, and in its day, it too was fast. Honda makes a top quality bike, up and down their product line, always have and hopefully always will. They don't get the press that kawi & suzuki do, but IMO they are the best quality, most relialbe and easiest to ride sportbikes you can buy....I just don't see how you could go wrong.

AZ1000rr 08-28-2006 09:12 PM

ORIGINAL: brancart1

im still waiting for my bike to get sold, lol sorry if i keep buggin the $hit out of ya'll,
and no worries bran....you sound serious about buying the bike.....its just that this topic comes up so often and in recent months, there have been some people that have really tried to bash anyone considering the 1krr....and we never seem to hear back from the person that started the thread, so for all we know, they were asking a hot topic just to stir stuff up, with no intention of actually buying a bike.

brancart1 08-28-2006 09:13 PM

yea thats very true, does it kinda make you mad that honda doesnt get nearly as much press time as the other companies? I mean i completely agree with you on the fact that honda makes the best quality, but i think it kinda sucks that other companies are getting so much glory. I think yamaha has made some really awesome looking bikes but sometimes its not always about looks.

AZ1000rr 08-28-2006 09:14 PM

nah, makes all those gxsr and ninja riders wanna race you cuz there are so sure they can win, it says so in the magazine they read

AZ1000rr 08-28-2006 09:16 PM

And I agree with Yamaha, we i was young and full of ..... i used to race for the local yamaha shop, in the 80's that fzr750 was serious machine....still is i guess but IMO i just don't like the looks anymore, and my buds R1 is a nightmare to ride around town.....

YellowJacket1000RR 08-29-2006 02:48 AM

Just came back from a 200 mile ride with 18 other riders: Everything from Busa's, to R1's to CBR F4i's, 600RR, and 1000RR, GXR600's 750's, 1000, R6's, ZX6R and ZX14's. The variance in the riders was FAR GREATER than the variance in the bikes. A girl in an F4i was ripping me up on the corners while at the same time and in the same corners I was ripping up a guy with an R1. A Busa was on my arse for part of the ride, while on another part a ZX14 could not follow me through the corners, he was diving at every turn.

I did get one injury though. Struck in the cheekbone by some bug that made it precisely through the 3/8 inch gap in my face shield at about 80mph. Left a bruise. I though I had been shot in the face at the time and nearly stopped to check the injury but shook off the stun. It still hurts today. I have no idea what kind of bug it was. Later I was hit on my collar bone by probably the same kind of bug. Felt like a 22 had hit me right through my mesh armor.

brancart1 08-29-2006 04:28 AM

lol man that sucks, i would have to say htting a bumblebee is prolly the worst ive gotten, except for my faceshield was up and he landed right inside my helmet after smacking my cheek at 40 mph. Only funny thing is that when he hit, i guess he was stunned because about 15 minutes later i opened my faceshiled and then he flew out. i was blow away.

azmotopete 08-30-2006 01:42 AM

get the 1k you won't be sorry.No one needs this much power ,but who cares it's fun. as for bottom end my SV 650 was way better .my cbr is flat untill 4grand which seems to be just at the apex of a slow corrner with sand in it .I hope my custom map will fix this. Man Just have fun and watch for the Law It truley is hard to ride these things at the LEAGLE speed ,if you know what I meen.

Nevaeh Speed 08-30-2006 02:11 AM

ORIGINAL: YellowJacket1000RR

Nevaeh,

Love that byline. Byline of the month that is.

Thanks

YellowJacket1000RR 08-30-2006 11:54 AM

Ok Tahoe, WHAT THE HELL IS "MANG"?

Is it the title to the song that goes: "Tahoe, Tahoe, it's off to Tahoe we go..." :D

Just messing with you dude. :D