Thinking of buying CBR1000 ... help, please !

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying CBR1000 ... help, please !

This is my first post on this MB .... and, thanx for great board membersand information...[/align][/align]For some reason .... I guess it's the posts here and elsewhere, the magazines and other places .... I'm thinking seriously of getting a 2008 CBR1000.[/align][/align]I'm asking for comments, concerns and opinions here. I'm sure I'll get some.[/align][/align]I've been riding for 40+ years, but that was mostly on Harleys of various models, cruisers and now, I ride a VTX 1300R, a GL1800 Wing with Traxxion suspension, and my newest ride, an '06 ST1300.[/align][/align]I had a brief year on an '06 FJR that we modded up to make it more comfy .... but, it was not comfy and I sold it.[/align][/align]The Superbike CBR seems to call me .... I stopped at the Honda shop where my VTX is getting some work done and sat on the '07 and the '08. Sitting on a bike does little to make it feel ... well, 'good'. The '08 saddle was marginally more comfy to my **** than the '07, but that was like 30 seconds worth of sitting. Plus, there's this "sport bike" forward posture that I can't imagine being comfortable for more than an hour.[/align][/align]Here's the deal. The CBR will not be my only ride. I will add it to what I now have .... these are very nice bikes for me to ride and I like them for what they are. I don't plan to 'tour' on the CBR ..... just some short 2-3 hour rides on the back roads. Don't plan to mod it ... maybe a different windscreen ? And, the dealer says he'll make me a great deal on either the '07 or the '08.[/align][/align]I guess the reduced price should approach $10K for the '08 and below $10K for the '07 .... tho'ts?? Red/black/silver '07. They are all new, but sitting in the showroom. Don't know if they have been 'tested', but I'd like to take one down the road for 5 miles.[/align][/align]Sooooo ..... here's my questions:[/align].... do you think a 60+ year old X-cruiser dude can ride a CBR1000 and enjoy it for a few hours without needing carpal tunnel surgery in a year?[/align]... what would you consider a good price in New England for a new '07 or '08 CBR1000?[/align] ... I ride just south of aggressive (+10/15 over posted back roads) and don't plan to ride much higher on the pole than this .. would I be wasting my time with this bike?[/align] ... I ride about 15,000 miles a year ... mostly on the Wing/ST ... 3K on the VTX and plan on riding the CBR 3K a year, too .... again, wasting my time?[/align] ... I'm like 6'2" and 215 lbs, and I'd say pretty fit for an old fart. [/align][/align]I appreciate your views and opinions. They are all good. Thanx in advance.[/align][/align]Bagger in CT[/align]

Old 05-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thinking of buying CBR1000 ... help, please !

First of all, welcome.

I know a 60+ y.o. that rides one and he's fine with it and physically fit but judging by the bikes you listed I would have to venture guessing you would not be too comfortable. I may be wrong but I'm only basing this on your comment that you modded an FJR for comfort and it still wasn't comfortable enough. I've ridden FJR's and consider the stock version like a caddy compared to most sportsbike ride style. The cbr1000 is not as aggressive ride position as some sportsbikes but it's still a sportsbike and there's still some discomfort involved (at least for me) so it's all a matter of how much you're willing to put up with for the extra fun. Not trying to talk you out of it, I'd just hate to see you buy it and after a few times out have it sit there with no use ... however, maybe for 1-2 hours of fun you may enjoy it .. have you ridden any sportsbikes? My suggestion would be to see if you can ride someone elses or see if anyone rents them in your area. The places that rent sportsbikes are far and few in between but you may get luck. Good Luck.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:07 PM

KB ...[/align][/align]Thanx for the reply. Yes, the FJR even with the MCL riser plate, lowering pegs, custom saddle/backrest, Grip Puppies, new windscreen, throttle mid spring release, yada, yada ..... was about as uncomfortable a ride I have ever tossed a leg over. 3 hours and I needed a chiropractor![/align][/align]The tremendous tossing of my 215 lbs (prolly more like 230 with gear) onto my hands when I down shifted, or braked was not fun. Hands went numb in 30 minutes. The motor was full of torque, but erratic to me .... like driving an M3 .... handling was fine, but not to my taste. My ST1300 is more like a "mini Wing" and altho it is hefty, it still carves well for me and is much more comfortable.[/align][/align]I'm not concerned that I will hate the bike and let it sit in my garage for years. If I do not care for it ... or I don't ride it because I don't like the way it feels .... well, I'd just sell it off. I've done that before. Of course I lose a few bucks, eh. I don't like the way that feels, but it is what it is.[/align][/align]No .... never been on a Sport Bike. And, I don't know anyone that has one. Most of the folks I see riding SBs are younger guys, full face helmets, ultra dark face shields, shorts, sneakers, 150 lbs, nice gal riding behind with a small back pack haulin' *** blowin' past me on my Wing on back roads at 25 over. Scare the hell outa me blasting by. But, that's just a generalization I'm sure. I have a 'sorta' acquaintance that used to race/ride before he had his hip replaced .... my age, but soldoff all his bikes. Ninjas, I believe. He may have an opinion. But, we don't really speak.[/align][/align]Still .... I have the up most confidence in the message board. You folks RIDE these machines. I'm sure there is some old dude that rode HDs / cruisers and now rides a previous iteration CBR1000 or an '08 out there that would give me his opinion. And, I'm open to all suggestions and opinions from you folks.[/align][/align]Thanx again.[/align]

Old 05-27-2008, 08:13 PM

+1 here.

I think the sportbike would be a little uncomfortable for you. I would suggest if you really want to get one, that you buy a used one. say an 04 1000rr or even an 02-03 954. Anyone of these bikes will blow your mind with power and handling. then, if your not satisified, your not out a ton of money. You might even consider a 600RR. Dont' be fooled by the small cc. Your still going to be looking at over 100hp, 0-60 just over 3 secs, and a 1/4 mile of mid 10's with a 600. If your buying a sportbike for a nice nimble quick ride, you can't go wrong. A 1000RR may be more than you really want.

Another choice I would reccomend would be an 1100XX. they are a bit bulkier, but they are set a little more towards the sport touring vs pure sportbike. They don't make em anymore as far as I know, but you may find a leftover or a good used one.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Baggerdude

Don't plan to mod it ... maybe a different windscreen ?
Ha! I said the same thing when I bought my 06. Good luck with that!

Honestly, I think you will be uncomfortable at first, the lean will seem extreme and the angle of the grips will feel weird, but I DO think you will get use to it. Alot depends on your riding style. I put less wieght on my wrists but paying more attention to my posture. I think you will be fine for 2-3 hour trips on the bike once you get past the learning curve.

I currently use my bike almost daily. I have 15,000 miles on my 06 and, although I am only 33, I plan to be the same way when I am 60+. You, sir, are an inspiration!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Onarom
I currently use my bike almost daily. I have 15,000 miles on my 06 and, although I am only 33, I plan to be the same way when I am 60+. You, sir, are an inspiration!
Well, thanx, m'friend. I still mountain bike 2/3 times a week and work out 2/3 times, too. I don't bench 300 anymore (who does?)... tendonitis in my shoulders took care of that. But, I try to keep as fit as I can. I do a few rounds on the heavy bag and shoot some hoops, too. But, I'm just an average old dude. [/align][/align]I have to tell you .... riding the ST with some younger folks was a revelation to me. We took some corners at speeds I was uncomfy with, but now I ride like this all the time. Sorta inspires confidence. You have to remember that cruisers are not good twisty machines, but the ST and the Wing are pretty confidence inspiring, now. I'm grateful for the ST riders inviting me along. But, I'm sure my bikes are many degrees away from the CBRs.[/align][/align]I wonder if the ergonomics of the '07 is better for me than the '08?? The saddle ... such as it is ... is less padded than the '08. And, the '07 is less expensive. But, not by much.[/align][/align]I'm going to try to ride one ... or both ... of these bikes this weekend. Hopefully, they will let me take them out for a short ride.[/align][/align]

Old 05-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you got the itch for a sportsbike but aren't ready to give up all the comfort you mentioned, another option you may want to consider (if you haven't already) is to look at the Honda VFR / Interceptor. It's a little sportier than your ST but still gives you comfort (more upright seating position etc..).

Name:  GV7X9356.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  50.3 KB

Old 05-27-2008, 09:37 PM

KB .... actually, I started out thinking about the VFR, but tho't it too much like my ST in presentation, performance and such. Am I wrong here? I does have 'bags'.

Then .... looking at the Honda site, the CBRs started looking like something else all together.

Plus, the local Honda dealers have CBRs on the floor, but not Interceptors.

Bagger in CT-land

Old 05-27-2008, 10:02 PM

Hello fellow Ct. rider! From the sounds of it, NO sportbike would be comfy for you. I would suggest a Busa or a ZX14 to satisfy the sportbike rider in ya. My buddy is about 50 and rides bikes like you, but still likes to buy sportbikes now and then, and he will go with the big-bores, much more comfy! Go sit on a ZX14, I bet you'll like it.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:20 AM

If it is between the 07 and 08, I would go with the 08. I have read that it handles "just like the 600RR". That alone is quite a feat.

Don't get me wrng, I have an 06 and I love it (and it looks better IMO), but I can easily admit that the 08 is a better bike. Don't forget that you can always get a Corbin or Seagent seat and get Heli-bars to change the riding position.

The ZX14 and Busa are more comfortable and very powerful, but they are not nearly as easy to handle in the curves. It all depends what is more important to you.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying CBR1000 ... help, please !