Take your turn

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 12:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Take your turn

My chicken strips are almost identical on both sides, somewhere around 1/8 of an inch, but I do find left hand turns much easier to negotiate and hold a line.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:44 AM

i'm left handed. it's a lot easier for me to turn left. a lil harder for right.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:03 PM

left leans are easier than right for me too. i heard one theory from an msf instructorthat ithas to do with your eyes. not sure, but its similar to when you shut one eye to aim (ie, a gun at a shooting range) and itsa specific eye that is the correct aim. or you could ask people in countries who ride on the opposite sides of the road their opinions to compare.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:03 PM

I will go with that! I am right handed but shoot left handed. I do turn right handed much harder than I do my left.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:07 AM

I have an answer for this. When you are making a left turn your right (throttle hand) is extended out and forward. When you make a right turn your right hand is compressed close to your body. You are able to apply more stability with it extended.

Mark

Old 07-03-2007, 10:08 AM

ORIGINAL: CBRage

I have an answer for this. When you are making a left turn your right (throttle hand) is extended out and forward. When you make a right turn your right hand is compressed close to your body. You are able to apply more stability with it extended.

Mark

Old 07-03-2007, 12:46 PM

Im right handed. At first it used to be right hand turns felt better then lefts. And still kind of do. But Ive worked on my lefts to where they are pretty much the same. To me it was a comfort factor.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:47 PM

ORIGINAL: CBRage

Mark
HUH?

Old 07-03-2007, 03:10 PM

im right handed and feel better with left hand curves.......maybe since i am right handed(and right legged) when you are in a left lean, you are "hanging on" with your dominant/strong arm & dominant/strong leg.....kind of like hanging from a tree limb with your dominant hand vs weak hand??? i dunno....just thought id throw it in there

but i like the explanatin of psychological with the right-hand pipes dragging.......makes sense to me

Old 07-03-2007, 04:53 PM

heres your answer for this from the new guy... there are 2 factors that play into the turning left is easier then turning right...

1st reason: Coriolis effect - (physics) an effect whereby a body moving in a rotating frame of reference experiences the Coriolis force acting perpendicular to the direction of motion and to the axis of rotation; on Earth the Coriolis effect deflects moving bodies to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere (thus you are fighting it when turning left and are more stable, while turning right it is "forcing" you down making you feel less stable.

2nd reason: look at the camber on most roads for water drainage, the road is slightly higher in the center then it is on right (or left respectively) side so that the water will run off the road rather then sit on it. so when taking a right hand turn your bike will be leaned at the same angle as you would in a left but due to the road being lower on the right side then the left of your tire your "chicken strips" will tend to be slightly larger on the right side.

hope this clears things up for ya.

Quick Reply: Take your turn