Steel Braided brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 08:22 AM
QCS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel Braided brake lines

Probably answered before, but at any rate...

Anybody has experience with fitting steel braided lines to the RR? If so, any problems with the installation? What are the obvious changes?

Ari

Old 12-27-2004, 09:42 PM
Default RE: Steel Braided brake lines

I have not done it yet so I can't answer all of your questions but I have done a lot of reading on them. The most positive thing I find is that they do not expand so your braking is very consistent, there will not be any fade due to rubber line swelling. I personally plan on doing it here soon.

Old 12-28-2004, 03:33 AM
QCS

To be more specific:

I have a lot of experience with fitting braided lines to other bikes, I was just wondering about the effect on the new fireblade, which has great brakes anyway.

Ari

Old 12-30-2004, 01:36 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you already purchased a set of brake lines? If so what brand and how much $$$. Are you going to replace the clutch line also with SS? I've been thinking about it but honestly the stock brakes are absolutely awesome. Still, SS braided looks cool.

Old 12-30-2004, 03:37 AM
QCS

1. Didn't get the lines yet.
2. Didn't think about the clutch, but it is not a bad idea.
3. If I will get them, it will probably be from goodridge (you can check it out at http://www.goodridge.net/).

The real reason I am asking is because the stock brakes are already state-of-the-art, with great feel, etc. I am not sure that getting them to respond harder and quicker is such a good idea.

Ari

Old 12-30-2004, 02:12 PM

I was wondering about the brake lines also..I have 04 CBR 1000RR and ppl say changing the lines is a good thing. I feel the bike is fine. How much better will it make it. The question is - IS it worth the time and money to change them?

Dragon

Old 01-02-2005, 11:37 AM
QCS

Ordered a set of HEL steel braided lines (in red). It is 2 front and one rear lines.

Once in, I will install them and come back to report.

Old 01-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lots of pics please. I'm pessimistic that anything can make the brakes better.

Old 01-02-2005, 04:56 PM

I have had steel braided lines on a bunch of different bikes, and always at first I wasnt sure if it was a good idea ( until I get used to them) Steel braided lines offer LOTS of power, but not alot of "feel" until you get acustomed to them...with the stock lines the "feel" or "feedback" is in a much broader range and the steel braided lines narrow that range down quite a bit....instead of 2 finger stoppies you could almost do it with one finger!! (once you learn the engagement point) and at the track (which is what they are really designed for) the higher speed make the "feel" more like the stock lines at street speeds...with less fade under HARD stopping

Old 01-04-2005, 01:21 PM
QCS

Thanks for the input sirlimpzalot.

My Bakker CBR1000, has front and rear steel braided lines and I love the way the brakes react. In a way, the feel is much firmer than even the 1000RR.

As I said, the lines are on the way. I will report, including pictures as soon as they are on (which might take some time because they are being shipped from the UK).

Quick Reply: Steel Braided brake lines