stabilizer

Old 04-21-2010, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stabilizer

Just bought an 06 cbr 1000rr. Two thing I don't like about the bike compared to my 08 gsxr750. The stock stabilizer seems to be worthless. If i set the bike down after a second gear wheelie it shakes pretty bad back and forth. The other thing is no gear read out. These are the products im looking at to fix these issues.

GPR V4 stabilizer
GI-PRO indicator.

Are these good mods anybody with any experience with them? I have seen the GI-PRO on a zx10 before and like that. But the gsxr had a stick type stabilizer and worked very well. So far I love the Honda plenty of power and feels very light compared to other liter bikes.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:31 AM

i never understood why you need a gear indicator... there is only 6 gears, if you don't know what gear you are in somethings wrong, especially after you own your bike for a while are get used to it. I always thought the new honda dampers on these bikes were awesome. Do you think something else could be causing the shake? because it should shake too much at all...but the GPR V4 is a GREAT steering damper if you have the need I think you will like that one.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:14 PM

maybe the stabilizer is bad. i no the gsxr is 10x better in that department. also no helmet lock on these bikes. You cant tell me you have never been crusing at 85 on the highway and went to grab another gear and there isnt one? the 7th gear phantom shift?

Old 04-21-2010, 11:14 PM

I think you just need to ride your bike a bit more and get the feel of it. I have an 02 F4i and an 05 1000RR, and after riding the F4i and then getting on the 1000RR its night and day with the stabilizer on it. As for knowing your gears, alot of that comes with knowing your bike and hearing your rpms.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:06 AM

I do only have a 1oo miles on it so far. The stabilizer for sure has to upgraded. There are like 50 stock ones on ebay for 20 bucks. They cant be that good if they are that cheap and that many people upgraded them.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:07 PM
June 2009 ROTM

That's strange, I've never had any wobble. Then again I don't usually do the big show-off wheelies, more the skipping the front tire off the ground power wheelies.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:47 PM

if i give my bike more than 1/4 throttle in first and second it comes right up. the wobble doesn't happen in first but i guess cause of the higher speed in second it happens every time.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:13 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onequicktang
The other thing is no gear read out. These are the products im looking at to fix these issues.

GPR V4 stabilizer
GI-PRO indicator.

Are these good mods anybody with any experience with them?
I installed a GI Pro on my 08 1kRR a few months ago. It's something that Honda should have incorporated in the display but now that I have it I really like it. I feel like I am riding more smoothly now that I can glance down and know what gear I'm in and no more phantom 7th gear shifts on the highway. Remembering what gear I'm in is one less thing I have to be concerned with while riding now.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:34 AM

Not sure on the stabilzer either. Mine is awesome. You also have to remember that alot of the stabilizers you see on ebay are parted out scrapped bikes. Also, quite a few will replace them for racing situations, but those are extreme where the stock dampner, is not adjustable, and racers want the adjustability.

But, for a check. Put your bike on a rear stand, start it and put in gear. Have a friend hold the bike steady, and turn the handle bars. They should turn easily at slow speeds. Bring the mph up a bit and you should notice the handlebars harder and harder to turn. I tried mine, and around 35 mph, I couldn't turn them at all.

any other mods to the bike? the damper is speed sensitive. Theres not something that could be affecting it is there? Also, if your getting a bad shake, your probably setting the bike down with the wheel turned, not straight. The damper is doing its job, but its going to shake some as the wheel straightens out if that is what your doing.

Having said that, the stock damper is desinged to provide damping over a wide range of situations. if your main concern is damping a high speed wheelie, then maybe an adjustable one is the best thing to get.

But I gotta think that wobble would have been a tank slapper if not for the stock unit.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:34 AM

The best bet is to keep the bars straight when the front end comes down...don't rely on the damper to save it for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stabilizer