Speedo/sprocket question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo/sprocket question

I was finally done wit puttin my bike together after two months of hard work just last night. So of course i raced home and changed into my gear and rode the hell out of her for hours last night, prolly did a bit over a hundred miles. I put the 520 chain on wit a 15 front tooth sprocket and a 41 rear tooth (i got the 05 1000rr)...so im -1/+1. She def handles a hell of alot better and everything but i was wondering if the speed on the speedo is right? I was riding pretty hard and fast last night and i was noticing that people were passin me up. I mean the speedo said 65 mph and people were passin me and the road is a posted 45. So is the speedo kickin out the wrong numbers or was everybody just driving like a bat out of hell last night?

Old 11-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Default RE: Speedo/sprocket question

It's my understand...that even the stock speedo... is off. So, add your modification to the equation... and I'd say she - you're a bit off. I wouldn't say more that 10 - 12 MPH. I educationed guess. Keep in mind I'm a dumbass!

Old 11-25-2006, 11:40 AM

I just bought a GPS unit yesterday and one of the first things I did was take it on the bike. At 42 MPH, the GPS unit said I was only doing 39- and that is with stock gearing. I am certain that the faster you go, the greater the error in speed. Since you changed you gearing, it will be even more significant on your bike. Keep in mind- this means your odometer will be off too- it will show you putting on more miles to your bike than you actually are.

Do a search in this forum for a speedo healer. This is a device that will correct your speedometer.

Old 11-25-2006, 02:27 PM

ORIGINAL: dizzie56

I put the 520 chain on wit a 15 front tooth sprocket and a 41 rear tooth (i got the 05 1000rr)...so im -1/+1.
Stock on a '05 is 16-41 ... so your -1/+0.

GPS and a Speedo Healer is the only way to go.

Old 11-25-2006, 07:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya this is an easy one Dizzie,

i went -1 in front and my error is now 14%.

get a speedo healer

Old 11-25-2006, 08:16 PM

14% -1 sounds like a lot unless you're also taking your stock speedo error into account.

Here's how you can calculate what error the sprockets will yield:
http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/11033.aspx

Doing the math, (assuming a stock is 16/41 as stated above) -1/0 will give a 6.3% speedo error (plus the stock speedo error).

Old 11-26-2006, 04:10 AM

That sucks, I finally took home my CBR today and for some reason, it seems as if I was going slower than traffic but my odometer says the main speed limit...My wifey was ahead of me and stated I was going to slow. This speedohealer...where can i get one and is this covered under the warranty. thanks

Old 11-26-2006, 01:14 PM

what do you mean
is this covered under warranty
the speedohealer?
no aftermarket part is ever covered under a warranty
or do you mean the speedometer being off covered under warranty
again no
all speedo read faster than you are really going
so if you change the gearing it is even more off

speedohealers can be found everywhere you just have to search for it
if you watch long enough the vendor pop ups on this site will advertise them

you must have either a gps or a radar gun to get your total margin of error
and then go to the speedo healer website and it has a program that will tell you the correct numbers to calibrate your healer
its not a hard install but you will need to read the calibration instructions a few times because that part can get complicated with all the switching and button pressing that you have to do

Old 11-27-2006, 12:29 PM

well im glad i didnt go up 1 in the back then cause it allready feels like i lost a bit of top end. but on the flip side it is def more responsive from the line. it used to feel like it was bogged down a bit off the line and now just wants to go. between the chain and sprocket conversion and the slip on i put on she is a completely different bike and i love the way she feels

Old 11-27-2006, 07:14 PM

I'm with baxsom, get a speedo healer.

Quick Reply: Speedo/sprocket question