riding comfort

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default riding comfort

I got a 1krr last week and i noticed that my hands go numb when i ride. I have less that 400 miles on it now. do you guys have any sugesgtion on how to make the 1krr more rider friendly. Also my girlfriend likes to go with me and really kills me.

Does anybody sugest gloves or ... well anything that would help. (Im not a big fan of gloves never have been)

FYI I got the silver 06

Old 07-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Default RE: riding comfort

Welcome Onenut. Great name.

The Fireblade isn't extremely comfortable. I don't think we buy Superbikes for comfortable. With that said, I sympathize with your dilemma. I know what you're talking about with your hands going numb. From my experience, I know at about 5K-6K RPM, I feel most of the machines vibration causing my throttle hand to go numb. I try to keep it above the 7K RPM level to avoid that. Also, I remind myself to make sure my arms are in and bent. If you're arms are too straight and stiff, you're going to feel plenty of vibration which will contribute to your numbness. Try to lean forward and in a slouch position.

Now, I too ride with my wife often and it's a bit more challenging to keep the right posture. Make sure your pillion is relaxed and comfortable. Make sure they find a sweet spot and stick to it. It'll come with time, comfort, and trust. Have your passenger place their hands on the tank for stability. Other than that... just ride and with time it'll (should) improve.

Finally, try Gel gloves or well padding gloves. That'll offer some help.
Good luck!

Old 07-11-2006, 01:50 PM

Congrats on the scoot, sorry to say that really don't think anything fixes that, unless you change the ergos. I wear gloves and still have the same problem, part of it is the ergo's themselves. I find myself locking my elbows occassionally, and have to make a mental note to flex my arms. It has gotten better the more miles I have ridden. The only real solution would be to add helibars, different saddle and adjustable rearsets. (I have the latter 2, and they seem to help a bit) I can bring myself to put helibars on the 1krr in fear of how they might impact the handling

Old 07-11-2006, 05:32 PM

got these spiegler kit for my gsxr1000 works real well

Name:  IMG_0222.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  58.9 KB

Old 07-11-2006, 05:57 PM

This happened to me a lot when I first started riding regularly, and tended to dissipate over time. Sure, on LONG rides it still happens, but it'll get better.

Other things that will help -- make sure you're keeping your arms loose, and don't have your elbows locked out. Occasionally flap your arms like a chicken (yes, I'm serious) to make sure you're not so tense. Also, make sure you don't have the death grip... hand fatigue and numbness are all the worse when you're holding on for dear life. And finally, make sure you're supporting yourself with your thighs gripping the tank, as well as your abdomen and back, rather than holding yourself up by your hands.

And last but not least, look for some gloves with a nicely padded palm, or gel inserts. This, too, will cut down on fatigue, numbmess and cramping.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:23 PM

I'll be 48 this fall... and I had never ridden a sportbike before last December. If I can ride this bike, anyone should be able to as long as they don't have any physical problems.

The 1000RR takes a little getting used to, but if you ride often and not just little 30-60 minute rides, you'll get used to it. Your body will respond. Use all of your body and not just your hands and arms. Use your abs, back, legs, and arms to support you and don't sit in the same position all the time. Move around. Even if you aren't draggin a knee, move your *** around on the seat in the corners. And as mentioned, stay loose. I find the more fun the road, the less tired I get.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:41 PM

Olympia make some really nice gel-padded gloves. I use 'em all the time.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:47 PM

I just got mine and have been on it for more than 2 hours at a time. I do have heli bars. Like the others said, I support most fo my weight with my back, stomach, and legs wrapped firmly around the tank. I actually practice this when I'm not riding. I have long arms, so a bent elbow comes natural for me. And yes, loose the death grip...it make a "huge" difference for me.

As far as having a passenger goes, I have my eye on the BMW R1200 CL for that.

CONGRATS ON THE BIKE!!!

Old 07-11-2006, 10:19 PM

I had the same problem with my 954.Right hand goes numb loose feeling hard to control gas.1000RR 06 same thing.Trying gloves let you know how it works out.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:04 PM

I wear Dainese X-Metal gloves. I cannot feel any vibration at all with them on and can ride for hours. These might do the trick for ya.

Quick Reply: riding comfort