Riding in the cold...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Riding in the cold...

the gloves I use are impact gloves used when using jackhammer.got them at work hopping they would lessen the numbness in my hands when riding.They worked but not for winter driving.when the temp dropped I just put socks over the gloves cutting a hole out for the thumb.then I put duct tape over the outside of the sock to break the wind.Worked great but I looked like a homeless person riding my RR.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:22 PM

I was about to say, I bet you looked like a hobo!

Old 10-20-2006, 02:17 AM

ORIGINAL: hondacbr1000

I just put socks over the gloves cutting a hole out for the thumb.then I put duct tape over the outside of the sock to break the wind.Worked great but I looked like a homeless person riding my RR.
Oh man, that made me laugh pretty good because that is so ghetto! But a pretty good idea still. Best bet (for not looking like a hobo) is glove liners or winter riding gloves...or the electric ones.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:22 PM

ok guys I have the new leather glove and they help, but damn it getting bad... My finger tips are done... What else can I do?

I got the skull/ninja mask, and thats awsome.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:51 PM

I was thinking electric gloves but I think there is other ways.I know old socks and duct tape are kind of nasty but I was in a spot and needed something quick.Anyway I think some kind of mitten over gloves work well.I also tried this set up with a credit card in the mitten to block the cold fromm getting the fingers.It worked I am thinking that maybe the higher the credit card limit the warmer the hands.Like I have 10.000 dollar limit my hands stayed nice 20.000 dollars probably stay toasty.5.000 dollars probably have to get them amputated.Really though key is blocking the wind.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:51 PM

I'm gonna see if I can find so kind of insert today at the local sport store. Then I'm gonna try walmart.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:58 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought some Alpinestars Tech Series Thermostat socks that help out TREMENDOUSLY. They go above the knee and keep your legs warm much better than long-johns and whatnot. Here's the link where I bought them from:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...62&Division=5#

Old 10-27-2006, 11:46 AM

was going to ride to work wednesday night but the winds were stong and I was afraid to cross tappan zee bridge.That crosses over the Hudson, New york state thruway connecting westchester and rockland county.You get a strong gust of wind center span and you could get spanked nice.Anyway with all these tips and links to cold weather riding I still havent done anything to correct my problem.I am still left off where I started socks and duct tape.what is even worse is that I have been riding since 1981 and I still havent figured out a game plan.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:21 PM

I haven't done much cold weather riding on the street. However when I raced motocross on cold race days and practice days I never could deal with the double glove thing so I use to put those little heat packets into my gloves. I forget who makes them but you can buy them at any sporting goods store, probably even wal-mart or target, and they lasted well over 30 minutes at a time. They are super cheap and work amazing for a decent period of time. I am not sure what the exact life of them is but look into them. Just slide them into the backside of your glove and our hands will be toasty warm. They rest on the top of your hand and your glove will hold them in place. The heat those little packs produce is enough to get all the way down to your finger tips. You can also slip them into your bellacalva if you really want to keep your head and neck warm.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:35 PM

It's getting cold here is New England so I finally broke down this fall and bought a pair of Gerbing heated gloves. It was THE BEST investment I did. A little pricey, $139 for the gloves and $99 for a double thermostat. I'm glad I bought the double one because this weekend I'm going back to the store and buying the jacket liner ($199) that goes with it so I can control the two items independently. Now I know I can stretch out more days of riding!!

Quick Reply: Riding in the cold...