Ride at your own pace

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 02:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride at your own pace

I was riding with about 15 people today and we were hitting some curves that I was unfamiliar with. The majority of the people I was with were hitting the curves pretty fast. I decided to slow down a bit and not worry about keeping up with everyone.

One of the guys I was riding with was borrowing his brother-in-law's CBR954 (you can already tell where this is going, huh). Well I am going to make this story short. He went long on a short curve and ran out of road. He went off the curve and down into a rather deep ditch where he somehow avoided hitting a tree. The bike is a mess. Luckily, the rider had full gear and only minor cuts and bruises. Unfortunately, he has to tell the owner that his bike is trashed.

I am writing this to remind people to keep their ego in check when riding these powerful machines. So what if you get passed - it is better than riding outside of your skill level. I think he was rather lucky - I have seen smaller accidents claim the lives of the rider.

Accidents will happen and I have always said "It's not IF you have an accident, its WHEN" but don't let it be because you were trying to keep up with someone or because you wanted to show off.

I can't beleive I am talking like this and I am not even a parent (yet)

Old 11-27-2006, 11:12 AM
Default RE: Ride at your own pace

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1. I agree 100% and try to get that message across to all the newer riders I know.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:11 PM

+1, what really baffles me is that alot of these newbies don't wear gear. I'm not speaking of proper gear I just mean gear in general. Shorts and a t-shirt seem to be the standard gear for squids.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

+1. I agree 100% and try to get that message across to all the newer riders I know.
+1

Old 11-27-2006, 04:26 PM

yeah - i've been doing the same.. it's been awhile since i rode and getting used to how far i can lean and how fast i can get into a turn.. but taking it so slow everytime (taking the US-95 to the 215, it has a nice little degree left turn) but yea, if you dont know the road - it's always better to take it slow, no one will think of you any different and you still get to go home with your bike.

Sorry about your brother-in-laws bike =/ maybe a good reason to turn it into a stunt biker now? (if you dont have one or thinking about getting one)..

Accidents will happen and I have always said "It's not IF you have an accident, its WHEN"
there is also another saying - "there only 2 types of riders - ones that have wrecked and one that will"

Old 11-27-2006, 07:12 PM

Hum thats not as bad as what I seen this weekend in the crest (2).... If you can't hang with the big boys stay at home... Oh yeah that's me in the first pic, and my bike too.

Name:  nov24_002.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  2.2 KB
Name:  nov24_003.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  38.6 KB
Name:  nov24_001.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  26.6 KB

Old 11-27-2006, 07:35 PM

damn what can be the possible cuase for that accident.. i would never wanna see my bike looking like that ...

Old 11-28-2006, 12:15 AM

Like they say. "There are TWO types of RIDERS." The ones that have been down, and the ones that will go down.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Nevaeh Speed

If you can't hang with the big boys stay at home...
the big boys go to the track. [sm=smokin.gif]

Quick Reply: Ride at your own pace