Returning member needs y'alls help!

Old 05-21-2009, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Returning member needs y'alls help!

Greetings everybody. I haven't been around here lately, as I have been without a bike (so sad) but I'm finally back in the market! Which brings me to why I need help from you guys who know the answers.

I'm looking at a few different Fireblades. There's an '04 with ~3000 miles on it, bone stock, that the guy kicked over while washing it. He's asking $5000.

There are two '06s, one with 4000 and one with 10000 miles, both of these guys are asking just over $7000, both are bone stock. Reason I'm considering these is they're both the blue and yellow color scheme which I LOVE.

There's another '06 with full jardine exhaust, fender eliminator, flush turn signals, and shorty levers, 4000 miles, guy's asking $7000. Like this one because I'd do a lot of those mods to the bone stock bike.

The interesting one is the dealer nearby still has a silver (fine with me) '07 fireblade sitting on the showroom floor, brand new, full warranty. They're asking $9500, which seems like a ripoff, considering that they should be fighting to get rid of the 08's and 09's, let alone an '07.

Which bike do you guys think I should pursue? And what prices would y'all pay for these various bikes? Assuming they're all in good condition(except for the one that got kicked over, it's got some scratches of course).

Thanks
Acumen

Old 05-21-2009, 11:45 AM

Acumen...
I say go with the blue and yellow. Absolutely the sweetest color scheme ever made!!! (I say that with some bias!! Check my gallery.)
Really though, I would go with the one that has the Jardine full exhaust. But, there's nothing like putting the first 1000 miles on your bike!!! IDK .... I don't think you can really make a wrong decision here. At the end of the day, it depends on your pocket and how much you want to spend!

Old 05-21-2009, 01:15 PM

Haha your post is pretty much exactly how I feel - all of them would be great. It's just a question of how much I wind up spending and on which bike. The brand new one seems like a great opportunity, but I feel like $9500 is a massive ripoff for a bike that's about to be THREE years old.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:27 PM

I'd say stay away from the new 07 model. As soon as you drive that off the dealers floor, you'll loose 2 grand in value due to its age.

If it were me, I'd look into an 08 model. If you shop around, you can find a left over one for right around 9000 out the door. You may have to travel a little, but it would be worth it. They are the newer model, will hold more value if you need to sell it, and while the look of the 08's dont appeal to me as much as the 07, they are the best looking newer model bikes out there. And while I have't had a chance to ride one yet, they are suppose to be a far better bike in all aspects.

If I were in the market for another bike, it would be an 08 or 09 1000RR, or ducati 1198.. but thats a bit out of my price range..

Old 05-21-2009, 02:34 PM

Squid,
Thanks for your advice. You don't think that I could negotiate a price that would make the 07 worth it? I mean if I got them down to 5 grand, it'd be a no brainer, but that's not going to happen.

Yea - I test rode the Ducati 848...that was fun. 14 grand is a lot of money.

Only reason that I'm considering the new '07 is that for the right price it would be worth it with the 5 year warranty, I thought...maybe not?

Thanks,
Acumen

Old 05-21-2009, 04:49 PM

2006 cbr 1000rr all the way. Blue/yellow. beautiful ride. The looks and color scheme are nice. I finished mine up with painted lowers to finish of the color scheme. Best styling in my opinion.

Attached Thumbnails Returning member needs y'alls help!-my-bike.jpg  
Old 05-21-2009, 04:57 PM

If you could talk them down to around 8000 out the door with a warranty, then I'd say the 07 would be a good deal. If you can buy an 08 for 9000 out the door, it would be hard to justify an 07 being worth more than 8000 in my eyes. Its not like the 08 is just a carry over model, its a completely redisgned model that has won the majority of shootouts. The 07 model was basically a carry over of the 04 model. Sure, it had a few body tweaks here and there in 06 and a few engine mods, but it is basically the same bike as an 04. For me, if your planning on spending around 9000 grand, then get the 08 model. If your wanting to spend around 5 grand, then the 04 model would be a good choice, as long as the damage is minimal.

Also the 06 with full system and other mods isnt too bad. Depending on mileage. But if your going to do those mods anyway, that may be the way to go.

I had a very similar situation when I bought an 04 1000RR. I went to the dealership and they had an 02 954 on the floor. They wanted 9500 for that, but 10000 for the 04 1000RR. A 2 year old bike for 500 less than the new model 1000RR? I was really liking the 954, but how could I buy that when the 1000RR was only 500 more? Long story short, a guy I ran into a year later bought the bike, for 9000, almost 10000 out the door. He was trying to sell the bike. He was asking 9500 for it, cause thats what he still owed on it. At that time, the bike only booked for 7 or so. I dont know if he ever sold it, but thats a situation you want to avoid at all cost. If you can buy the bike for what the average retail is or less, then your in an ok situation. I would never pay more for a bike than what is average retail is used. After all, it will be used as soon as you put your first mile on it.

Last edited by justasquid; 05-21-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:06 PM

Alright, just got pre-approved for financing. It's really coming down to the wire. Looks like the 06 with mods has sold.

I'm looking at an 06 blue and yellow, guy's not coming down past 6800, and the leftover '07, might be able to get for ~8000 with extended warranty.

Thoughts? Should I wait it out for a better deal?

I can't wait to be back on 2, I promised myself I'd do the work and not overpay this time around but man i'm getting impatient haha.

Thanks,
Acumen

Old 05-26-2009, 05:50 PM

Keep in mind, depending on where your located, you will still have to pay taxes and plates on the 06.

If you can get the 07 for 8 grand out the door with an extended warranty, that would be a good deal. If its closer to 9000 if they add taxes and set up fees, I'd opt for getting an 08 model. Thats what I would do if I was looking for a new bike. If you look, you can find 08 models for 9 or less.

Its not that any of the deals you mentioned are bad. Its just when they are offering 08 models for 9, its hard to justify buying anything else. If the 08 was a carry over model, then it wouldnt matter, but its a completely different bike.

Im still suggesting a leftover 08.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:16 AM

Well...

I kind of took your advice Justasquid, and I've been looking for an 08 around here. I could probably get one for somewhere near $9000 but it would involve taking time off work and travelling, etc, as the dealers nearby don't have any left apparently.

I talked to the dealer about the leftover '07 that they have yesterday, said 8000 and the manager came out and said "this is my rock bottom price, just moving the metal" and showed me $9024+TTL written on a sheet of paper. I almost laughed him out the door. That would be like $11000 otd for a 3 year old bike.

So, still hunting, but the '06 is looking more and more like the one I end up getting. Love the blue and yellow...

Thanks for y'alls help.
Acumen

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Returning member needs y'alls help!