Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pipe

Has anyone made any modes the the 05 1000rr stock pipe. I was wanting to make it louder, but not wanting to spend the money for a new pipe or a slip on. I was thinking about cutting holes in the baffel, or cutting it in half. Anyone got any ideas, would love the help. Thanks!

Old 01-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Default RE: Pipe

I`ve heard of drilling the original baffle out, never done it myself maybe someone else can add more.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:08 PM

I did it to mine. I used a 1 1/8" hole saw from home depot. I was really after the 1 1/4" (the largest you can fit) but could not find one that size for metal. The biggest problem I ran into was finding a power drill extension long enough to get to the baffle. I wound up using a long 1/4" ratchet extension. IMO the bike sounded great with one hole on each side and the exhaust valve cables removed. I would say a little louder, and a bit deeper than a Yosh RS-5. It has a sexy deep tone under 4K and fkn screams in the upper revs. (you can hear it just fine over 120 MPH wind noise [sm=tongue.gif]) If you do it, use a hole saw or nothing at all. I first tried using a large drill bit and made a honeycomb pattern in the baffle and it sounded like ****. (sounded like an air hose from a compressor)

I have done more to my exhaust since then, but for the time and effort, I was very pleased with the results the hole saw gave me. I say go for it....

Old 01-10-2006, 06:22 PM

Cool thanks I will give it a try! Anyone else?

Old 01-10-2006, 06:45 PM

Be sure to have your bike tuned correctly if you do the mod tho.
I do know a guy who put a slash cut in his exhaust and runs it w/o a muffler..Loud as f*ck but I think it is cool. He said he had to have it adjusted abit.
That mod may not work for your application tho ..sorry that 's all I know

Old 01-12-2006, 08:00 PM

Not for nothing, but that is ghetto. You shouldn't risk messing up the bike/pipe. And I'm not saying this b/c your a girl (I am one too), I'm saying it b/c if your like me, you'll freak if you put a scratch in it, or if it's too loud, etc. You should shop around (ebay) and I'll ask my friend what he can do for you price wise.

Old 01-13-2006, 02:13 AM

ORIGINAL: pitsvtec

Not for nothing, but that is ghetto. You shouldn't risk messing up the bike/pipe. And I'm not saying this b/c your a girl (I am one too), I'm saying it b/c if your like me, you'll freak if you put a scratch in it, or if it's too loud, etc. You should shop around (ebay) and I'll ask my friend what he can do for you price wise.
I don`t know about the straight pipe idea, I bet it pisses the neighbors off....As far as messin up the bike by doing work to the baffles, I don`t see how you could go wrong unless drunk, dumb and blindfolded..... The baffles have nothing to do with the exterior of anything, and the last $300.00 slip on I checked out had a straight through design with no baffles at all, so I don`t see how modifying your stock baffles could hurt anything performance wise, unless you put ping pong ***** in it afterword. Theres nothing "ghetto" about having the ability to make something work better for you and doing it. If you run in a crowd that rates everything by the sticker or whats popular, then for the love of God, go buy a yosh, jardine, arata or whatever else is more expensive. But, my stock looking pipe sounds better than alot of top brands I`ve heard (with the exception of the carbon two brothers) and I`m sure performs just as well, for under $20.00, a little thought, and some easy hands on work. If you can do it and make it look good (to you), more power to ya girl, go for it...

Old 01-13-2006, 03:33 AM
Registered Users

I agree with nick0..if you modify it, be sure to have it tuned to accomodate and maximize your mods. A reputable bike shop can hook that up for you for under $50 or you can do it yourself armed with a handy dandy repair manual . Good job on being mechanically inclined...so few women are [sm=hail.gif]

Old 01-18-2006, 04:10 PM

Thanks my hubby loves that I am also, and you are right pits we are a like. I would get pissed if the littlest thing happens to my bike, but it's just not loud enough. I guess I could blame that on the Vance and Hines pipe I had on my last bike, but for some reason I just perfer to work on my own stuff.

Old 01-18-2006, 05:14 PM

Just Get an RS5 Slip on, Cheap enough from Fuelmoto on ebay.

Quick Reply: Pipe