Oil????

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil????

07' cbr 1000

I have no idea what oil to run in my bike. What does everyone run?
I like running fully synthetic. I used the honda pro stuff before, but I have no idea if I should run it with MOllY or without. What is Molly?

Right now I am running ELF moto 4xtech 4t 10w-50 synthetic.

Let me know what you guys runs and what you think is the best etc.

Thanks everyone

Old 03-16-2010, 11:01 AM

I run the Regular honda oil only... not synthetic... its not good for your clutch. ive been running it in my 600F3, 600F4, 929, 954, and 1000...all with no probs with motor or clutch, and i ride hard.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:55 AM

I run the Regular honda oil only... not synthetic... its not good for your clutch.
I completely disagree with that statement. Care to explain why synthetic is bad for your clutch?

What is Molly?
As for moly, its a slippery additive. Oil additives like slick50 were basically created based on it. Its awesome for things like transmissions and engines... However, its not good for any bike with a wet clutch as it can cause the clutch to slip. Unless they have a different style moly blend out now, it shouldn't be in any motorcylce oil for use with a wet clutch. More than likely, your looking at the oil for Honda's engines without a wet clutch, such as quads and pwc's. make sure you read the back of the bottle. It will probably state not for use with wet clutch.

Stick to good safe for wet clutch oils, and you'll be fine. Honda oils are good, if you don't mind spending the money. Personally, I use Amsoil 10w40 Moto, which is about the same price as the Honda sythentic. I really don't have a reason why I run it, other than it seems to make my bike shift smoother, and the research behind thier oil suggests its a good oil.

If you want to save some money, you can run regualar automotive oils, a lot of people do. As long as they are not energy conserving oils. Energy conserving oils have additives that will cause clutch slippage. They are there to aid in higher gas mileage by reducing friction. The problem I have found in the past with running automotive oils is once you find a good oil, they change the formula to energy conserving. I use to run Mobil One, then they changed it. It happened a few times over the years, now I just run motorcycle oil and remove all of the doubt. It became my stance that I spent thousands of dollars on my bike, my gear.... everything. I'm not about to take the least expensive expense for my motorcycle (oil changes), and try to save money there.

Just an opinion though.

Last edited by justasquid; 03-21-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:45 AM

amsoil full synthetic for a long healthy clutch and motor life.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:45 AM

MOOK1000RR: I heard a lot of people just run the reg honda oil but they do more frequent oil changes. When do you do an oil change?

Justasquid: thanks for explaining molly for me. So im guessing the cbr 1000rr is a dry clutch?

F44life: yeah I heard lots of good things about amsoil that will prob be the path to take for oil. When do you do oil changes?

Old 03-26-2010, 03:41 PM

Bikes have a wet clutch...thats why i say no synthetic...no moly! Wet clutch means your oil runs through your motor and tranny, they share the same reservoir. So the same oil u put into your motor is running through your clutch. This is why i use regular honda oil, no synth, no moly... its literally TOO slippery, and can cause clutch slippage. I change my oil once a season, which for me is around 4-5k miles... and if it aint broke, i dont fix it. Ive run regular honda oil in every honda bike ive had, all listed above... and never had a prob. At one point i was actually trying to blow the motor on my 929 with 25k miles on it, and i couldnt. Some of my bikes i literally beat the hell out of(stunting), and ive never had a motor prob ever.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:49 PM

The big Honda jug.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:58 PM
June 2009 ROTM

I run the elf synthetic motorcycle oil too, its a bit expensive though, but it shouldn't cause any issues with your clutch.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Castrol 4T ,Bike specific, @ Pepboys etc, Synth or Dino in various weights ....good stuff

Old 03-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Originally Posted by MOOK1000RR
I run the Regular honda oil only... not synthetic... its not good for your clutch. ive been running it in my 600F3, 600F4, 929, 954, and 1000...all with no probs with motor or clutch, and i ride hard.

This is just wrong information. If its a preference fine, but dont say its not good if you dont have facts.

As for oil, you can do a search here there are literally dozens of oil topics.
Most preferred though are (in no particular order) Amsoil, Honda GN4, Royal Purple, Shell Rotella.

If you really want and have 10 minutes or so to spare read this link, you can learn some actual FACTS about oil and come up with your own opinion. http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html