New guy...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 12:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy...

Hey Gang....

Just picked up an 05 blk/silver 1000RR today...is there anything problem I should be aware of besides my wallet going flat with mod fever and the stupid grin on my face that I cant seem to get rid off....I was wondering about heat problem coming from the under tail exhaust if there's any because it was pretty bad on the 04 R1 that I rode a couple of weeks ago....Thanks in advace...

Butch...

Old 04-24-2005, 01:46 AM
L8X
Default RE: New guy...

well youve got the heat shield for now. but once you go after market and remove it so it looks better, it'll be pretty warm. but hey, nothing will melt or anything (at least mine hasnt yet) anyways welcome!

Old 05-03-2005, 11:41 AM

Hello:

I too, am a new guy to this forum, to a Honda, and to a 4-cylinder motorcycle. I live in Wyoming and have been riding for over 15 years. My last three bikes were a Ducati 900SS SP, Ducati Monster 900, and an Aprilia Tuono...all Italian V-Twins. Unforntunately when I looked to buy a new bike all the Italian bikes I wanted (MV, Ducati) were close to $20,000. By the way, the only reason I sold my Tuono was to free up some funds for a small buisness I started.

Anyway, so I figured I wanted something totoally new, did some research and thought that the CBR1000 would be the best introduction into the 4-cycliner arena. All the critics and users say it's the most stable, has the most linear power delivery, and is the most "twin-like" in its torque delivery (read: good street bike). Also, I am 6'1 and 205 and felt that the 1000 would fit me better...besides I didn't like the tho8ght of having to wrap my bike to 11,000 rpm to get some decent torque like in a 600cc.

I picked the bike up in Fort Collins, CO and got a two bros exhaust, smoke double-bubble, and a few extra bits with tax included for just over $11,000. Ofcourse, just like all of my other bikes before I picked it up in a snow storm (I used a pickup to get it home) and it's been crappy weather ever since. So to help me pass the time I tore the bike apart to see what is behind all that plastic...like someone else has said on this forum, I like to know where everything is and how it works.

All of the aforementioned parts are coming in and I will install them myself. Still debating on the rear heat shield sticking out...may plasma cut it so it doesn't extend past pillion. Also, don't know what to do with my license plate without going the huge expense of an enitre integrated undertail.

I look forward to being a member of this forum and getting/receving advice. I will post px when I am complete with my parts an dit is put back together.

Drive safe.
So far I am impressed with the engineering and quality. I was dissapointed to find that they used one part for three in many areas (a sign of smart engineering and probably weight savings) so it makes it hard to remove unwanted items (rear pegs, extra plastic bits, helmet hangers).

By the way, it's a 2005 Titanium/Black.

Old 08-30-2005, 06:11 PM

i got a repsol a few moths ago. the thing about the aftermarket exhaust is, the heat shield wont fit almost every aftermarket. im not a master when it comes to building stuff, but my drill and hacksaw trimmed the heat shield to fit the new exhaust and actually look good. except for a few scratches where the saw slipped, i dont think it is possible to notice that it was ever cut, except it looks totally different.

Old 08-30-2005, 06:22 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chinchilla -- I cut and pasted the original plastics (and paint) to keep the heat shield for the 2Bros.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:26 PM

Hey chainstrecher!
I too cut the black and silver wings once I put on my two brothers. But I keep the heat shield alone. Only because I thought it would be a bitch to cut. Was it difficult to cut through? I been thinking of doing that mod because i don't want to take the whole thing off. just worried about the heat. But Iknow my carbon can keeps real cool but still scared! Let me know whats up?

[IMG]local://upfiles/1880/343BEC1390954E69BEBC748990AA1AD8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-31-2005, 04:06 PM

I Only ever notice the heat if i`m stuck in slow moving traffic like 10Mph which is extremely rare.