New to forum New BIKE

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum New BIKE

Hey everyone, IM new here and new to riding street bikes.

Just bought an 07 CBR 1000rr with .5 miles on the odometer for 8699 9550 out the door.

I know im going to get flamed about the first bike being a 1000 but thats fine.
Ill provide some data points
Insurance through allstate
147 down 133/ mo

2 speeding tickets last year
94 in a 65
57 in a 35

No wrecks clean record for previous 5 yrs excluding 2 tickets last yr

25 great credit

Im going to get in the Motorcycle safety course next weekend so save those posts too!

Heres my questions
First off
tell me about break in
They said at the dealer to keep it under 5k for the first 500 then under 9k for the first 1000

I have for the most part done that although now at 200 miles on it i have drifted to 7k a time or 2 mostly by accident

next up, Im a pretty damn mechanical person but i have never worked on bikes. I can rebuild a small block and do just about anything to a car but bikes are totally new.
For the 1st service they said they change the oil and retorque bolts and its 174$ is this a waste of cash? I can change the oil and lube the chain. Do they do anything worth having done?

next up pics!

Name:  IMG_0984.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  67.1 KB
Name:  IMG_0986.jpg
Size:  67.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0988.jpg
Size:  54.0 KB
Name:  IMG_0989.jpg
Size:  53.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0991.jpg
Size:  36.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0990.jpg
Size:  52.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0981.jpg
Size:  63.9 KB [/align]

Old 04-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Default RE: New to forum New BIKE

iam not gonna say nothing i started on my 900 and u have 2 nice ladies and a vette thats AWSOME

Old 04-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey vert welcome...

first off very nice choice of bike and vette..

well re: the break-in issue.. on my new bike was told also to keep under 7k rpm..we have to keep in mind that of course its a brand new engine so be easy with it b/c it'll determine the future of the bikes performance. According to my bikes manual, it says take it easy for the first 300 miles..dont know for the 07' model but it worth checkin. I would as I did recommend the (1st) service performed by the honda pros as they don't just do a simply oil change..they full inspect the bike and review stuff that you might miss. But thats ur call.

After the 600 mile service..according to my mech. ur fine and can bring up the rpm's accordingly.

for ur 1st bike being a 1k.. well again preference....

why not..but remember that 1k is a beast...

gotta 1000% take it easy...with crackin the throttle...

or she'll throw you off very easily...

Old 04-17-2008, 12:17 PM

I was fealing like the 1000 was a bit too much bike but the 600s are the real deal too. So really i have to be super careful on anything. Thats what ive been doing. I like life alot and have alot to live for so id prefer not to go out and kill myself or get run over by a minivan.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agreed..those 600's gixxers, r6's and rr's are pretty wicked indeed.. on several occasions I had 600's right there hangin with the 1k's

Old 04-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Don't die

Old 04-17-2008, 01:23 PM

98vert6spd Hey Vert ! Welcome.

Very smooth entry to the board btw. hehhee Diplomatic indeed You knew you were gonna get grilled for the 1K being ur 1st bike but you knew how cool it dwn, w/ 2 hunnies and the vette, right there on a side LOL. No worries what so ever.
Let me ask you this, how come you went for the 07, how much was the 08 where you were buying ( they have'em in silver I'm sure you no )

Welcome again

Phil

Old 04-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Welcome, i would say to the first maint yourself and save 100 bucks. As far as the break in goes there are a couple differant thoughts on that, however since you have 200 miles already its too late to do it any other way, ie the way i think is right .
Enjoy the bike, and hang around, lots off good advice to be had here, most of the bike info can be had with a search.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:10 AM

ORIGINAL: philnyc

98vert6spd Hey Vert ! Welcome.

Very smooth entry to the board btw. hehhee Diplomatic indeed You knew you were gonna get grilled for the 1K being ur 1st bike but you knew how cool it dwn, w/ 2 hunnies and the vette, right there on a side LOL. No worries what so ever.
Let me ask you this, how come you went for the 07, how much was the 08 where you were buying ( they have'em in silver I'm sure you no )

Welcome again

Phil

was going to be fulll msrp for the 08. they had only been on the floor for 1 week o therre were no deals to be had. Plus I told them i was interested in the 07 and I think they wanted to move it so they were going to steer me towards that. Honestly the extra power the 08 has is worth nothing to me. The one I bougth has too much power. Ill probavbly never ever ever even use close to what this bike offers. My buddy was trying to get me to mod the damn thing already but i cant see the point. In a way im kinda having buyers remorse cause I could have taken the 10200 i spent total with gear and put a twin turbo setup on my vette. But i guess ill get over it. I do like it and I cant wait till I can take my GF on the back of this thing. Im not ready to do that yet and safety is a big thing for me so Ill probably be waiting another month or so.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:46 AM

n a way im kinda having buyers remorse cause I could have taken the 10200 i spent total with gear and put a twin turbo setup on my vette. But i guess ill get over it. I do like it and I cant wait till I can take my GF on the back of this thing. Im not ready to do that yet and safety is a big thing for me so Ill probably be waiting another month or so.
Do not be remoreful , but please. This way you have 2 Silver Bullets . Corvette and the 1K. Look, unless you take your sports car to the track,it's pointless pump money into it. You know what I mean ? You'll earn more tickets and points along that route. With bike it's different , The Police looks different at bikers, (they ether nightstick'em or let'em fly away )they sorta understand that you're going 85, not 55 on a bike, with a car , there's no explanation, even for 10mph over the limit.

Enjoy, ride safe , to accomplish all that READ THESE TWO BOOKS ! http://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Mot...364&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Street-Strateg...364&sr=8-4

It's cookbook , an absolute prereq for all riders to return home safely.
Good Luck ! Don't delay on reading these 2 books.
Amen.

Quick Reply: New to forum New BIKE