New to forum, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 01:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum, need some advice

I didnt really know what thread to put this in so here it is... This spring Ill be buying myself a new bike. The thing is which one to get? A 1000rr or 600rr? Im an experienced rider from the dirt side of motorcycles. Raced motocross for years, 450B and 4 stroke open class top 5 racer... Almost everyone Iv asked about a 1000 or 600 says get the 600, because its your first bike, even though its deff not my first bike, though It would be my first STREET bike. How are your thoughts on this? Im not worried about the 1000s power being to much, just if its practible to have and is the 600 enough for me to have fun on. Any advice would be great

Old 10-05-2008, 07:27 AM
Default RE: New to forum, need some advice

this is a commonly asked question and your going to get a bunch of different answers. But heres my take,

Normally if someone has experience, I would say get what ever bike you want. But, there is one thing wrong with your statement. You said your notworried about the power of the 1000.. that statement alone tells me that you may not be ready for a liter bike. These machines demand respect, if you dont, you get hurt real quick. neither one of those bikes are dirtbikes or act anywhere near the same. Your looking at a bike that weighs well under 400 lbs and has 150+ hp to the rear wheel for the 1000.

A 600 would be a great starter bike, and they have plenty of power for you to use. Your not going to get bored with the power of it. They rip. Dont sell the 600's short, theyre still very capable bikes and they still run the quarter in just over 10 seconds. A few of the good things about the 600's are lighter, better mpg, handle better, (quicker turn ins,) and cheaper all around with insurance and up front cost.

My suggestion is to borrow a friends 600 and see for yourself. You'll probably be hooked. If you do get the 1000, just be careful. they are a lot to handle for an inexperienced street rider.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:21 AM

i wasnt saying... "Im not worried about the power of the 1000 bc I can ride whatever, however, wherever with ease".... lol. I was just saying I know I could handle my own with the bike, with respect of course. I have putt around the mall parking lot with my friends 98 cbr 900 and my friends 97 gsxr 750. I felt that when riding them I would be much happier with more power. But they are old bikes so I wouldnt really compair them to the new ones of today.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:08 AM

The newer 600s can have more powers than those bikes your on.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Banned

IMHO....you will not be dissapointed with either.....Both bikes demand respect.....I prefer the liter bike on the street....power when you want it right now.....But prefer the 600 for the track...(not ready for liter bike power on the track yet)......(but am stupid enough to have a tracked out liter bike lol)

It sounds like you have plenty of seat time under your belt. This is a very difficult debate....I loved my 600 on the street...but would not get rid of the 1krr now.

I think it is whatever you feel the most comfortable on.....ergo's, seating position, ease of use of controls, etc........

The only person that can truly tell you what to get is yourself....Make a decision and dont be dissapointed with it. Both bikes will offer you more than what you can use....

Old 10-06-2008, 05:20 AM

Alright as long as the 09 600rr has more power then the 900 and 750 i rode Ill be happy. I love the looks of the 600 more then the 1000 to. Also I would be shifting more on the 600 making it feel like Im "riding" a bike more then just hitting the gas a going, and that just seems boring to me...

Old 10-06-2008, 07:36 AM

ah, I mis understood your statement about the power of the bike.. sorry for that,

a new 600 is not going to have the seat of the pants feel of a 900 or 750. they just dont have the torque that a bigger bike does. Line em up in a drag race, and the 600 will be right there if not in front. But it does lack the lower end grunt of the others. A 600 is not going to start pulling hard until it hits its upper rpms, somewhere around 8-9 grand or so. they are awesome for the street as they are really tame down low, but scream up top. But you really can't compare it to a 900cc bike for low endpower.

I think a 600 being described as deceptively fast is a good one. your going a lot faster than it feels.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:16 AM
June 2009 ROTM

ORIGINAL: cmb323
. Also I would be shifting more on the 600 making it feel like Im "riding" a bike more then just hitting the gas a going, and that just seems boring to me...
Based on that statement I would go with the 600. I still miss having a smaller bike for that very reason. Anyway both will go very fast, and alot of people are actually faster and ride betteron the smaller bikes because the power is so much more manageable. That is not to say they are not powerful, the modern 600's are still nuts but just not as overly nuts as a liter.

I still consider getting a '09 CBR600RR with the pheonix paint next year, they are damn sexy and Imiss alot of the fun factor that comes along with dancing in the powerband, but I'm afraid I've been too spoiled by the big torque of the 1000.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:31 PM

I think its safe to say that most of us here started our love affair with bikes on something small and progressed up to our current bikes. I would also venture out on a limb and say that most of us also took some form of closed course saftey class or a track day. By doing so, you learn or should learn all the skills necessary to handle a bike on the street. After spending time on the road and class, you will find that 600's are a great way of re-introducing yourself to street riding. For me in particular, I owned 4 CBR600's before getting my first CBR900. Quite honestly, I wanted more top end since others in my riding group were all on bigger bikes, ZX9's, ZX11's, GSXR1100's, 750's etc.... I was much faster in the turns but I would get sucked up on the straights by these larger displacement bikes and it made me furious. The smaller displacement of 600's are excellent for track days, an aggressive romp through the mountains, kicking it around the city, but for all out speed, power wheelies, and that sense of getting thrown back in the seat, I would definitely get my hands on a CBR1000RR! BTW, I currently own a modded 04 CBR1000RR. Hope this helps!

Old 10-06-2008, 09:09 PM

thats another thing. Ill be the lonely 600 in the back. My friends all ride 750 900 and 1000s but we all live in a small town where theres only rt50 to ride on as a high way really (and rt13). I live 25 mins from Ocean City, MD.....

Also when riding a 1000 how often are you shifting? or do u just pop it in 2nd or whatever and ride

Quick Reply: New to forum, need some advice