Need Help.. SPeeding ticket..

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 01:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help.. SPeeding ticket..

OK.. i HAD a perfect drivingrecord.. no points or anything, until last week i was driving to school... i was driving slow because i knew that cops always roamed the street i was going down... well anyways i was driving and i was up to a light.. it was red so i was slowing down, but as i was getting closer to the light it turned green. I wasn't at the light yet, but there was a car who was stopped and when the light was green didn't move.. I slowed down even more and then i beeped.. The car started moving (slowly) and there was another car on the lane next to her.. the other car next to her began to speed up.. so i put my turn signal and then i passed the slow car.. I sped up just to pass the car driving slow... but when i did that there was a cop standing down the block with his speed radar on... (i didnt notice him) but when i proceeded down the street. someone walked to the middle of the street. it was the cop, he told me to turn of my bike. When i turned off my bike he took my keys and told me to roll to the side... When pulled over he didnt say anything... just took my info and came back to me with a 140 dollar ticket... he said i was going 50 on a 30.. i know i wasnt going that fast... WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Old 05-19-2007, 01:17 AM
Default RE: Need Help.. SPeeding ticket..

well, if you have some family that knows prosecutor etc nows the time to ask favors, just go down to the prosecutor before the trial and try to talk it down. if you think the cop was totally wrong plead not guilty, and then try to beat it or just talk to the prosecutor once again and see if they'll drop it down....you'll still probably get court costs but that beats a hefty fine as well.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:20 AM

woh.... if he clocked you with a radar that gonna be a toughy. the only way to get out of a radar enforced case is by having a lawyer. you will still pay the fine but you might avoid the points. however, that if youre lucky.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:37 AM

all i can say is that these bikes move quickly with out a lot of throttle responce. not saying you were but where i live 20 over is reckless driving and 140 wouldnt touch that around here.they just seem to have a sore spot for our sport bikes.but when i see how somr of the younger kids ride its no wonder they watch everyone. i was ridine 2 years ago on our favorite mountain following a van at 25 mph the cop sitting on the side of the rode pulls in behine me and gives me the buggle gum treatment.i want go into the story but i had to miss a day from work drive 50 miles to court along with everything i needed and it got thrown out of court and i am 54 years young and they make it harder on the younger boys i wish you luck.sorry for your trouble but if he knew you were just trying to pass the slow car he should of cut you a break

Old 05-19-2007, 10:53 AM

1 - Get a lawyer. Yes, it will cost you, but that is your BEST chance of getting outof a ticket (I recently got out of a rwckless driving ticket)

2- Ask to take the Driver Safety Course or ask to go under Court Supervision. These options (if available) are kind of like a "get out of jail free" card for first time offenders.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:18 PM

thanks for all the replies... this is my first offense ... do you guys think they will cut me some sort of break..??

Old 05-19-2007, 05:58 PM

If it's your first ticket and have a good record, I wouldn't even worry about it. Just pay and be done.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:39 PM

ORIGINAL: CBattR1000
thanks for all the replies... this is my first offense ... do you guys think they will cut me some sort of break..??
why would you think they will give you a break? trust me, the dmv judges heard so many stories that yours will not even come close to their crap list. if the officer comes in to court he will claim that you were reckless and coked out + other things. even if the officer does not show up, your case will be difficult to fight since its radar enforced.
i know you dont want to waste money on a lawyer but i think that is your safest choice to go with in order to avoid points.
good luck

Old 05-20-2007, 05:17 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try going to court and explaining it to the judge, and he might let you slide. But seriously though, it's just a speeding ticket. (and you were speeding.) So I would just pay the ticket or go to court, but getting a lawyer? That's way too extreme. I mean, really......a lawyer for a speeding ticket? Talk about frivolous.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:42 PM

Maybe the $400 spent on a lawyer would be cheaper than the increase in insurance premiums. If not, then I would just pay the ticket. You will have a clean slate again in three years.

Quick Reply: Need Help.. SPeeding ticket..