My stator issue...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My stator issue...

So last fridsy im headed north from newnan, GA on hwy 27. i get about 20 miles north and dash goes on the frits and eventualy goes out. 5 more miles lose spark and all electrical. Irlyer that day i had just spent 515$ on new joe rocket leather pants, gloves and Oxtar boots. after loading the bike up on the back of my tacoma 45 min later i get it to the stealership that afternoon. saturday i get a call from the lead mechanic. Stator and regulator rectifyer are bad. 500$ + for the parts. god knows about the labor. Any good advise. is the stator hard to change. i know i can get the parts online for cheaper. and the regulator rectifyer looks easy to change if i can find where its located on the bike.

all the riding gear i bought was on clearance and they charged me retail. its all going back tomarrow. My uncle is a dealer for www.six-gear.com so im getting a one peuce suit from him for cost. around 275$

Old 10-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Default RE: BUMMER / HELP ???

easy to change no problem
pm me and i can lead you to a service manual

what year is the bike
honda is covering bad stators in 04 and 05 models. search for it on 1000rr.net

parts should be included on the extended coverage recall

Old 10-15-2007, 07:57 AM

Its an 04 1000rr. i read the recal on 1000rr.net and it said it does not cover motorcycles that have electrical modifications. i have Digi gear indicator, blinkers and power commander. i googled honda motorcycle recals and found only a speedometer recal for a 25% error on some affected bikes. vehicle speed control recal.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:58 AM

I intend to buy the parts on line and do the work my self. any sugjestions on good sites to find parts?

Old 10-15-2007, 09:13 PM

One source for parts is http://www.hondaparts-direct.com/

They may not be the cheapest or the best, but I've had satisfactory results. The "alternator" (stator) is listed for $168. The regulator is found in the wiring harness section and is listed for $102. Be sureto add yourself to the list of victims http://www.bluehorizonsinc.com/cbr1kstatorlog.asp

I'll say this... If my '07 craps out after the warranty period, there's no way I'm buyinganother piece of garbage regulator from Honda.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:06 PM

i paid 213 for both parts shipped from superbikesupply.com

Old 10-16-2007, 06:23 PM

$213... Nice. I'll have to try them next time.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:48 PM

ORIGINAL: jwp6114

Its an 04 1000rr. i read the recal on 1000rr.net and it said it does not cover motorcycles that have electrical modifications. i have Digi gear indicator, blinkers and power commander. i googled honda motorcycle recals and found only a speedometer recal for a 25% error on some affected bikes. vehicle speed control recal.
the magnson moss act requires that the dealership must prove that the modifications you installed caused the problem or legally they cannot void the warranty.

there is a whole lot of threads on 1000rr about what to do and say at the dealership to make them obey the law.
of course i never spell it right so you might have to try a few different ways

Old 10-16-2007, 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: baxsom

the magnson moss act requires that the dealership must prove that the modifications you installed caused the problem or legally they cannot void the warranty.

there is a whole lot of threads on 1000rr about what to do and say at the dealership to make them obey the law.
of course i never spell it right so you might have to try a few different ways
Unfortunately the act maynot apply as this was a voluntary extension of coverage and was not in place at the time of purchase. I agree 100% that Honda should fix thissince it'sa well-known design problem.Having a Power Commander (or other benign mod) on your bike is a PATHETIC excuse to refuse repairs to the charging system.

Imade a dirt simple early warningindicator to alert me if the charging system fails. The bikewill run 30-45 minutes on the battery alone, so I shouldhave time to get it home or to a shopbefore being stranded on the side of the road.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:45 PM

It is not actually a recall. They have an extra 7 years of warranty for the stator and charging system. I think if you do a search there is someone here that scanned the warranty from Honda directly. I would contact them directly or contact (Call) several dealers and ask them directly until you find someone that will do the work under warranty. At least you will save $500 to use on the bike elsewhere or on gear if you want.

Quick Reply: My stator issue...