My Peeve of the Day

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 09:21 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My Peeve of the Day

Let me begin by saying I'm not singling anyone out and I'm not hugely pissed but I have noticed a trend and it sorta ticks me off and I just needed to rant. I started off on a Honda CX500 Custom, bought the manual and proceeded into the netherworld of bikes and the never ending bike maintenance and modding lunacy. Progressed through Ninjas, Kan-o-toonas, Busas (turbo), and finally CBR. All the while learning new things and ever always doing my own wrenching. So while I understand why it's exciting and desirable to buy a fancy sportbike as a first ride it really irritates me that these peeps don't know anything about how/why the damn things work. Just so many peeps are just fargin clueless. A guy at work rides a ZX6R and didn't even know if his bike was carb or FI.

Here's the deal for any noob that cares to read: please realize that sports bikes are tuned to a high degree and while dependable must be kept within certain specs in order to perform correctly. When you change stock parameters (new can, PCIII, jet kit, hi-flo filter) then you must either take it to someone qualified to tune it or read every thing you can find, buy the tools and do it yourself. If you don't own feeler gauges or a torque wrench then I suggest you prolly don't have the skills and should take it to someone.

Finally to end my little rant -- PLEASE use the search function on this site. If your bike will not start there are already threads in existance with very detail specific things to try. Lots of useful info on this site if you'll just take a minute to look.

O.K. I got all the estrogen out and feel better -- we now return you to your mild-mannered Chainstretcher[8D]

Old 04-29-2005, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My Peeve of the Day

A-MEN brother!!!! Even I can clean my carburetor. bunch of filthy bakas! SEARCH is a mans 3rd best friend. 1st=dog 2nd=bike/car. while ur still pissed off man, u should go to ur coworker's house, steal his bike, and sell it to me cheap. That'll teach him.[:@]

Old 04-30-2005, 01:27 AM
L8X

well Chain, we were all young noobs once right? heck i still am! sometimes people have gotta live and learn. of course we dont want them to die or get seriously hurt in the process (thats why we have these forums!) but you know how hard it is to tell a young buck something he doesnt want to hear. [:@] please please please get a beater bike to learn on first people! take the damn course. and for god's sake wear you damn gear. a moment of attempted glory is not worth a lifetime of pain. when you have learned to whip that piece of **** to keep up with the new 600s and 1000s, THEN get a newer bike. [&:]

Old 04-30-2005, 04:28 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Let it out man!! Sounds like you gots some issues to air Tell it all!!!

Old 04-30-2005, 11:57 PM

Yeah i can relate with you guys on this one...i grew up riding fourwheelers and fixing them myself all the way...then dirtbikes...then finally when it was coming time close to my 16th...well actually i think i got it when i was 15...we saw a 1977 kawasaki KH400 tripple 2stroker and that was my very first rode bike...rode it around the yard n **** it was awesome...bought it for $400 sold it for $500 and put a couple thousand miles on it...also rode my fathers Suzuki GS1100 that was stroked out...then the #757th Vmax ever made...that was my moms '97 bandit 1200 '98 honda vfr800 those were all my parents rides and finally bought my own suzuki bandit 1200 which i rode until last yr this time and finally got my honda 954...all of which i've turned my own wrenches on and hate letting other people touch them...only thing i allow other people to do on my bikes now is balance my tires since i have no access to one of them machines small enough to fit the axle holes...anyway i know people that go out and buy 6's and 1000's for bikes and luckly they haven't crashed...but like u said they don't know **** and don't appreciate their machines....i don't mind helping friends out but there is definatly an appreciation when u come up with lesser machines and know the ins and outs

Old 05-01-2005, 05:17 PM

i bought a 96 suzuki bandito today [8D] its not like ur bandit though reeve, its only a 600

They say to check those pipes to see if the bike is cold before starting it, to see how it sounds. BUT you ppl didnt tell me that it gets hot as **** after it runs for a few minutes. Where was my cbr love, why wasnt I warned? my 2 middle fingers on my left hand are still cooking. The bike also has a divi trunk on it. Any of you ppl have those ???

Old 05-01-2005, 05:48 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

snooker -- the pipe don't get hot, the bike just likes you .... here's yer sign ...

Old 05-01-2005, 06:45 PM

Hey, did "they" also tell you to grab the front tire while your moving to see if the tire is rotating the right direction also?

Old 05-01-2005, 11:28 PM

ORIGINAL: snookay
BUT you ppl didnt tell me that it gets hot as **** after it runs for a few minutes. Where was my cbr love, why wasnt I warned? my 2 middle fingers on my left hand are still cooking.
Snook, your starting to worry me! I haven't seen an exhaust yet that won't give you nice, white finger tips after it's been running for a few minutes. Considering that an explosion of gas and air just blew through it at about 1200 degrees F.

I can't believe you touched it to see if it was warm. Well I guess you learned a valuable lesson. If it can discolor chrome, it can discolor skin too.

Glad you found a bike..!

-Del

Old 05-02-2005, 10:23 PM

ORIGINAL: chainstretcher
here's yer sign ...
LOL !