My new bike, help

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new bike, help

Hi, just got a new to me 04 1000rr, I'm about to take a long road trip on it from fl to mn. I installed a cig lighter so I could charge my iPhone(need the gps) but I didn't really have a good way to mount it.

The help part, I duct taped it under the battery tray, but I really don't know if it's going to hold well. I need an idea of how to make it stay put. Any good way to make it stick to plastic? Perhaps a glue that won't melt?

Old 06-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plastic tie wraps would hold it if you can find somewhere to wrap them around. Maybe the frame?

Also, wherever you put it be sure it is in a fairly waterproof location. Maybe tie wrap it to a large wire harness inside the fairing.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with RJ. Your going to want to keep it from getting wet. I would suggest instead of having it outside the bike, place the plug inside the rear compartment under the rear seat. You can just leave it loose in there and leave a little extra wire so you can just lift it out to plug in what ever you want. Also, this will allow you to put what ever is being charged in the rear compartment as well ( as long as its small, like a phone). It will charge while your driving and be safe in the compartment. You shouldn't have to drill any holes or anything either. You can slide the wires between the tail section and the frame and into the battery compartment. There are plenty of gaps to feed wires through. You may want to add a piece of shrink tubing on any contact area just to make certain nothing will ever arc, but there is plenty of room, so its only as a caution.

I would however make sure your plug has a cover. You can buy most of them with a rubber cover so you don't end up with anythign falling into the plug.

Another thing you can do if you put it in the rear compartment is buy some adhesive backed velcro. Place one side on in the compartment and then wrap the plug with the other side. This way you can just lay it on the velcro and it will stick right there until you need it.