My First Bike. What do you Think

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Bike. What do you Think

I just recieved a 05 1000 cbr as a gift for my work with my wrestling team. However this is my first bike and i am planing on taking it very slow (practicing alot before i take it on the highway), and although i really wanted to start out on a 600 what do you all think about my ability to learn on this bike.
I am 5'7 150 lbs very athletic if any of this helps.
Thanks for you input.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Default RE: My First Bike. What do you Think

trade it in for a 600

Old 03-14-2007, 04:12 PM

Welcome,

I started on a 600 and wouldn't recommend that starting on a 1k is a prudent or 'safe' thing to do. As Capt1014 says, you could trade it in or sell it- if it has no miles on it that should work out in your favor, and you could use the remaining funds for riding gear. If it were my decision, I would go for a 600 again in a heartbeat.

Regardless of the bike, your plan ( taking it very slow) is absolutely the correct one. You didn't mention if you have any experience on other bikes. It sounds like you realise that you have one of the most powerful production bikes available on the market.

Everyone here will recommend that you take the MSF course if you haven't already. It may be expensive, and you may have to wait to get in, but its worthwhile, and may save you from the mistakes we have all seen and made as new riders.

Take some time ( I did my first 100 miles or more) in a parking lot, and get used to the bike. Keep it at low (below 6000) revs and its a manageable bike, above that it becomes an animal.

So, take the class, get all the safety gear, give yourself time to learn and ride within your limits. Good luck and again welcome, I hope you love the bike.... and we hear more about your safe progress as a new rider.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:43 PM

Dont do it. Nice gift, bad idea!

Old 03-14-2007, 06:28 PM

Welcome and Congrats on your new Bike!!!

First things first,defintely take the Motorcycle Safety Course. From there, decide if you want to keep the bike or not. No one can make that decision but you.

My first bike was an 06 1000RR after taking the safety course. This decision was made against an overwhelming voice of opposition from more experienced riders. About 80% said it was a bad idea. I wouldn't recommed my decision to you or anyone else becase that ultimate responsibility rests on upon your shoulders.

With that said(with any bike),make sure to practice (parking lot etc) as much as you can before hitting the road. You don't want to have to think about an action when traffic is coming down on you...you want that action to be second nature...part of your reflexes. So make sure you are familiar with handling the bike before engaging in traffic.

Other than that, only you know your mentality. Any bike will get you into trouble..the more powerful, the easier it is to make a mistake and harderto recover. But in either case, do not let anyone put fear into you about any size bike. They all have brakes, a clutch etc. The most important factor is you knowing your limit, taking your time,and not trying to do something silly or daring that will get you hurt.

As a beginner, get frame sliders to help protect the bike in case you fall. Take Care and Ride Safe.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:49 PM

That's like assisted suicide!They must not like you very much.
[sm=joke.gif]That's very nice of them but if I was you I would trade it in for a different bike and with what's left over get some gear. A good helmet, jacket , gloves, and some boots. Like some of these bums said take theMSF course and if you decide to keep it be careful and good luck.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:12 PM

If you do decide to keep the 1k. TAKE IT SLOW AS HELL- NO MONKEY SEE MONKEY DO OR ELSE MONKEY IS GONNA BUST HIS ***!

Old 03-14-2007, 10:37 PM

First- TAKE A MOTORCYCLE SAFETY COURSE!! They usually provide a bike and it coveres a lot of basics and other things that you might learn the hard way if you don't take the course.

Second- Treat the bike with respect. A friend of mine decided to get a GSXR1000 as a first bike and didn't follow rule #1. He got a full 72 miles before totaling it after acidentally hitting the gas too hard. BTW - that reminds me - ammendment to rule one: And always wear protective gear.

The CBR1000 is a tame bike as long as your are gentle. Smack it the wrong way and it will bite you quicker than a hungry sumo wrestler with a snickers bar.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:55 PM

I'd say trade it on a 600 and use the excess to get gear and training. For reference, I'm picking up my first 1000 tomorrow (2007 Repsol) and were it not for the replica getting release, I wouldn't have done it (as my 675 has ample power). I did the MSF, logged 3000+ miles on an F4i and thengot another 5000 under my belt between a Daytona 675 and an R6 I picked up to use as a track bike. I started riding dirt (flat track style) to improve throttle control a few months ago (worked wonders). I've also done Cornerspin, have CSS Lvls 1 & 2 next week, then Cornerspeed at VIR, followed by track day after track day. All that, and I'm still hesitant about the 1000. Damn Honda and their MotoGP win....

Personally, I'd suggest honing your skills on a smaller bike. Just my $0.02 - be safe with whatever you do...

Ryan

Old 03-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wonderin:
Who's idea was it to get you this gift?
What kind of wrestling team?
Were you interested in riding before you received this very generous gift?