my bike's chain is dry

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 05:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my bike's chain is dry

Greeting,
lately i realised that my bike chain is dry, i was wondering does a bicycle chain lube work on my bike chain lube?
any replacements incasei couldnt find one?
and how do i use it i simply spray it on the chain and the sprockets?

Old 08-29-2009, 07:07 AM

the best stuff I have used is called chain guard. It has a clinging agent that reduces fling off when the bike is ridden, "although it still flings off".

To put it on, ride your bike for a few miles to get the chian warmed up. if you have a rear stand, put the bike on the stand. with the bike in neutral, spin the tire with one hand while applying the lube with the other. Simply spray it on the chain evenly as the wheel is rotated around. It can go on fairly sparingly, so you don't have to load it up. If you don't have a stand, just do it in small steps. Lube the chain you can see, roll the bike ahead until you come across a part of the chain that is not lubed, stop, lube the chain..... keep doing this until your chain is lubed. You dont lube the sprockets. they will be lubed from the chain.

I only apply the lube to the inside of the chain. As the bike is used, the lube will be forced to the outside. This helps to reduce the amount of lube that flys off.

Ive seen people that use plain motor oil. in fact, my owners manual for my old F3 suggested a 5 w motor oil every 500 miles. But I would try to find some proper lube.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:49 AM

"ChainWax".......... great stuff, not messy, wont fly off if you let it dry a couple minutes before riding......

Old 08-29-2009, 01:50 PM

Repsol makes some good chain lube, too.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=justasquid;829692]the best stuff I have used is called chain guard. It has a clinging agent that reduces fling off when the bike is ridden, "although it still flings off".[QUOTE]

Squid this is the only time I have ever disagreed with you. Chain Guard is crap. It gets all over the bike. Castrol Chain Wax is awesome stuff. It doesn't fling and it doesn't attract a lot of dirt. Or you could use WD-40..... I'm kidding.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:06 PM

chainwax is the only way to go

Old 08-30-2009, 02:22 AM

oh 10xs guys so ill look for chain wax, or chain lube.
this forum is amazing

Old 08-30-2009, 07:47 AM

Squid this is the only time I have ever disagreed with you. Chain Guard is crap. It gets all over the bike. Castrol Chain Wax is awesome stuff. It doesn't fling and it doesn't attract a lot of dirt. Or you could use WD-40..... I'm kidding.
hmm. maybe I'll have to re-evalutate the chain wax. I used it in the past, but it didnt seam to sink into the rollers like the chain guard does. Plus, I use the chain guard very sparingly, if you load it on, it will fly all over the place. It really doesnt take much to lube the chain. I spin the rear tire about as fast as I can and only spray about 2 seconds worth of lube on the entire chain. But, I did have a friend swear by the chain wax now that I think about .... I'll have to give it another try.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:32 AM

I'm kind of obsessive about my bikes cleanliness so I started cleaning the old chain wax off with WD-40 on a rag before I put the new chain wax on. That keeps it from building up.... I clean my rear sprocket too. I then coat the inside of the chain with the chain wax, I put a peice of thin cardboard between the chain and the bike to keep the spray off the bike. I do about 6 or 8 inches of chain and then move the tire. I coat it twice and then leave it set over night..... its ready to roll after a few minutes though....... I now have 13,000 miles on this chain, no visible signs of wear, I've done 1 chain adjustment but 2 tire changes .......... never the less, the adjusters show "good" so I'm happy with this method..... clean and it works.......

Old 09-07-2009, 09:20 PM

I highly recommend "Chain Wax". Minimal Fling and works well.

Quick Reply: my bike's chain is dry