CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/)
-   -   More Pics: BAD MOTOR PROBLEM !!!!!!!! (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/more-pics-bad-motor-problem-62574/)

jwp6114 03-16-2008 06:50 PM

More Pics: BAD MOTOR PROBLEM !!!!!!!!

Events leading up to... 04 CBR1000RR 18000 miles.

A while back i had stator and stator wheel changed due to charging system failure by dealership....

Not too long after stator issue i had the 16,000 mile servicing, new plugs and valve adjustment, installed BMC race filters...

Now 2,000 miles later. Had been hearing a slight knock in the engine but not bad enugh to concern me and it would go away after bike warmed up....

Today... cranked it up... heard the slight knock... Took it down the road... knock did not stop... Knock got worse.... took it back to the house after 2 miles... checked the oil...HAD TO ADD 1.8 QT.... Damn near empty although no sighns of an oil leek... MOTOR IS HURT, Lacking power. Drags real bad...

I intend to take off the stator cover and see if its full of oul... other than tha i have no clue... im gona call honda dealer monday.

What you think????

Ty 03-16-2008 08:19 PM

RE: BAD MOTOR PROBLEM !!!!!!!!

Is there oil in the radiator fluid? Have you noticed any oil burning? Sounds like a spun bearing maybe. Let's hope not.

jwp6114 03-17-2008 06:20 AM

i will check the radiator. oil was not millky. Tuesday i am going to truck it up to the dealer and let them lisen to it. if they will not fix it for free under the valve adjustment/oil change they did i am going to ship it to a good friend of mine who owns a power sports shop in Johnstown PA. (Mark Audi, of Audi's powersports) Great guy, said if i ship him the engine he would tare it apart and tell me what parts i need before he charges me a dime. to see if i want it rebuilt. and his shop rate is 40$ an hour. Gret friend of mine. I live in GA and i get tires and stuff from him all the time.

jwp6114 03-17-2008 09:47 AM

I think when the dealership did the oil change they didn't fill it up with oil.

Ty 03-17-2008 10:11 AM

Do we have magnetic drain plugs? If the bearing is spun you should have metal flakes on the drain plug and in the bottom of the pan.

jwp6114 03-17-2008 03:40 PM

I am going to wait until i talk to the dealer tuesday before i drain the oil. but i would be willing to bet some metal comes out with the oil.

openclasspro 03-17-2008 08:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Ty

Do we have magnetic drain plugs? If the bearing is spun you should have metal flakes on the drain plug and in the bottom of the pan.
no

jwp6114 03-18-2008 06:27 PM

I had about a 30 min. sit down talk with the store manager and the service department manager. Prior to that they printed me a list of all charges since 1-1-08 the 16,000 miole servicing and the stator work was on it. and on the 16,000 nile oil change they charged me for a oil filter but there was no charge on there for the OIL. They said their oil comes out of a 55 gallon drum and cost was included in the labor. At the end of the discussion it ended that they would not pay for the tear down and inspection of the engine. so i told him i would consult corprate honda aswell as my lawyer for further advice. I intend to call corprate honda tomarrow.

Does anyone have that number handy???

openclasspro 03-18-2008 08:57 PM

how do you know the map in the pc3 or pc3 itself didn't act up?

jwp6114 03-19-2008 06:29 AM

I can check the map in it, but i dont think there is anny thing you can do to the fuel system to cause sutch a knock in the engine. My pc3 does not control the ignition, just the fuel air ratio. and i can feel the knock on the engine case. an extreem fuel/air mix either way lean or ritch should not make an engine knock on the top and bottom end.

By the way honda corprate motorcycle division phone number is 1-866-784-1870 open 6:30 Pacific time monday to friday.

openclasspro 03-19-2008 02:41 PM

run the engine a tad to circulate oil then drain some out and send some to www.blackstone labs.com for a analysis-fyi a rich running engine can cause the fuel to wash the oil off the cylinder walls-while a lean one- we all know what that can cause-also the pcm can cause an electronic short t/o the wiring for the fuel injectors

Ty 03-19-2008 03:18 PM

ORIGINAL: openclasspro

run the engine a tad to circulate oil then drain some out and send some to www.blackstone labs.com for a analysis-fyi a rich running engine can cause the fuel to wash the oil off the cylinder walls-while a lean one- we all know what that can cause-also the pcm can cause an electronic short t/o the wiring for the fuel injectors
Good link. Do we have reputation points here, because you need some for that. Have you used those guys? The sample reports on their website look pretty complete, and they make sending the oil to them a snap. 22 bucks isn't bad at all for the analysis. I ordered my free oil sampling kit. I'm gonna change my oil to start the season in a week or two and I'll send some in I think. Would I use the viscosities to tell me how "worn out" the oil is? I looked at the samples and was wondering what values would show the actual wear of the oil. I have no problems with the bike and change about every 4-5k with Repsol full syn. I think it would be interesting to know how much the oil breaks down during that time. Might be some good info for the "oil war" threads around here. Hopefully, it doesn't show any problems. I am just really interested in the oil deterioration rate, since most of our oil discussions have something to do with how long the oil holds up. Again, GOOD LINK.

openclasspro 03-19-2008 03:25 PM

forgot hyphen-www.blackstone-labs.com
use them all the time for alalysis on my once a year amsoil vehicle oil changes-for my rr too- 2 of my buddy's have bike shops that use them as well-good co with full detailed report- i told op to use them so he has a leg to stand on if there was an oil related issue-phil

jwp6114 03-19-2008 09:17 PM

Corporate honda said they could not make the dealer do the work do to the fact that Cycle City of Newnan, GA is a privately owned and operated business.

SO... I began removal of my own engine...

http://www.putfile.com/album/0/jwp6114

feel free to check out the rest of the pics on my putfile page

jwp6114 03-19-2008 09:27 PM

I intend to have the engine out by tomarrow afternoon, and build a shipping crate friday to ship it to Audi's powersports in Johnstown, PA. Awsome mechanic, and gives great deals on parts and accessories shipped to your door.

SD2007 03-19-2008 10:28 PM

ORIGINAL: jwp6114

SO... I began removal of my own engine...

Seeing those pictures brings back memories of the ZX-9R days...

[IMG]local://upfiles/15079/FDF3B9974DDD4075A9B1ED94D24412BF.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15079/53DCBF848AE84C3793F8BA90BC7273B5.jpg[/IMG]

openclasspro 03-20-2008 04:15 AM

the ole 94 zx9 was a tank- stable but a tank- had a green / white one

SD2007 03-20-2008 11:12 PM

Mine was a '98,which I thinkwassupposedly 22 lbs. lighter than thepervious generation ZX9s. Even still, itwasworlds apart from the'07 1000RRI have now. :)

jwp6114 03-21-2008 10:01 AM

yea, just finnished cataloging all of my guns for insurance purposes. The engine is ready to pull, but i want to get the shipping crate finnished first. i will ship it up north monday or tuesday. Puting it all back togather is going to be a feat. WOW at all the damn little hoses and airbox/ram air assembly is many parts too.

jwp6114 03-25-2008 08:31 AM

Got her out and in a crate last night.

[IMG]local://upfiles/504/F27A4E6F5FEB4CD3B4B92CDC50C6130C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/504/6542BE7E51C448B084EFE8A6700CA280.jpg[/IMG]

jwp6114 03-28-2008 07:47 AM

Tick toc... Tick toc... waiting on the engine shop...

jwp6114 04-09-2008 08:01 PM

Well...

after tearing it apart.. I have a laundry list of parts needed.

one piston, one set of rings, one connecting rod, all 4 lower rod bearings, crank shaft, all crank bearings, and three transmission gears. Grand total of repair will be 1,700 USD... thats with shipping back and fourth, parts, and labor.

jwp6114 04-13-2008 02:54 PM

Should have engine back by the end of this week.

TK954RR 04-13-2008 03:59 PM

Just curious on the gears, were they bad, or just a lil worn and doing them for preventative maint while its apart?

jwp6114 04-13-2008 04:30 PM

He said there were badly cracked. he said he didn't see how it was still going into gear. but it didn't seem that bad while i rode it last. but replacing them while we are in there.

jwp6114 04-28-2008 07:38 AM

I will have my engine back and will begin re-installation on monday may the 5th. I also will have pics of the bad parts and innards of the engine.

Will1000RR 04-28-2008 11:51 AM

Hey Jwp..

I know exactly what ur talking about because I had the 04' CBR 1000RR with the same issues. Knew I had heard about issues electrical/charges issues with the 04' and 05' but didnt think much of it until.....bam !!! it happened. I was riding with mygirl when all of a sudden it became very weak, lights were very very dim and rpm shot down to zero. I had at the time maybe about 16-17,000 miles when this happened. Anyways had it checked and the rectifier was a gonner but luckly not the stator that was ok. Battery had to also be changed. In between this issue and the loss of oil, I was suspecting another problem. On another day while riding, the same was you it had this knocking sound, red oil light was going on when I wondered "what the hell"..and sure enough..it was..the engine was bone dry... mind you there were absolutely no oil leaks whatsoever... Come to find out from my friends that they noticed my exhaust spitting smokes at certail rpm + giving it gas...and I also heard the these specific model CBR's tend to smoke a little ...thus leading to the loss of oil via the exhaust... I had to check every now and then the oil level and add accordingly.By then I had about 19k when I decided to get rid of it.

It would interesting to know what ur mechanic discovers, whether its fixable and how much was it worth it....

Good luck...

jwp6114 04-30-2008 06:55 PM

Just added photo's sent from my mechanic. i will be putting it back in starting monday. Grand total of repair was 2100$ after shipping.

jwp6114 05-08-2008 03:47 PM

Got the engine back tuesday. installation is going well. i should have it fured up by friday afternoon. I will post up some pics of the finnished product along with my new red demon eyes when all is finnished.