lowering

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 07:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lowering

hEY all..im new to the 1000RR world, picking up bike on Tuesday, Anyone know if its possible to lower seat height a little...
2007 CBR 1000 RR

Last edited by horse_power777; 03-03-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll get mixed opinions on this one. It can be lowered, but doing so can upset the ballance of the bike. You can buy lowering links that will lower the rear suspension of the bike. The front fork tubes are normally set higher in the triple clamp which lowers the front. Depending on how much you lower it, will determine how much it will affect the bikes handling. You should also try to lower the front at least half as much. If you lower the rear 1.5 inches, try to lower the front 3/4". Normally, though, most front ends can't be lowered more than 3/4" without revavling the front forks. About 3/4" is about that max you want to go. Anymore, and you will run the risk of your front fender hitting your upper fairng.

Also an issue, is most 1000RR's have a small keeper ring on the fork tube which doesn't allow you to push the fork tube through making it impossible to lower the front in this manner.

In my opinion, if your not an aggressive rider in the corners and you are lowering it because you can't touch comfortably, then lower it. The trade off from the handling change is acceptable if it allows you to control your bike at a rest. If your only doing to for looks, don't lower it.

If your only looking for a half inch or so. But an adjustable rear lowering link. Then you can set it just low enough for you and reduce the amount the bikes handling will be affected. You can usually find some decent buys on ebay.

Last edited by justasquid; 03-03-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:31 PM

Thanks JustSquid, yeah Im just looking to reduce the stress on the tip-toe factor not for looks or racing just normal cruising, I heard about lowering links for the rear and can possibly recover 1/2-1 inch of height, I was hoping if tried this that i wouldn't need to adjust the front (forks etc) - what do you think ill give that a try, maybe i should i ride her a little first so i got something to compare with when i make the change!

Last edited by horse_power777; 03-03-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:31 PM

I would suggest getting the adjustable rear lowering link. If your only looking at a half inch, you probably won't affect the handling that much and shouldn't have to adjust the front. But only lower as much as needed. On some bikes, you can shave some of the foam from the seat, but theres not much foam on that bike. You can however shape the sides of the seat a bit. If you narrow the seat on the sides, your legs won't be spread as far and you will be able to touch better. I'm not sure what foot wear you have, but if your just in shoes, you may want to consider a decent pair of boots. Some boots will give you a little more heal.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:33 PM
August 2011 ROTM

Soupy's http://www.soupysperformance.com/cat...00/4958867.htm

You can easily adjust the height without taking the link off. So after you got used to, if you wanna bring the bike up to stock height, all you have to do it to turn two bolts and change the height.

As far as the seats, if you shave your bike's seat. (600rr and 1000rr) your leg actually spread wider than stock seat and you will not gain any inches.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by yumoncbr
Soupy's GSXR600 Lowering Kit, GSXR-750 Lowering Link, GSXR1000 Lowering Links, GSXR600 Adjustable Kickstand, GSXR-1000 Shortened Kickstand

You can easily adjust the height without taking the link off. So after you got used to, if you wanna bring the bike up to stock height, all you have to do it to turn two bolts and change the height.

As far as the seats, if you shave your bike's seat. (600rr and 1000rr) your leg actually spread wider than stock seat and you will not gain any inches.
Thanks Yumon..great info. should I get one from soupy site? it claims
to only gain +or- 1.5 inches. geezs I need at least 3. haha. thats a great tip. Just got the bike to-nite .I rode the new (used) bike home for the first time. It was so awesome I couldn't help it and went back out again late at night. This is some pics of the new baby. The ride was so wtf Im so pumped cant sleep.

Attached Thumbnails lowering-cbr09.jpg   lowering-cbr7.jpg   lowering-cbr122.jpg  
Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 AM
August 2011 ROTM

It can get lower up to 3 inches. You might wanna get adjustable kickstand too
Nice color scheme

Old 03-06-2012, 07:09 PM

Thats only if you shave the center out. If you only shave the sides, leave the center it will make the seat narrower, your legs will be more vertical giving you more reach.

Good tip on the adjustable kickstand. Thats one area that is often overlooked.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by yumoncbr
It can get lower up to 3 inches. You might wanna get adjustable kickstand too
Nice color scheme
Thanks

Adjustable links and kickstand are on their way. express 5 days I hope to get here. You know its not the height per say, cause im pretty good at trying not to stop, its more the rear angle is so high its throwing my balance forward way too much, like riding on the front wheel, not a natural feeling at all, so i cant wait and hope the links will straighten the rear at perfect riding height for my shape.

Attached Thumbnails lowering-trips2_032_site_1.jpg   lowering-kickstands2_013_tn.jpg  
Old 03-10-2012, 09:32 PM

You know its not the height per say, cause im pretty good at trying not to stop, its more the rear angle is so high its throwing my balance forward way too much, like riding on the front wheel, not a natural feeling at all, so i cant wait and hope the links will straighten the rear at perfect riding height for my shape.
With the 1000RR of that year, it puts you up and over the tank so your on the bike and not really sitting in the bike like a lot of others. Its a very aggressive riding position for sure. It was designed this way to really help you get into postion for a aggressive riding. What ever you do to your bike, try to make sure you don't loose too much pressure from the front end. This bike was designed for a lot of front end pressure and if you take too much away, you may experiece some ill effects. These bikes were designed for aggressive riding. They are basically a race bike with street tires and their riding positioning reflects that.

Make sure you log on a few miles to become acustomed to the way it handles before you get aggressive with it. Your braking, cornering and especially low speed driving will be different.

Quick Reply: lowering