Looking for a bit of advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a bit of advice

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums and I was looking for a bit of advice. I've looked over this site and many of the members seem to be very knowledgeable and safety oriented. I've been doing some research for buying my first street bike, and IInitially wanted to buy a 2005 CBR 1000RR. Now I am not completely without experience, I have had several dirt bikes in the past but I realize I'm comparing apples to oranges. The more I've read the more I realized that I have absolutely no business buying a 1000RR. I'm not a kid and the days of bad decisions are for the most part in the past. However, it seems it would be wise to take a step back and buy a bike more suited to my skill level (noob). I have been leaning towards a 2004 599 or a Ducati Monster 600. The Ducati came into play after I found the 599 due to their similar styles. I will eventually move up to a 1000RR but for now I'll concentrate on the basics. Any comments or suggestions on one bike over the other or a different bike all together would be greatly appreciated. Also, just to let you know a bit about myself, I'm 32years old,6'2", and220lbs. Theuse will be a daily driver with frequent trips on the interstate 40 to 50 miles one way (gas prices are a bitch, and back roads will be used for a bit untill I get a feel for the bike). Thanks for taking the time to look at my post and all comments are appreciated.

D

Old 04-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Default RE: Looking for a bit of advice

The 599 would be a good choice. I would also recomend the SV650.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:36 PM

How much Dirt bike exp do you have? Throttle control is a huge thing with any bike. A 1K is not out of the question if you can control a bike. I know a lot of people will disagree with me. I learned a bunch from riding dirt bikes. What to do and what not to do. Not everything can carry over to street. But a majority of it can. Your age is a huge factor too. But in the end its your choice. What ever you get I hope youre safe and enjoy it. (Monster)

Old 05-01-2008, 07:21 AM

Sorry I haven't had a chance to reply until now. I grew up riding dirt bikes I started when I was about 10 or 11, and I sold my last bike a couple years ago (98 YZF 400). It was a nice bike but that year they had alot of problems starting the bike and trying a hot start could be almost impossible at times. They fixed the problem in 99 but I didn't figure this out till it was to late. I'm rambling.... I do have a good bit of experience on dirt and I agree throttle control is key.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good choice with the 600cc as a noob and get to know that for a 1-2 yrs then switch to 1k ....thats just my take..

Old 05-01-2008, 08:58 AM

ALL bikes are controllable if YOU have control. Buy the bike that you like the most and are most comfortable on, you will have to live with it everyday! I grew up on dirtbikes, and my first streetbike was a Kawi 750 turbo. I then went to a Honda XX, then a Busa..GSXR1000....CBR1000RR. Don't let the size of a bikes displacement scare you. Why buy small if you grow tired of it after 6-8 months? Looks and comfort are the most important...you buy it, you own it, YOU ride it!

Old 05-01-2008, 11:29 AM

I hear you on the control issue, and I could very well buy a 1000RR to start off with and be just fine. However, I think I'll start off with a 600 or 750 just to get the feel. Plus with gas prices and the economy the way it is, I don't see a problem selling my starter bike 6 or 8 months down the road with a minimal loss (buying used to begin with).

Old 05-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Just buy a Turbo'ed 1000 and park it outside starbucks you'll be fine yo. just make sure you keep your helmet on your back seat when you ride. dont wanna mess up the doo!

Old 05-02-2008, 01:16 AM

An 04 or 06 599 would be a GREAT starter bike. I put 12,000 miles on my 04 in a year and a half before swapping up to my 1000rr. I really do miss that bike. Tons o' fun. And don't let anyone try to tell you they're underpowered. They can be little screamers when you let the revs fly.

Be sure to check out www.honda599.com if you haven't already. I haven't had my 599 in over 2 years and it's still my favorite forum.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:34 PM

Its all about the rider. Size of the bike doesn't matter. My first street bike was an 04Buell XB12R. Tons of torque and one wheelie happy machine. Had it for 6 months. My next bike was my 1000RR. If your a responsible person and can learn your machine then who cares what size you start with.

Quick Reply: Looking for a bit of advice