Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kph - mph

Hey new guy here...

Just for a little background information I just traded someone this

for this

First thing first... Its a 2006 1000rr imported from Japan
(it has all the warning stickers in Japanese still)

The only issue Ive seen so far with the bike is the speedo and well everything in the display is in KPH and Celsius

I have tried pressing the 2 little (set and reset) buttons to get it to switch to MPH (I had an r6 before and Ive done this on accident)
But nothing works so far... so do I need to go to a dealer or something and have them do something with the computer inside it? Or get a new American made one?

Old 09-05-2010, 05:06 AM

Doesnt anybody know this... it should be fairly simple

Old 09-05-2010, 06:20 AM

Looks like it's time to learn the metric system. Sorry I don't have an answer for you but I just wanted to say that flip flops and cbr's go really well together.....lol.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know on the american bikes you can switch it but I don't know about the jap ones.

This function is done AFTER the digital clock settings. To set the clock, PRESS and HOLD both the SEL button and the RESET button for more than 2 seconds. RESET button will change the hour and/or minutes, if you dont want to change that, press SEL to move on.

The speedometer displays both "mph" and "km/h."
The odometer/tripmeter displays both "mile" and "km."
Push the RESET button to select 'mph'/'mph' and 'km/h / km.'
To end the selection, push the SEL button.
The display will stop flashing automatically if the button is not pressed for about 30 seconds.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:27 PM

Yeah I tried the reset button already... I guess Ill call Honda and find out, I also found out that my bike is limited to 190kph (118mph) So I need to get that fixed if I want to track the bike again.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:32 PM

There may not be a way to change the speedo since the bike was only intended to be for sale in Japan. you may have to buy a different speedometer.

Also, Im not sure on your bike, but some of the restricted bikes are a pretty big pain to convert. You could have to end up changing the exhaust, the intake, the ECU.... I don't think its electronically restricted.

Being a restricted bike... is it also restricted on power? Normally, there not only speed restricted, but power as well.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Join the modern age (and the rest of the world). Metric is the way forward. Give it another 25 years and even the most die hard Americans will be selling/buying bananas in kilos. Stay ahead of the crowd and keep the gauges.
And yeah, the flip flops are simply stunning. He heh!

Old 09-06-2010, 06:59 PM

Yeah yeah, I wore the flops not thinking when I drove the jeep to trade it, then I was stuck with them for the ride home... now I have my gloves, jacket, helmet and steel loe boots (need them for work anyway) so Im good.

Do you think just changing the speedo and ECU out with American (or British because I have HISS) would suffice?

Old 09-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryM
Join the modern age (and the rest of the world). Metric is the way forward. Give it another 25 years and even the most die hard Americans will be selling/buying bananas in kilos. Stay ahead of the crowd and keep the gauges.
I heard something similar back in grade school. They said that within 10 years everything in the U.S. would be converted to the metric system. That was over 40 years ago.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:35 PM

Stay ahead of the crowd and keep the gauges.
lol. Yeah, just deal with converting kmh in your head until all speed limits are converted to kmh. its only going to take 25 years....

Join the modern age (and the rest of the world). Metric is the way forward. Give it another 25 years and even the most die hard Americans will be selling/buying bananas in kilos.
Having work in Research and Devlopment that dealt with many different countries. I can tell you its not just America that is die hard in their ways. If we were, we wouldn't have converted to metric as much as we have. And, there wouldn't be a dozen different formats of prints, there would be one that every country can read, which by the way is being fought tooth and nail by other countries.

It always cracks me up when people say America is die hard in their ways. I've seen America bending over backwards to please other countries in so many different ways, for so long, its sickening. Comments like that are so far off base and just plain ridiculous.